African Cup of Nations 2021 (played in 2022) | Final: Senegal v Egypt, 7 PM UK time

the_cliff

Anguissa is a good player. Type of midfielder we are crying out for.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Dude was stretched off and runs back onto the field 10 seconds later :lol:

CraftySoAndSo

How to completely implode at the opening game of an international tournament written by Burkina Faso.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I think it's Senegal. Edouard Mendy, Koulibaly, Diallo (PSG),Bouna Sarr (Bayern), Gueye, Kouyate, Mane, Ismaila Sarr.

There's a reason they're one of the favourites.
I'd prefer Ivory Coast's team, more balanced I'd say but Senegal higher stars. I'd favour Ivory Coast's offense and midfield, with Senegal a better keeper and central defense.

GD2

Patchbeard

Trying to generate my own excitement for this tournament as there isn't much in the UK media and I'll be able to have a lot of games on in the background whilst WFH...

Loved some of the AFCONs around the late 00s but haven't paid enough attention to the last few.

Today's games are (UK time):
13:00 - Senegal vs Zimbabwe
16:00 - Guinea vs Malawi

16:00 - Morocco vs Ghana
19:00 - Comoros vs Gabon

Put a treble on Senegal, Guinea + Gabon today based mostly on their FIFA ranks, plus a punt on Ghana to win vs Morocco as the odds seem surprisingly low on them even if they aren't in great form, as they still have some quality (and always had a soft spot for them since WC 2010, and Andre Ayew).

Also lumped on Algeria to win the thing at 9/2 to give me a nation to support overall. Interested to see their actual 1st choice lineup...looks like they have 2 forwards who are scoring freely at international level (even if one is Slimani) and then 5 quality attacking mids in Mahrez + Benhrama + Brahimi + Feghouli + Balaili. Can they get away with a 2-1-7 formation against the lesser nations...

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Can anyone recommend any players to look out for that could be a "break out star". As in not playing in the big leagues but could get a move after the tournament?
Aribo for Nigeria could shine. He's on fire this season for Rangers.

CraftySoAndSo

Aribo for Nigeria could shine. He's on fire this season for Rangers.
Yeah i remember him being really highly rated when he came through at Charlton and was linked with teams like Benfica at one point. Good to hear he's still doing well at though, as a Rangers fan are you not worried you'll lose him soon?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Yeah i remember him being really highly rated when he came through at Charlton and was linked with teams like Benfica at one point. Good to hear he's still doing well at though, as a Rangers fan are you not worried you'll lose him soon?
Aye, it's on the cards at some point over the next 6-18 months. He would be a big loss, but the only viable model of business for clubs like ours is to pluck potential stars, develop and expose them to European football, and then sell them on for 10m+ profit after a few years.

Patchbeard

Bit harsh on Zimbabwe, but saves my threefold for today from folding at the first opportunity :D

the_cliff

Trying to generate my own excitement for this tournament as there isn't much in the UK media and I'll be able to have a lot of games on in the background whilst WFH...

Loved some of the AFCONs around the late 00s but haven't paid enough attention to the last few.

Today's games are (UK time):
13:00 - Senegal vs Zimbabwe
16:00 - Guinea vs Malawi

16:00 - Morocco vs Ghana
19:00 - Comoros vs Gabon

Put a treble on Senegal, Guinea + Gabon today based mostly on their FIFA ranks, plus a punt on Ghana to win vs Morocco as the odds seem surprisingly low on them even if they aren't in great form, as they still have some quality (and always had a soft spot for them since WC 2010, and Andre Ayew).

Also lumped on Algeria to win the thing at 9/2 to give me a nation to support overall. Interested to see their actual 1st choice lineup...looks like they have 2 forwards who are scoring freely at international level (even if one is Slimani) and then 5 quality attacking mids in Mahrez + Benhrama + Brahimi + Feghouli + Balaili. Can they get away with a 2-1-7 formation against the lesser nations...
Starters are:
Bounedjah
Belaili Feghouli Mahrez

However the first 2 games we'll see some rotation as Mahrez just joined the squad (late) and Feghouli is injured. So I think he'll go 4-4-2 with Ounas in place of Mahrez and Slimani in place of Feghouli. He usually does that.

Brahimi will probably be a bit part player. Benrahma and Ounas should get more chances than Brahimi.

The first 'big' game is now, Morocco vs Ghana. Sulemena is a good talent to keep an eye on.

shazzmufc

Must say this has been the most dull game of the tournament so far

Funny story: I was born in Casablanca, Morocco and grew up in Accra, Ghana. Currently stuck in Morocco because they’ve closed the borders here, and I’m the only Ghana supporter surrounded by tons of angry/bored Moroccans :lol:

Of course now that I’ve posted this they’ll probably score