African Cup of Nations 2021 (played in 2022) | Final: Senegal v Egypt, 7 PM UK time

The Original

Everyday there is something new that they should be embarrassed about. Yesterday was a massive fight on the pitch the day before the referee blew the whistle at 85 minutes. You have to admit they damage their own reputation, if I were a manager I’d be like you have interrupted my season for this? Really?
Oh right, because 'massive fights' dont happen in European competitions?

Besides, there was no such massive fight, why do you feel the need to exaggerate to the point of farce?

And what incident has prompted this comment today?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
As if a fight means anything. The only embarrassing thing has been the ref unable to tell time

MalaysianRed7

Everyday there is something new that they should be embarrassed about. Yesterday was a massive fight on the pitch the day before the referee blew the whistle at 85 minutes. You have to admit they damage their own reputation, if I were a manager I’d be like you have interrupted my season for this? Really?
Sevilla vs Granada was ended early this season too. La Liga is still the 2nd best league in the world. And fights on the pitch? Those are commonplace.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Such an unorthodox striker, he was incredibly gifted. One of the most entertaining players in the game for me. The haircuts, his number 3, the dancing, incredible player.
Baby Jet!
I wore a black and gold blazer with a kente bow tie to a black tie event. There's me seated with a Supermalt in my hand. The atmosphere is fairly mellow. I gracefully allow others to take the spotlight, as my style is most suited to a fast tempo. Then the moment I hear this song with Baby Jet aka Asamoah Gyan I head to the dance floor and pull out my signature azonto. Dance floor cleared.

Shunty

Supports
Man it’s
Oh right, because 'massive fights' dont happen in European competitions?

Besides, there was no such massive fight, why do you feel the need to exaggerate to the point of farce?

And what incident has prompted this comment today?
No I don’t think fight happen to the degree of players actually throwing punches all that often in top level football no I don’t. Also the ref blew the whistle incorrectly twice not once. Once on the 85th and in the 89th minute. No added time played at all.
I’m sure salahs’ afcon medal will be higher than his champions league medal or his premier league medal in his house when he looks back haha.

The standard of the whole tournament is awful, if you want to waste your time watching it then fair play must have hours to burn. my opinion won’t change in spite of the band wagon that’s pulled up outside for all you snowflakes

the_cliff

No I don’t think fight happen to the degree of players actually throwing punches all that often in top level football no I don’t. Also the ref blew the whistle incorrectly twice not once. Once on the 85th and in the 89th minute. No added time played at all.
I’m sure salahs’ afcon medal will be higher than his champions league medal or his premier league medal in his house when he looks back haha.

The standard of the whole tournament is awful, if you want to waste your time watching it then fair play must have hours to burn. my opinion won’t change in spite of the band wagon that’s pulled up outside for all you snowflakes
Well just yesterday Sevilla - Real Betis got suspended after a player was hit by a spear from the crowd:

If this happened in the AFCON you wouldn't hear the end of it. Maybe you need to take your selective hearing and selective seeing out of this thread and go into another one. If you don't want to watch it, don't. But we don't wanna hear your constant bitching in this thread.

Pintu

If he ever gets one I'm sure it will be up there. Eto'o (with his 3 CL:s) has a far more furnished medal collection than Salah. And he's said winning the first AFCON was his best footballing moment.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.p...-footballing-moment-was-in-nigeria-says-etoo/

How many more posters like you are going to pop here just to give us more of this "Africa su**s" nonsense?

The Original

This is such a laughable nonsense.

One player snuck a punch and that was it. There was no such trading of punches. Why are you lying?

Those things happen frequently in European games. I mean it wasnt that long ago Fabregas was throwing food at Ferguson.

What can be more shameful than that?

And the ref who made those bad calls was ill as it has been confirmed. But i doubt that incident quite compares to the English ref who gave three yellow cards to the same player in a eorld cup all those years ago.

Look, I'm not intersted in changing your mind anymore than i would bother teaching a monkey to speak English.

The point is, your opinion is not relevant so why do you feel the need to prove that the Afcon is awful?

What's your objective here?

Rudi G

The fact you can find something that happened elsewhere as well does not actually support your arguments like you seem to think it does.
Why go all out and try to steamroll any perceived opposition as agressive as possible.
At this point nobody can say anything negative and that is nonsense.
People can have opinions.
Also those 85/89 minutes whistles are objectively proof of bought and payed for officials.
My opinion.
So what.

Last edited:

Shunty

Supports
Man it’s
This is such a laughable nonsense.

