African Cup of Nations 2021 (played in 2022) | Final: Senegal v Egypt, 7 PM UK time

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Fair enough, but he has missed 4 out of 34 and Pepe has only missed 1 out of 16! Pepe is surprisingly consistent at penalties considering how inconsistent he is in open play.
Pepe is a very good finisher from open play. He's unfortunately been caught in a competition for places with Saka, in a season where we don't have European football to offer him game time, but he's a solid finisher.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Ah can always on afcon keepers for a bit of comedy!

Hope the keeper makes a recovery

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Keeper faked an injury as he's too embarrassed to accept it was an error. He watched them score and then pretending he was injured :lol:

Gfooty

Match fixing at its finest. Someone made a lot of money on that haha

Anyone link the video? I cant

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

It's very hard not to wonder if that's a good old fashioned Bruce Grobbelaar brown envelope for the keeper. Jesus wept.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Ivory Coast look really good in possession, quick passes & smart runs off the ball, all the goals scored have been great too.

So depressing watching pretty much everyone else play better football than us :lol:
They're my favourites. Don't think anyone else has their combination of talent and quality plus experience in every area. Them and Algeria

Nah Afcon is known for goalkeeping errors for literally decades
The one negative stereotype about African football that is unfortunately true :lol:

Hopefully Onana will be good :nervous:

Gfooty

Writing this off as a goalie error is just dumb. This has matchfixing all over it. Why the hell would you knock the ball back inside the penalty box instead of just leaving it and take the corner.

I hope Ivory Coast gets knocked out because of it and the country ostracizes him

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Writing this off as a goalie error is just dumb. This has matchfixing all over it. Why the hell would you knock the ball back inside the penalty box instead of just leaving it and take the corner.

I hope Ivory Coast gets knocked out because of it and the country ostracizes him
Of course it's a mistake. Honestly there have been equally as crazy goalkeeping in these tournaments over the years.
You hope the country ostracize him ?? Do you even hear yourself ffs :lol: ? It's football, not a life/death matter

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Im not too sure. You can see his intention was to catch the ball and slide with his momentum but the pitch had no give to it and he fumbled it. Look how much the pitch rips up when he attempts to slide.

Zelex

I have predicted that Nigeria will enter an age of dominance - provided the organizational side of things is done right.

There have always been bucket loads of talent in Nigeria but now, the country is reaping the rewards of mass migration to Europe. Now there is a huge pool of highly gifted players receiving the highest quality of football education from a young age.

There will be many more of the quality of Saka, Eze, Olise, Lookman, Shoretire etc, who will choose to represent Nigeria in the next few years.
Agreed. Nigeria definitely have an interesting pool of talent. As you've noted, the organisational side of things is the crucial factor.

BTW, I read somewhere that Lookman is in the process of switching to Nigeria.

Gfooty

I might be overreacting a little I lost a 3000€ bet over this :')

But still think its fixed. Would certainly not be the first CAF incident

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
The look on his face when he's staring at the ball in sheer desolation as the striker comes in :lol:

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Another 45 minutes of this would be an inherently risky strategy for Algeria. Would be a pity if they failed to make the knockout round, and Ivory Coast will be eager to put the nail on the coffin. Still, I'm convinced they will qualify

Belmadi has had a galvanising influence on Algeria. In 2016 alone, ALleria had four different managers, a real tumultuous period, and almost a 30 year time span since Algeria won the most prestigious international trophy for Africans. Now, Belmadi since taking over from 2018 had transformed the fortunes of the club, its nearly 2 years since they lost a game. He had the balls to drop the likes of Brahimi for an alternative in Belaïli who has limited exposure on the European stage. They recently beat Columbia albeit a friendly with relative ease.

Mahrez have some talented players ... Atal is a mauruding full back with excellent dribbling ability which aids him tremendously in his offensive endeavours. They also have Bensabaini on the opposite side, his highlight of the season at club level being his 2 goals in the win against Bayern Munich. Bennacer had a fantastic tournament, and his performances at club level are
making him linked to other elite clubs. There's something aesthetic about the way he dismantles the shape of opposition with his exuberance. Furthermore, not sure why Hicham Boudaoui wasn't selected for the Algeria squad, was hoping he would be on his upwards trajectory having won the award for Young Player of the Year award for Nice respectively.

Paradou academy is bearing fruit, and paramount in the process of players making the transition to European shores, Atal, Boudaoui, and Bensabini played for them as well as El Melali, Loucif who received exposure to play for French side Angers. The latter still being young enough to return to Europe if he wishes. Naidji could be the next to make that transition. The impressive thing is that the academy was only established in 2008, and the senior side is almost like an Algerian version of A.Bilbao as the senior team is predominantly those from the academy. I say almost loosely here, as it isn't a rule so to speak.

the_cliff

Another 45 minutes of this would be an inherently risky strategy for Algeria. Would be a pity if they failed to make the knockout round, and Ivory Coast will be eager to put the nail on the coffin. Still, I'm convinced they will qualify

Belmadi has had a galvanising influence on Algeria. In 2016 alone, ALleria had four different managers, a real tumultuous period, and almost a 30 year time span since Algeria won the most prestigious international trophy for Africans. Now, Belmadi since taking over from 2018 had transformed the fortunes of the club, its nearly 2 years since they lost a game. He had the balls to drop the likes of Brahimi for an alternative in Belaïli who has limited exposure on the European stage. They recently beat Columbia albeit a friendly with relative ease.

