African Cup of Nations 2021 (played in 2022) | Final: Senegal v Egypt, 7 PM UK time

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Tunisia wants to replay the whole game.
That would be ridiculous - but then again, if a ref is THIS incomptent maybe they have a case? To be fair they'll probably think they'll save more face that way then only having 3 minutes to score a goal.

They should have come back out and played 8 minutes or something.

the_cliff

That would be ridiculous - but then again, if a ref is THIS incomptent maybe they have a case? To be fair they'll probably think they'll save more face that way then only having 3 minutes to score a goal.

They should have come back out and played 8 minutes or something.
Tbf you can't just change the referee, tell players to come out and finish the game.

This looks terrible for African football.

The fact that they made the 4th official finish the game as ref and not the actual ref just makes it look even worse.

3 Minutes as well ?

2 mins added time ?

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Beautiful. Have to love a good old fashioned massive farce :drool:

the_cliff

I feel bad for Mali in all of this, they deserved to win and actually agreed to come out and finish the game, fair play.

But CAF have a mess to sort out.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I feel bad for Mali in all of this, they deserved to win and actually agreed to come out and finish the game, fair play.

But CAF have a mess to sort out.
Sounds crazy doesn't it?

I've not been following the game, was the dubious red card against Tunisia?

No wonder they've decided the game was corrupt if that happened plus the messing around with added time.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Sounds crazy doesn't it?

No wonder they've decided the game was corrupt if that happened plus the messing around with added time.
No the red card was against Mali.

Tunisia also got a pen for a handball that was never a handball (so did Mail to be fair, but the Tunisia pen was the worse decision) so they also had the rub of the green. The ref was just incomptent all round.

V.O.

Sounds crazy doesn't it?

Nah, the red card was against Mali.

I can only think that Tunisia fancy their chances more of declaring the whole match bent and pursuing legal avenues than trying to score in the handful of minutes there would have been left to play.

the_cliff

Sounds crazy doesn't it?

No it was actually against Mali.

But you could see why Tunisia feel hard done by as well as there should have been at least 5 mins added time. Plus the ending of the game before the 90.

You can't end the game get the players cold and ask them to come back on the pitch and play 3 minutes.

Not often you see such a terrible performance by the referee that both teams feel hard done by.

OmarUnited4ever

To me it seemed the referee was too tired to continue and whistled at 85, then restarted the game and finished it just right before 90, between the stops he gave a red card and then checked it himself and then resumed play, it was surreal watching it.

Adam-Utd

@Annihilate Now! @V.O. @the_cliff

Sheesh. Sounds like an absolute clusterfeck of a performance!

Is this Referee a known/experienced ref? first time under the real spotlight?

I can't see them changing the result but the ref might not work again.

V.O.

Can't say I know much of him, but he's been given World Cup games before now, so he must be one of the higher profile African refs as well.

CloneMC16

If that ref gets another game, that would be a joke. I think this goes beyond incompetence. He made too many strange decisions. He didn't favour one side, but it was still absolutely awful.

RoyH1

The African Cup of Nations was finally getting some love and respect from European broadcasters, and the this happens.

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
The most shocking thing for me is he went against VAR. I've never seen any ref keep his decision after going to the monitor. For such a harsh red card, I can't believe he didn't change his decision. I only watched the last 20 minutes, but this ref had a complete mare.
Happens in the Netherlands quite a lot.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
What an absolute farce. Real Clown Town stuff

el3mel

The pictures show that the ref gave the added time at 79th minute. It seems the clown thought the 79th minute is 89th one and gave 5 minutes as injury time so whistled at 85th minute.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
This is probably a dumb question but I’ve never worked out how added time is calculated? Doesn’t the ref just stop his watch whenever there’s a stoppage in play? So - as far as he’s concerned - he blows up at exactly 90 minutes on his watch. Which means the added time on the board is an approximation only, right?

the_cliff

This is probably a dumb question but I’ve never worked out how added time is calculated? Doesn’t the ref just stop his watch whenever there’s a stoppage in play? So - as far as he’s concerned - he blows up at exactly 90 minutes on his watch. Which means the added time on the board is an approximation only, right?
I think it's a general estimation. As to not add on too much.

If that was the case I don't think any game would finish before the 97th minute.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
It seems like they just add on 5 minutes if the game is close and either team look like they can score at any moment.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
The board is a minimum isn’t it? So the game has to get to 94 if 4 is held up? I just assumed the ref goes by the board. Don’t think they stop their watch?

Annihilate Now!

