AFCON Egypt 2019

RooneyLegend

Are Africa

I remember him playing in 2010 world cup, had a really good game v England. Don't think he was even their first choice but main one got injured in first game.

On a general note, are we likely to see some African teams make last 16 in Qatar?
Algeria and Morocco if they sort themselves out. Nigeria have a decent group of young players too.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
We are black Africans in South Africa so that first paragraph holds no water. Im just saying that's the case from what ive seen. I geniunely havent seen a Cameroonian player thats made me think wow, now that man is amazing technically since Roger Milla. I dont know, maybe those players dont make it to the international scene but i really havent seen them.

These tactics based on physicality are prevalent regardless of who your teams play against. Even at club level in the African champions league thats the case.
Eto'o?!

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Algeria and Morocco if they sort themselves out. Nigeria have a decent group of young players too.
Algeria needs to regenerate with some younger players, still feels they're relying on group that started in 2010 and served them very well in 2014 WC. Likes of Fegouhli, Slimani and Brahimi all going to be in their early 30s when Qatar starts. They actually need to make sure they actually qualify as last campaign was a disaster.

Yeah Morocco had good squad at last WC, could've got out of what was a very tough and tight group. Nigeria need to stay out of group with Argentina for once as all it takes is strong european team and hard for them to qualify.

I'd say Senegal still have best squad in Africa. Best defender (Koulibaly) and arguably best attacker (Mane) but something just dosen't click with them, whether it's mentality or their midfield being more workmanlike than creative.

Interesting is many of African teams for this tournament actually still had same managers who were in charge at World cup. Many times are changing and they're finally allowing managers time to build squads and create continuity. Nigeria were also bad for sacking managers every couple of months for example.

RooneyLegend

Algeria needs to regenerate with some younger players, still feels they're relying on group that started in 2010 and served them very well in 2014 WC. Likes of Fegouhli, Slimani and Brahimi all going to be in their early 30s when Qatar starts. They actually need to make sure they actually qualify as last campaign was a disaster.

Yeah Morocco had good squad at last WC, could've got out of what was a very tough and tight group. Nigeria need to stay out of group with Argentina for once as all it takes is strong european team and hard for them to qualify.

I'd say Senegal still have best squad in Africa. Best defender (Koulibaly) and arguably best attacker (Mane) but something just dosen't click with them, whether it's mentality or their midfield being more workmanlike than creative.

Interesting is many of African teams for this tournament actually still had same managers who were in charge at World cup. Many times are changing and they're finally allowing managers time to build squads and create continuity. Nigeria were also bad for sacking managers every couple of months for example.
Slimani and Brahimi took no serious part in the Afcon. Only Feghouli was a key player on those you mentioned. They still have the likes of Bentaleb and Ghoulam to come back. Only 4 players who started consistently through the tournament will be over 31 by the time the world cup comes.

Disagree on the Senegal point. Outside of Mane and Koulibaly the rest arent impressive at all.

Qualifying is a mess in Africa as we saw with the great Egyptian generation. Playing away from home has unique challenges. If they(Algeria) sort that out they could try something at the tournament. Ive got little faith in the West African sides(Outside of Nigeria) due to the technical deficiency that i mentioned and i think its a damn shame Egypt never made it to the world cup in their pomp.

el3mel

The African World Cup qualifiers for 2022 will be with the same system of 2014 qualifiers when we lost to Ghana 6-1, so we will never qualify for it that is I'm sure about! Unless dramatic changes happened.

dz united

West african footballers are super technical, just because they tend to be big and strong that doesn't mean they're not technical. Take Yaya for example he had everything, very good dribbler, great passer of the ball and can finish but when you hear some commentators you would think he is just a brute. The problem with African players is the lack of composure in front of goal.

jus2nang

Supports
Arsenal
The African World Cup qualifiers for 2022 will be with the same system of 2014 qualifiers when we lost to Ghana 6-1, so we will never qualify for it that is I'm sure about! Unless dramatic changes happened.
There'll be 9 qualifiers so you'll be fine. The format for African WCQs has always been rubbish. We should have really followed the Asian model.

Now we have 9 teams though, I'd like to see the teams whittled down to 4 groups of 6, with the top 2 qualifying and the 3rd going to a playoff tournament for the last place.

el3mel

There'll be 9 qualifiers so you'll be fine. The format for African WCQs has always been rubbish. We should have really followed the Asian model.

Now we have 9 teams though, I'd like to see the teams whittled down to 4 groups of 6, with the top 2 qualifying and the 3rd going to a playoff tournament for the last place.
The number of of teams will increase starting from 2026 as far as I'm concerned. 2022 will have the same number of teams participating as 2018.

jus2nang

Supports
Arsenal
Take Yaya for example he had everything, very good dribbler, great passer of the ball and can finish but when you hear some commentators you would think he is just a brute.
This. It happens a lot; if a player from WA has good physical qualities they get thrown straight into the same lazy stereotype box.

When Yaya first came to England, lazy pundits assumed he was a defensive midfielder to break up the play (they clearly hadn't watched him much before). It's only after a while they realised that he could actually control, dribble with and pass a football.

But there's a lengthy conversation to be had about how West African attacking players tend to be immediately converted to defensive midfielders when they reach Europe (Appiah, Mikel, Keita etc).

Even those that are actually more defensive like Michael Essien for example can still control and pass a football, but people would have you believe that he was all muscle and nothing else...

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Looks like we're signing Trezeguet.

Remember @el3mel saying he was pretty good during this tournament, 8m so one of our cheaper signings this summer. Has 1 in 3 scoring record in Turkish league.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Agree that the third qualifying round is too punitive and random. I think having 5 groups of 4 teams each would be good. Dampens the randomness of a single shock event, allows really good teams to get through to the WC finals.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
This. It happens a lot; if a player from WA has good physical qualities they get thrown straight into the same lazy stereotype box.

When Yaya first came to England, lazy pundits assumed he was a defensive midfielder to break up the play (they clearly hadn't watched him much before). It's only after a while they realised that he could actually control, dribble with and pass a football.

But there's a lengthy conversation to be had about how West African attacking players tend to be immediately converted to defensive midfielders when they reach Europe (Appiah, Mikel, Keita etc).

Even those that are actually more defensive like Michael Essien for example can still control and pass a football, but people would have you believe that he was all muscle and nothing else...
Spot on. Especially on Mikel. Remember watching the 2005 U 19 WC where Messi won golden ball and Mikel won silver ball. He was far removed from what he became at Chelsea. Luckily for Nigeria he was always able to revert to that role.

el3mel

Looks like we're signing Trezeguet.

Remember @el3mel saying he was pretty good during this tournament, 8m so one of our cheaper signings this summer. Has 1 in 3 scoring record in Turkish league.
Very good player. Electric, pacey and good dribbler. His finishing in front of the goal is very, very frustrating but it can improve. Salah was a terrible finisher at one point.

The Original

Spot on. Especially on Mikel. Remember watching the 2005 U 19 WC where Messi won golden ball and Mikel won silver ball. He was far removed from what he became at Chelsea. Luckily for Nigeria he was always able to revert to that role.
Mikel was never able to recapture that playing style he exhibited at the U20 Youth Championships in 2005. When he burst onto the scene, he was a stylish attacking midfielder who would dribble in and around the box, and had an excellent passing range. He's simply not been the same player for Nigeria. Instead he's been more of a metronome type controlling midfielder. In fact, for Nigeria he generally played almost the the exact same way he played for Chelsea, except that he played significantly higher up the pitch.