Mahrez have some talented players ... Atal is a mauruding full back with excellent dribbling ability which aids him tremendously in his offensive endeavours. They also have Bensabaini on the opposite side, his highlight of the season at club level being his 2 goals in the win against Bayern Munich. Bennacer had a fantastic tournament, and his performances at club level are
making him linked to other elite clubs. There's something aesthetic about the way he dismantles the shape of opposition with his exuberance. Furthermore, not sure why Hicham Boudaoui wasn't selected for the Algeria squad, was hoping he would be on his upwards trajectory having won the award for Young Player of the Year award for Nice respectively.

Paradou academy is bearing fruit, and paramount in the process of players making the transition to European shores, Atal, Boudaoui, and Bensabini played for them as well as El Melali, Loucif who received exposure to play for French side Angers. The latter still being young enough to return to Europe if he wishes. Naidji could be the next to make that transition. The impressive thing is that the academy was only established in 2008, and the senior side is almost like an Algerian version of A.Bilbao as the senior team is predominantly those from the academy. I say almost loosely here, as it isn't a rule so to speak.
I'd have to disagree. I don't think we can play our football on that pitch.

Add to the fact that we've been terrible in front of goal I think we're out. Would be very surprised if we do qualify now.

Shunty

Supports
Man it’s
There have been multiple moments which make you think of match fixing in this tournament
i wouldn’t have an opinion in this forum pal. Not a lot of people like it. Another day another headline in the afcon.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Seems pretty obvious it's an unfortunate mistake to me (i can't even call that a mistake). When you look at his knee, it probably hurt real bad.

Most fields look unfit for amateur football in this ACN.

The Original

Seems pretty obvious it's an unfortunate mistake to me (i can't even call that a mistake). When you look at his knee, it probably hurt real bad.

Most fields look unfit for amateur football in this ACN.
Pitches are definitely an area for improvement...that was not only unfortunate but unsafe for the keeper

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Pitches are definitely an area for improvement...that was not only unfortunate but unsafe for the keeper
It really was. At first I laughed at the keeper but realized after the 1st replay that it wasn't funny, at all I don't know if we have news about him but he could be badly injured.

Cheers to the Gambia, my mother was born in Bathurst (I think it's called Banjul now).

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
Ivory Coast look really good in possession, quick passes & smart runs off the ball, all the goals scored have been great too.

So depressing watching pretty much everyone else play better football than us :lol:
As a Ghanaian and United fan fair to say I haven't enjoyed football for sometime now. Can't even get any joy in NFL anymore because the Pats are also shit :(

The Original

It really was. At first I laughed at the keeper but realized after the 1st replay that it wasn't funny, at all I don't know if we have news about him but he could be badly injured.

Cheers to the Gambia, my mother was born in Bathurst (I think it's called Banjul now).
Fascinating to hear about your mother... And yes it is banjul now...cheers!

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Fascinating to hear about your mother... And yes it is banjul now...cheers!
Long story short, my grand father built roads in Senegal/The Gambia in the 60's/70's, he was in The Gambia at the end of my grandmother's pregnancy so she was born there. They went back to Dakar after that (then France) so unfortunately, i never visited the Gambia.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
How come Algeria lost to Equatorial Guinea, Guinea have like zero player in top leagues, most of them are playing in the spanish second division...wtf.

Pintu

How come Algeria lost to Equatorial Guinea, Guinea have like zero player in top leagues, most of them are playing in the spanish second division...wtf.
How come Egypt won it 3 times in a row with squads almost entirely playing in Egypt.
And then came Zambia and won the next edition with a team almost entirely based in South Africa and Congo( mostly TP Mazembe) ?

The Original

Long story short, my grand father built roads in Senegal/The Gambia in the 60's/70's, he was in The Gambia at the end of my grandmother's pregnancy so she was born there. They went back to Dakar after that (then France) so unfortunately, i never visited the Gambia.
Thats amazing...Gambia is a hotspot for tourism so you should visit when you can!

villain

Hates Beyoncé
They're my favourites. Don't think anyone else has their combination of talent and quality plus experience in every area. Them and Algeria

The one negative stereotype about African football that is unfortunately true :lol:

Hopefully Onana will be good :nervous:
I think Nigeria are good value, I back them to go all the way, but I was really impressed by Ivory Coast, their midfield and attack are very good when they click.
And yeah its funny reading comments about match fixing because of goalkeeper errors - if its one thing AFCON is consistent for, it's comedy goalkeeping :lol:

As a Ghanaian and United fan fair to say I haven't enjoyed football for sometime now. Can't even get any joy in NFL anymore because the Pats are also shit :(
In the exact same boat, our Black Stars are terrible but United are worse :(

minoo-utd

How come Egypt won it 3 times in a row with squads almost entirely playing in Egypt.
And then came Zambia and won the next edition with a team almost entirely based in South Africa and Congo( mostly TP Mazembe) ?
9 of this team starters were playing at AL-AHLY the African club of the century and had one of the best teams in Africa as usual, it doesn't have to play in Europe to be better player IMO, Specially if you play for biggest club in Africa.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Im not too sure. You can see his intention was to catch the ball and slide with his momentum but the pitch had no give to it and he fumbled it. Look how much the pitch rips up when he attempts to slide.
Yes. It's fully the fault of the pitch. On 99 pitches out of 100, the surface is slick enough to allow the keeper to slide into that. That's how every goalkeeper collects the ball - in one sliding movement to protect the ball and get there quicker. He'll be lucky to avoid injury there as the jolting on the knee from getting planted into the ground could cause all sorts of ligament problems.