AFCON Egypt 2019

el3mel

Seems like there's no thread on this so far. Anyone is planning to follow it ? Any African friends here with me ? :D

Here're the the groups :

First game is on June 21th, Egypt vs Zimbabwe.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Mane to win it all.

Senegal disappointed me at last WC, thought they'd get out of what was a tricky group I guess.

izec

Will probably just watch the better games and knockout games. Dont know which team to root for, maybe Cameroon or Guinea.

There are some very strong teams. Senegal have the best one on paper, but lets see

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Seems like there's no thread on this so far. Anyone is planning to follow it ? Any African friends here with me ? :D

Here're the the groups :

We were waiting for you to create the thread!

Anyway as is tradition, Egypt are favorites.

Mane to win it all.

Senegal disappointed me at last WC, thought they'd get out of what was a tricky group I guess.
They were eliminated on the finest of margins.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I thought they'd beat Poland and Japan, rated them that highly and thought they could possibly emulate 2002. Colombia going down to 10 men so early and then losing to Japan messed things up in the group a bit for Senegal.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Nigeria all the way!

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Just looking at a few of the squads and really surprised to see South African team is mainly home based. I know they've been in decline for a while but they had a very talented squad in late 90s. You'd also think hosting the WC almost a decade ago now would've inspired a new generation but obviously not.

An english guy actually coaches them, Stuart Baxter.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Fancy Morocco to win it, they should be 2nd favourites for me. Think they’re the best African side currently and we’re excellent at the World Cup. Would have them favourites if it wasn’t for Egypt being the hosts.

Algeria will be a disappointment again. Watched them today v Burundi and once again they were very poor. Watched the majority of their games the past few years and they almost never play well. On paper they are excellent but just can’t play as a team.

The Original

Just looking at a few of the squads and really surprised to see South African team is mainly home based. I know they've been in decline for a while but they had a very talented squad in late 90s. You'd also think hosting the WC almost a decade ago now would've inspired a new generation but obviously not.

An english guy actually coaches them, Stuart Baxter.
South African national teams have always been predominantly home based even when the likes of Benni Macarthy and Steven Pienaar played in Europe, and that's probably because the South African league pays quite well so there's not much incentive to move to Europ unless you're going to be playing at the highest levels.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Oh man, this is happening? :( Could do with Mane and Salah getting knocked out early. Don't want them knackered all season.

I know it means a lot to them, but it doesn't to me. :wenger:

el3mel

We have improved a little bit since the diabolical world cup and we changed the manager, not to the degree of winning it but we should be semi finalists at least. Being the host can help, it helped in 2006 and we weren't that good back then.

We weren't even that good the last tournament and reached the final.

DarkChild™

Kenya to win it Greek style (Am Kenyan can't help being silly). Having a laugh here, Morocco and Senegal look good, Ivory Coast and Egypt dark horses.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Oh man, this is happening? :( Could do with Mane and Salah getting knocked out early. Don't want them knackered all season.

Ain't gonna happen in that group.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Obviously Green White Green til’ the end.

Concerned about Nigeria’s depth in central midfield, although Ndidi, Mikel and Iwobi could work in a 3. Attack looks more exciting than the World Cup though with Chuckwueze and Onyekuru in the squad this time round. Particularly expecting big things from Onyekuru, would have loved him at the World Cup. What Ighalo is still doing in the squad is beyond me though, he should have had his passport revoked after that game against Argentina last summer.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
South African national teams have always been predominantly home based even when the likes of Benni Macarthy and Steven Pienaar played in Europe, and that's probably because the South African league pays quite well so there's not much incentive to move to Europ unless you're going to be playing at the highest levels.
Mid to late 90s team was pretty good level for Africa. Had Mark Fish, Radebe, Eric Tinkler and Phil Masinga who all played to good standards in europe.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

One reason Liverpool won't push Man. City as much as last season, their front three will be knackered (Firmino in copa) as they'll all be playing in these tournaments well into July.

Actually be interested what Klopp does for the opening few games upfront if he gives them all extended holiday.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
One reason Liverpool won't push Man. City as much as last season, their front three will be knackered (Firmino in copa) as they'll all be playing in these tournaments well into July.

Actually be interested what Klopp does for the opening few games upfront if he gives them all extended holiday.
Yeah agreed. Really need to sign the likes of Pepe and Fekir if we're going to be serious about the league.

el3mel

We're playing a friendly with Tanzania now. Salah on the bench though.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"

Here're the the groups :

Been away for a while from here but can't wait for this to start..

There's a guy from South Africa and his Zimbabwean friend hitchhiking from Cape Town to Cairo for this. And travelling on the continent isn't easy.

el3mel

Morocco lost to Zambia today 3-2. Lost their both friendlies before the tournament. Uganda defeated Ivory Coast few days ago too.

We're playing Guinea 20 minutes from now.

adexkola

Supports
Been away for a while from here but can't wait for this to start..