One player snuck a punch and that was it. There was no such trading of punches. Why are you lying?

Those things happen frequently in European games. I mean it wasnt that long ago Fabregas was throwing food at Ferguson.

What can be more shameful than that?

And the ref who made those bad calls was ill as it has been confirmed. But i doubt that incident quite compares to the English ref who gave three yellow cards to the same player in a eorld cup all those years ago.

Look, I'm not intersted in changing your mind anymore than i would bother teaching a monkey to speak English.

The point is, your opinion is not relevant so why do you feel the need to prove that the Afcon is awful?

i have no objective at all other than to say that already in football the afcon is considered a low standard international tournament, the event is being done whilst fixtures are being cancelled for squads infections of covid and also a lot of managers including Jurgen Klopp who called it a little tournament in Africa see the even as a massive disruption.

when you have the strain of covid, managers who don’t respect the even itself the least thing they want to portray is that the event is in anyway amateurish. What I’m saying is that the past few mornings sky have been showing highlights of refs balls ups and fights on the pitch. Yes there was one punch thrown I just don’t think it seems at all very professional and I don’t think that peoples views are getting better based on these incidents.

But it’s just an opinion obviously. Wow

Zelex

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You have made some points to your reasoning behind your views. However, I must say it is an uniformed and ignorant perspective. I am talking from a logical and neutral point of view not 'feelings'.

Reactions: Mr Pigeon

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Fights happen all of the time in football. Referees make mistakes all of the time football. It's really not difficult to understand.

Considering that Salah is very proud of his heritage I imagine he would think highly of a AFCON medal in exactly the same way European players think about their European Championship medals. Whether he thinks of it as a higher award than the Champions League is determined by his own personal preference, not because he'll deem it inferior because Shunty has decreed it.

You say your opinion won't change? Fortunately for the world at large your opinion on the subject means bugger all since you're just some random person moaning nonsensically on a football forum.

The only inconvenience with the AFCON is when it's played, but we can't magically make an entire continent change seasons and weather to accommodate us northern hemisphere folk, no matter how much we think we can. I mean, obviously some of us think we should be allowed to dictate what competitions African players can participate in so it's not unfathomable to assume that you'll also try and shift the Earth with the power of the immense brain power you're displaying with your posts.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Stop humoring them and just report those posts so we can get them thread-banned

Move on

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Stop humoring them and just report those posts so we can get them thread-banned

Move on
Yes, Boss. Three bags full, boss.

In all seriousness though, debate is preferred to just reporting people who aren't technically breaking the rules of the forum, unless you can prove he's intentionally wumming and isn't just misinformed?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yes, Boss. Three bags full, boss.

In all seriousness though, debate is preferred to just reporting people who aren't technically breaking the rules of the forum, unless you can prove he's intentionally wumming and isn't just misinformed?
We get 2 or 3 new posters going on that every day. This is a thread where we're discussing a tournament in progress and most of the posts in it are people attacking/defending the legitimacy of the competition

At some point it gets tiring, no? Just get those people out of here and start a new thread if people genuinely want to have that discussion

That's my take

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

It might be. Drogba would probably trade his UCL medal for an AFCON medal. Cristiano holds his Euro's medal over his UCL medals, Messi the same with the Copa America, why would it be different for African players? The pride of playing for your country trumps club medals for a lot of players, even if its not seen that important to people outside those continents.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
We get 2 or 3 new posters going on that every day. This is a thread where we're discussing a tournament in progress and most of the posts in it are people attacking/defending the legitimacy of the competition

At some point it gets tiring, no? Just get those people out of here and start a new thread if people genuinely want to have that discussion

That's my take
Yeah, that's fair enough.

Anyway, Senegal haven't been nearly as good as I thought they would be.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
And the ref who made those bad calls was ill as it has been confirmed.
I think the idea that someone would go about match fixing by trying to end the game too early, not once but twice, and thus drawing global attention to his officiating was incredibly stupid to begin with.

CraftySoAndSo

I think the idea that someone would go about match fixing by trying to end the game too early, not once but twice, and thus drawing global attention to his officiating was incredibly stupid to begin with.
I stupidly hadn't of thought of that when i originally thought it was match fixing. Which leads me to believing more about him falling ill during the match as the CAF said but then again they could be trying to cover themselves which is possible but i think unlikely.

the_cliff

Yeah, that's fair enough.

Anyway, Senegal haven't been nearly as good as I thought they would be.
To be fair to them they have played both their fixtures so far at 2pm local time at 36 degrees and 80% humidity. The early fixtures in this afcon have so far all been really low scoring and action less.