Scout
As far as i'm aware the ref never stops his watch (so he knows exactly when the 45 minutes is up) - and just makes a mental note of how long the extra stoppages are (injuries/subs/time wasting/VAR) and then adds it on at the end. There's no exact science to it.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The African Cup of Nations was finally getting some love and respect from European broadcasters, and the this happens.
If anyone uses this as a reason why they shouldn't watch the tournament then good riddance

Still a very annoying SNAFU, and as others mentioned, maybe the art of referee timekeeping should be made an actual science with rules and shit, so this specific ref can't freestyle based on his fitness?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
As far as i'm aware the ref never stops his watch (so he knows exactly when the 45 minutes is up) - and just makes a mental note of how long the extra stoppages are (injuries/subs/time wasting/VAR) and then adds it on at the end. There's no exact science to it.
Making a mental note seems like a recipe for disaster. Surely stopping his watch much more accurate? It’s always been the way at grass roots level, so seems weird they’d rely on off the cuff mental maths at elite level.

Plus they point at their watch when players are moaning about time-wasting by the opposition (say when a subbed player is walking off slowly). Isn’t that to indicate “Look! My watch is stopped! Quit yer whining!”

Adam-Utd

Would like to see it happen in England. If it ever has, I've missed it. The ref going to the monitor is completely pointless in England.
it's happened once apparently.

It seems as though they've all agreed to just go with whatever VAR suggest now though.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions

This is what makes the whole thing stranger, he is (was?) one of the top African refs, having coached at world cup level (including under 17s WC, under 20s WC and two matches at the main WC in 2018), plus many AFCON games, notably the final in 2017. In fact he has been ref'ing AFCON matches since at least 2012 so this was very odd from him. I wonder what happened there. Very strange indeed.

However, it's not a representation of African football or African refereeing in anyway whatsoever, just one really very poor performance by an otherwise normally decent ref. Hope no one makes any extrapolations or generalisations using this random occurence.

Adam-Utd

Back when I used to play, referees used 2 watches. One for 90 minutes and the to add on the extra time between stoppages. They'd then just add that amount on at the end.

It surely can't be much harder than that?

This is what makes the whole thing stranger, he is (was?) one of the top African refs, having coached at world cup level (including under 17s WC, under 20s WC and two matches at the main WC in 2018), plus many AFCON games, notably the final in 2017. In fact he has been ref'ing AFCON matches since at least 2012 so this was very odd from him. I wonder what happened there. Very strange indeed.

However, it's not a representation of African football or African refereeing in anyway whatsoever, just one really very poor performance by an otherwise normally decent ref. Hope no one makes any extrapolations or generalisations using this random occurence.
Very odd. Unless he's just had a very strange day - you'd hate to think of outside interferences making him doubt/change his decisions etc.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
If he did that, we'd have around 40 minutes of added time every game. They just eyeball it and have some generic rules of thumbs for subs, I guess.

massi83

The board is a minimum isn’t it? So the game has to get to 94 if 4 is held up? I just assumed the ref goes by the board. Don’t think they stop their watch?
The ref decides the board, not other way round.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
If they did that there would be 30-40 minutes of added time every game. And then another 30 minutes to cover for all stoppages in play during the added time.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Making a mental note seems like a recipe for disaster. Surely stopping his watch much more accurate? It’s always been the way at grass roots level, so seems weird they’d rely on off the cuff mental maths at elite level.

Plus they point at their watch when players are moaning about time-wasting by the opposition (say when a subbed player is walking off slowly). Isn’t that to indicate “Look! My watch is stopped! Quit yer whining!”
Well they're always in communication with the 4th official so I think they come up with a rough approximation together (i.e lots of subs, plus injuries, lets add 5 mins) - because lets be honest, it's never really that accurate.

I think the pointing at the watch is just a universal symbol for "I'm keeping track of time"

Back when I used to play, referees used 2 watches. One for 90 minutes and the to add on the extra time between stoppages. They'd then just add that amount on at the end.

It surely can't be much harder than that?
Ref's have two watches, but I believe one is a back-up so that they don't lose track of how long is being played? Could be wrong on that though

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
If they did that there would be 30-40 minutes of added time every game. And then another 30 minutes to cover for all stoppages in play during the added time.

I don’t mean every time the game stops. Just the big ones. Substitutions. When a goal’s been scored. Plus whatever else people talk about when they’re predicting what will go up on added time board.

Feck it. I’m starting a thread…

the_cliff

I don’t mean every time the game stops. Just the big ones. Substitutions. When a goal’s been scored. Plus whatever else people talk about when they’re predicting what will go up on added time board.

Feck it. I’m starting a thread…
Just from goal celebrations, substitutions, Injuries and VAR, you wouldn't get added time under 7 - 10 minutes if it was done that way.