There's a guy from South Africa and his Zimbabwean friend hitchhiking from Cape Town to Cairo for this. And travelling on the continent isn't easy.
Hitch-hiking? Good luck getting through Sudan right now.

el3mel

The effect Salah had when got subbed on is incredible. Makes us a completely different team. :drool:

ashfritz

Supports
Liverpool
Seems like there's no thread on this so far. Anyone is planning to follow it ? Any African friends here with me
I'll be following here too, not sure if I will go to any of the games though, tickets are seriously overpriced. Got a fan ID just in case though. If we go far I might try. But generally speaking I dont like being stuck in the stadium 6 hours before KO in the Summer heat.

I recommend you start buttering up your wasta in case we do go far because getting tickets online will require lottery levels of luck.

I'm Alex based and was hoping to get a good group here with Morocco Algeria or Senegal, but group B is rubbish to be honest not worth the time. Was thinking of watching Naby Keita but he'll be out injured so no point. Plus side is the teams will be training literally in front of my house at the Olympic Club, so I get to see Iwobis tricks and flicks . Think Bill Shankly once said 'if Everton were playing in my back yard I'd draw the curtains'. Similar feelings for me regarding Group B in general.

el3mel

I'll be following here too, not sure if I will go to any of the games though, tickets are seriously overpriced. Got a fan ID just in case though. If we go far I might try. But generally speaking I dont like being stuck in the stadium 6 hours before KO in the Summer heat.

I recommend you start buttering up your wasta in case we do go far because getting tickets online will require lottery levels of luck.

I'm Alex based and was hoping to get a good group here with Morocco Algeria or Senegal, but group B is rubbish to be honest not worth the time. Was thinking of watching Naby Keita but he'll be out injured so no point. Plus side is the teams will be training literally in front of my house at the Olympic Club, so I get to see Iwobis tricks and flicks . Think Bill Shankly once said 'if Everton were playing in my back yard I'd draw the curtains'. Similar feelings for me regarding Group B in general.
I'm from Mansoura, shame as we don't have any groups here but our stadium is shite anyway so can see the point. :D Gonna be TV watching it is then,and anyway as you said the tickets are overpriced. Egypt games will still be full regardless but the other games the attendance may suffer from such thing.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I hope Senegal and Egypt make it to the final and play extra time in every Knockout match on the way there.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Hitch-hiking? Good luck getting through Sudan right now.
:lol:

To be fair, when they had that idea (probably some months ago) the turmoil in Sudan hadn't started , and SA -> Egypt along the eastern African countries was a reasonable route.
Now with the Sahara belt basically blocked, you're screwed if you want to travel on land. Guess they'll have to try and take a ship from Djibouti.

adexkola

Supports
:lol:

To be fair, when they had that idea (probably some months ago) the turmoil in Sudan hadn't started , and SA -> Egypt along the eastern African countries was a reasonable route.
Now with the Sahara belt basically blocked, you're screwed if you want to travel on land. Guess they'll have to try and take a ship from Djibouti.
All true.

Even without the latest turmoil in Sudan, a hitch-hike on this route is no mere feat from a logistical perspective. Shit, even just taking paid buses is daunting enough (I'll never drive across an African border again, once is enough).

One turned back.. Couldn't get a visa to get past Ethiopia.

One is continuing.. And yes. He plans on going through Sudan.. Here is his twitter

Following him now, and hopefully he makes it! Regarding his friend that was denied a visa, the proposed AU passport (which should provide Visa free travel across any country in Africa) can't come too soon. Shame they could not wave him through.

adexkola

Supports
I'm from Mansoura, shame as we don't have any groups here but our stadium is shite anyway so can see the point. :D Gonna be TV watching it is then,and anyway as you said the tickets are overpriced. Egypt games will still be full regardless but the other games the attendance may suffer from such thing.
How does one even get tickets?

I went on CAF's website just to see how the ticketing system works, as I'm interested in going to the next tournament in Cameroon.

No information. No online payment system. Just, nothing.

How would one even go about getting tickets, and how expensive are they? I imagine there will be high demand for games involving Egypt, but otherwise I'm not expecting huge demand.

K2K

All true.

Even without the latest turmoil in Sudan, a hitch-hike on this route is no mere feat from a logistical perspective. Shit, even just taking paid buses is daunting enough (I'll never drive across an African border again, once is enough).

Following him now, and hopefully he makes it! Regarding his friend that was denied a visa, the proposed AU passport (which should provide Visa free travel across any country in Africa) can't come too soon. Shame they could not wave him through.
Done it once.. Almost got arrested.

Planning on doing it again. Want to drive from Pretoria to Nairobi.

K2K

I went on CAF's website just to see how the ticketing system works, as I'm interested in going to the next tournament in Cameroon.

How would one even go about getting tickets, and how expensive are they? I imagine there will be high demand for games involving Egypt, but otherwise I'm not expecting huge demand.
Caf is an awfully run organisation.

Which is a shame considering the talent involved in the continent.

el3mel

https://www.tazkarti.com/#/home

Here.