AFCON Egypt 2019

el3mel

Tomorrow matches :

Ivory Coast - South Africa
Tunisia - Angola
Mali - Mauritania.

el3mel

Tunisia lead Angola 1-0 via pen.

Ivory Coast earlier defeated South Africa 1-0 too.

el3mel

Ended 1-1. Poor from Tunisia. Only big teams who have impressed so far are Senegal and Algeria and they faced weak opponents.

Mali - Mauritiania next.

el3mel

Mauritania first ever goal in AFCON via pen, big moment for them apart from the result.

el3mel

Already 3 contenders for best goal of the tournament.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
How come Zaha doesn't seem to start for the Ivory Coast? Surely gotta be one of their best players on paper, looking at the squad?

el3mel

How come Zaha doesn't seem to start for the Ivory Coast? Surely gotta be one of their best players on paper, looking at the squad?
Their manager was asked about that today and dodged the question without giving a reasonable answer.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Their manager was asked about that today and dodged the question without giving a reasonable answer.
It's bizarre to me. You've got one of the best players in the premier league outside the top six clubs and somebody with genuine match winning ability who would go for 60m+ if sold, and instead you're starting a player in Kodjia who couldn't even get double figures in the championship. Zaha is pretty versatile too and has played anywhere in the front three the last couple of seasons.

Usually in these situations I try not to judge because a coach knows his players more and generally has his reasons, but it does feel like something he should be explaining when players of a far lesser quality are starting. Like jesus, when Max Gradel who barely looked a footballer for Bournemouth is starting but Zaha's benched, something is up..

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He was a regular in their world cup qualifying campaign but didn't really do a lot.

Pepe guy is probably better given the season he had for Lille so guess they maybe don't want to play two out and out wingers.

Interesting Kodj scored, might be putting himself in the shop window as he hasn't been the same since his bad injuries for us in his first season and not sure he'll be that effective in premier league.

el3mel

Ended 4-1. Great match. As usual the matches I don't expect much from then end up being great.

Tomorrow matches :

Ghana - Benin
Cameroon - Guinea-Bissau

The group whose all teams have the same flag colors. :lol:

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
He was a regular in their world cup qualifying campaign but didn't really do a lot.

Pepe guy is probably better given the season he had for Lille so guess they maybe don't want to play two out and out wingers.

Interesting Kodj scored, might be putting himself in the shop window as he hasn't been the same since his bad injuries for us in his first season and not sure he'll be that effective in premier league.
Zaha has played a good portion of his games leading the line and is clearly a far better player than Kodjia. Also, Zaha is no less an out an out winger than Max Gradel who started the game .. just a better one.

Even if he has been poor in some qualifying games I doubt his alternatives have been ripping it up, and it seems silly to not try and get in your best player on paper (Pepe had a great season but I'd say doing it in the PL is a different ballgame, could be another Thauvin).

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I'm overall pleased with this CAN edition. Most of the teams are quite drilled and organized, despite having high technical limitations.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I think Guiné Bissau can actually cause some troubles

Mama Baldé is actually a consistent winger that can actually get a place in a better club and I can see Frederic Mendy causing some problems with his strength. He will bully defenders a lot with his powerful physique.

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
I'll be surprised if my Black Stars serve anything other than shit on a stick football tonight.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I'll be surprised if my Black Stars serve anything other than shit on a stick football tonight.
Not the best Ghana generation talent wise, one must have to admit. Not a bad squad, tbh. But yeah, lacks some teeth upfront to win the competition, but if Ghana manages to keep themselves on the counter I think the combo Atsu + Ayew brothers might cause some damage.
In organized attack they will lack presence and creativity though.

But Cameroon are far in a more complicated position. They always had 2/3 top players, but now they seem to lack some real gems.

steve zizou

Not the best Ghana generation talent wise, one must have to admit. Not a bad squad, tbh. But yeah, lacks some teeth upfront to win the competition, but if Ghana manages to keep themselves on the counter I think the combo Atsu + Ayew brothers might cause some damage.
In organized attack they will lack presence and creativity though.

But Cameroon are far in a more complicated position. They always had 2/3 top players, but now they seem to lack some real gems.
Tbf we are what youll call a tournament team. Despite not playing any decent football since 2010, weve made the 7 semi-final (2 final) appearances in last 7 AFCON. Lord knows we've had our unfair share of heartbreaks. Expecting the same this year.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Tbf we are what youll call a tournament team. Despite not playing any decent football since 2010, weve made the 7 semi-final (2 final) appearances in last 7 AFCON. Lord knows we've had our unfair share of heartbreaks. Expecting the same this year.
I know what you mean. Ghana is clearly taylor suited for a counter style. The defense is quite solid tbh, the midfield is built on determined players and in the attack you have some explosive players and an experienced striker in Asamoah.

The Ayew brothers are a bit careless on the offball team work, though.

NYAS

By far the highlight of yesterday’s action was seeing Adama Traore score for Mali, then be replaced by Adama Traore, who also scored for Mali.

steve zizou

By far the highlight of yesterday’s action was seeing Adama Traore score for Mali, then be replaced by Adama Traore, who also scored for Mali.
Neither of whom is the Adama Traore who plays for Wolves.

ashfritz

Supports
Liverpool
Heard they are letting people in at half time for free, no need for fan ID since the non Egypt games are empty. Will try to get into Nigeria Guinea tomorroe, could be an interesting one.