African Cup of Nations 2021 (played in 2022) | Final: Senegal v Egypt, 7 PM UK time

CloneMC16

Those players scored 8 or 9 penalties before with 100% success rate.I can't blame Queiroz.
I understand that. It's not just an Egypt thing. Plenty of teams do it. Even Senegal did it here. It doesn't make much sense to me.

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
So happy for Senegal, they deserve to be among CAN winners for all they did and are doing for African Football

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Possibly one of my favourite trophies

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
Fantastic final. Two solid teams.

Senegal the better team I thought. Great shootout, great win for Senegal for their first time. And it's very fitting for Mane to be the one leading his team to glory for the first time and scoring the winning penalty!

It's moments like this that makes it clear why (unfortunately) Liverpool won both the PL & CL in recent years. They have both Mane & Salah who both spearheaded their respective teams to the AFCON Final.

Last edited:

The Original

When you see grown men on both sides drenched in tears it puts it into perspective just how much the African Cup means to us all.

At the end of the end its not as much about pristine pitches, beautiful football, and 'perfect referreeing' as it is simply about the passion and privilege of representing your country and putting it all on the line for nothing more than the hopes and pride of your people.

This is football not necessarily at its finest, but at its purest.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
We should try to unearth some of these African gems, some real talents in this continent.

Andre Kagawa

When you see grown men on both sides drenched in tears it puts it into perspective just how much the African Cup means to us all.

At the end of the end its not as much about pristine pitches, beautiful football, and 'perfect referreeing' as it is simply about the passion and privilege of representing your country and putting it all on the line for nothing more than the hopes and pride of your people.

Beautifully put!

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

Hear/here here/hear!!!

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
And Mendy does not deserve best keeper of the tournament, has had a few ropy moments. I guess you can't give it to the keeper of a side who didn't make the final but a few keepers who on average had a better tournament I think. Gabaski for one!

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
From a tournament perspective Senegal deserved the trophy. From a selfish perspective I'm so glad Salah will be back at Liverpool before Mane (apparently the winner was going to stay longer for victory parade in their country, etc).

Mane has not been uprooting any trees for us and we have Jota/Diaz covering his position. Salah we need back, asap.

Rockets Redglare

Great post. It really shows the ridiculousness of fans and coaches claiming African players shouldn’t be playing in it as it clashes with league games.

I’m sure Mane will hold that win in a higher regard to anything he’s won with Liverpool.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
They're making the Egyptian players pose for a team photo. Jesus

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern

The games I saw were pretty good in terms of quality, as well. Senegal - Burkina Faso for example was awesome.

CloneMC16

Completely agree. These matches are very important. Great post.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Great post - you can just immediately sense how much it means to them and how much pride they take from it yeah. Almost all of my own country’s NT players could learn a thing or two from that.

Oranges038

You guys are (annoyingly) back in terms of tenacity and tournament nous. Great tournament.

Who said it was his decision?
Not me. But, he should want to step up first, if he did, he probably wouldn't be waiting to go last.

the_cliff

Senegal deserved winners.

Got to feel for Egypt though. 4 extra times in a row, showed heart and fight.
Gabasky was player of the tournament for me. Terrible decision to give keeper of the tournament to Mendy over him.

Confused as to why Queiroz took off El Solaya, I thought he was the only Egypt player that was holding the ball and playing good forward passes.

Overall though was a good final, happy for Senegal, they defo deserve an AFCON and Aliou Cisse deserves all the credit he will be getting. Brilliant manager and a good look for African coaches. Hopefully more national teams use this as a reason to stop hiring 4th tier European coaches. (6 of the last 9 AFCONs have been won by African Coaches).

Glad Senegal won that, they were the better team and at times looked like the only team trying to win.

That referee though, somebody needs to take his fecking whistle off him.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Top post mate.