African Cup of Nations 2021 (played in 2022) | Final: Senegal v Egypt, 7 PM UK time

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
When you see grown men on both sides drenched in tears it puts it into perspective just how much the African Cup means to us all.

At the end of the end its not as much about pristine pitches, beautiful football, and 'perfect referreeing' as it is simply about the passion and privilege of representing your country and putting it all on the line for nothing more than the hopes and pride of your people.

This is football not necessarily at its finest, but at its purest.
Beautifully put, great post. People need to understand this.

the_cliff

When you see grown men on both sides drenched in tears it puts it into perspective just how much the African Cup means to us all.

At the end of the end its not as much about pristine pitches, beautiful football, and 'perfect referreeing' as it is simply about the passion and privilege of representing your country and putting it all on the line for nothing more than the hopes and pride of your people.

When you hear Mane and Salah say they'd switch a UCL winners medal for an AFCON one, you should already know how much it means to them. They aren't the only ones, Yaya, Eto, Mahrez etc. have said it's their greatest and proudest achievement.

One of my friends who's a Liverpool fan says he's never seen Salah so animated or emotional in a Liverpool shirt compared to when he's in the AFCON for Egypt.

If people don't like it, nobody is forcing them to watch it, for us it's the most important/best competition in the world.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
From a tournament perspective Senegal deserved the trophy. From a selfish perspective I'm so glad Salah will be back at Liverpool before Mane (apparently the winner was going to stay longer for victory parade in their country, etc).

Mane has not been uprooting any trees for us and we have Jota/Diaz covering his position. Salah we need back, asap.
You might be underestimating the psychological effect that losing this final might have on Salah...

the_cliff

Also, the pictures and footage that will come out of the parade in Senegal will be crazy.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Mendy registered for unemployed aged 22. CL and AFCON winner a couple of years later. Hollywood stuff.

PoTMS

Was just looking at his Wiki, 33, 4 caps and not as many league appearances as you'd expect. Wouldn't think it with his presence in goal.
Maybe we can buy him and have him as a sub for cup games.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Pleased for Senegal, finally a quality generation of theirs wins an international title.

Hopefully they make world cup aswell as Egypt are just so tumescent to watch and that won't change anytime soon under Queiroz.

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
Nothing like winning your first trophy

Joel Miller

I really don’t think having your best taker set to go 5th is a gamble worth taking at all. Salah not even getting to step up just seems absurd at the end of it all!

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I just want to say the egyptian gk needs to become famous

Need to see a lot more of him :drool:

:lol:

@villain you agree? :D

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
I really don’t think having your best taker set to go 5th is a gamble worth taking at all. Salah not even getting to step up just seems absurd at the end of it all!
he’s an egomaniac. i have a friend who is in egypt’s medical team. he says salah got the players together at full time and told them to pretend they had won the tournament with salah had scoring the winning penalty. salah said he would ig unfriend any player who didn’t put in a believable performance. he forced three players to retire from football as “winning the african cup of nations is the pinnacle of my career and one i will never match.” he’s basically a monster.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I just want to say the egyptian gk needs to become famous

Need to see a lot more of him :drool:

:lol:

@villain you agree? :D
you read my mind, what a man :drool:
I’m suddenly a fan of whatever team he plays for.

The guy who gave away the penalty & missed a penalty too, was also very handsome

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I'm delighted to see Senegal finally winning this tournament for the first time. They were the better team and far more enjoyable to watch.

It will be interested to what happens in those huge World Cup playoff matches in March now.

Cloud7

This is why I love international football so much. It’s pure in a way that club football has not been for a long time now.

Pintu

Last 2 Afcon winners have national coaches. Hopefully a new trend in Africa

Specially after a horrible first game
And 6 of the last 9 titles went to national coaches. 2 of the 3 that didn't were won by Hervé Renard.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
It will be interested to what happens in those huge World Cup playoff matches in March now.
One of those matches include Ghana vs Nigeria. I think Ghana need Salisu and Lamptey to pledge their allegiance asap. Otherwise, I don't see a significant threat being posed to Nigeria. The one thing Ghana can take from the tournament is Kofi Kyereh who prior to the tournament was on the periphery, and now looks like he could be a mainstay in the starting berth. If he can form a symbiotic relationship with Mohammed Kudus who didn't get game time as a result of injury, then its atleast something to work with in the short term.

Although not making it to Qatar might not be the worst thing in the world, as Ghana are a long way off. I think it might be AFCON 2027 before Ghana make a push where the likes of Mizak Asante, Fatawu, Gyan and Sulemana will be more experienced.

RoyH1

Top post. Unfortunately many around these parts will disagree. If it was up to them, tournaments would be played in the same countries again and again and at convenient times for the Premier League.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
No I don’t think fight happen to the degree of players actually throwing punches all that often in top level football no I don’t. Also the ref blew the whistle incorrectly twice not once. Once on the 85th and in the 89th minute. No added time played at all.
I’m sure salahs’ afcon medal will be higher than his champions league medal or his premier league medal in his house when he looks back haha.

The standard of the whole tournament is awful, if you want to waste your time watching it then fair play must have hours to burn. my opinion won’t change in spite of the band wagon that’s pulled up outside for all you snowflakes
I had to go back to this comment because I mentioned that it would be probably be the one they cherish the most.

Sadio Mane:

"It's the best day of my life and the best trophy of my life," the 29-year-old Liverpool forward said.

"I won the Champions League and some [other] trophies but this is the special one for me. This is more important for me.

Cloud7

Top post. Unfortunately many around these parts will disagree. If it was up to them, tournaments would be played in the same countries again and again and at convenient times for the Premier League.
If it was up to many on here international football would be disbanded or be very close to it