Zelex

Senegal never looked that good in the last AFCON. It was their individual quality that was enough to get them deep in the competition. I wouldn't say they are overrated but they tend to be overhyped.

I don't think there are any outright favourites in this tournament (due to factors brought by Covid). Nigeria is easily the best looking team so far though.

The Original

The mere fact that he gave Tunisia an undeserved penalty and then sent off a Malian would have been enough to dispel the idea but you know, people latch on to whatever they can to support their prejudices.

The Original

Senegal never looked that good in the last AFCON. It was their individual quality that was enough to get them deep in the competition. I wouldn't say they are overrated but they tend to be overhyped.

I don't think there are any outright favourites in this tournament (due to factors brought by Covid). Nigeria is easily the best looking team so far though.
I have predicted that Nigeria will enter an age of dominance - provided the organizational side of things is done right.

There have always been bucket loads of talent in Nigeria but now, the country is reaping the rewards of mass migration to Europe. Now there is a huge pool of highly gifted players receiving the highest quality of football education from a young age.

There will be many more of the quality of Saka, Eze, Olise, Lookman, Shoretire etc, who will choose to represent Nigeria in the next few years.

the_cliff

I have predicted that Nigeria will enter an age of dominance - provided the organizational side of things is done right.

There have always been bucket loads of talent in Nigeria but now, the country is reaping the rewards of mass migration to Europe. Now we have a huge pool of highly gifted players receiving the highest quality of football education from a young age.

There will be many more of the quality of Eze, Olise, Lookman, etc, who will choose to represent Nigeria in the next few years.
I agree, however, I would add Algeria, Morocco, Senegal and Ivory Coast to that.

Mass migration in general has been going for a long time, however, more and more African players are starting to pick their countries of origin. I would say the level of African football in general will go up, however I don't think Nigeria will be the only nation to benefit from it.

The Original

I agree, however, I would add Algeria, Morocco, Senegal and Ivory Coast to that.

Mass migration in general has been going for a long time, however, more and more African players are starting to pick their countries of origin. I would say the level of African football in general will go up, however I don't think Nigeria will be the only nation to benefit from it.
That does make sense, and I agree the entire continent likely might benefit - except for the southern nations who do not migrate as much.

Pintu

Surprised Pepe wasn't taking it, has a great record pre-Arsenal.
Kessié takes them for both country and club. Ahead of Zlatan. He scored one recently against Malawi. And Gradel used to take them for CIV before Kessié took over.

Patchbeard

Kessié takes them for both country and club. Ahead of Zlatan. He scored one recently against Malawi. And Gradel used to take them for CIV before Kessié took over.
Fair enough, but he has missed 4 out of 34 and Pepe has only missed 1 out of 16! Pepe is surprisingly consistent at penalties considering how inconsistent he is in open play.

the_cliff

Fair enough, but he has missed 4 out of 34 and Pepe has only missed 1 out of 16! Pepe is surprisingly consistent at penalties considering how inconsistent he is in open play.
I think the problem with Pepe is that it's hard to make him your primary penalty taker when he's not in your first 11.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
The real question is why would people come into a thread where people are enjoying an ongoing competition just to call it second tier or even come in here to say, "See? There you go, more evidence that it is a isht tournament." What is the actual point of that discussion in this thread?

You're ruining the thread for the rest of us trying to enjoy the tournament.
Bingo!

E-mal

You should take your opinion out of this thread.
Fights happen everyday, not too long ago Chelesa -Tottenham game ended in frackas.

What standard are you really on about? As far as am concerned it has been alright and would get better as the better teams begin to play each other.
If you dont enjoy watching it, nobody is forcing you to do so.
It's a legitimate competition that means alot to Africans.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Ivory Coast look really good in possession, quick passes & smart runs off the ball, all the goals scored have been great too.

So depressing watching pretty much everyone else play better football than us :lol:

E-mal

The fact you can find something that happened elsewhere as well does not actually support your arguments like you seem to think it does.
Why go all out and try to steamroll any perceived opposition as agressive as possible.
At this point nobody can say anything negative and that is nonsense.
People can have opinions.
Also those 85/89 minutes whistles are objectively proof of bought and payed for officials.
My opinion.
So what.
Your opinion that he is bought is doesnt make sense. That same Ref gave Mali a red card for an innocuous tackle and awarded a penalty against them.
He had a heat stroke which can affect one's judgement.

Last edited: