African Cup of Nations 2021 (played in 2022) | Final: Senegal v Egypt, 7 PM UK time

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Coming back to reply to this after you personally issued a warning on my previous post is quite shameless.
I warned you 1 point for the second post, not before it. Why do you think that it is inappropriate for an admin to comment on your butting in? But don't answer that would be my advice as you seem to be escalating.

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Still not clear what you are saying. If you are implying that @We need an rvn was being racist in any way I think you need to retract because we frown on throwing such accusations around with no basis in the post in question.
  • I saw a post proclaiming the African tournament as "not taken seriously" and "second rate" (I assume in contrast to e.g. UEFA tournaments), because of incidents that actually happen in UEFA as well.
  • I think that's a double standard.
  • I see a double standard that concludes the African side is second rate, then that kind of raises my eyebrows.
  • I point out the double standard via a relevant fact (Zwayer being considered an elite referee, despite taking money) and then ask the user to clarify whether he just wasn't aware of said double standard or whether he has other reasons (a racist stereotype being the elephant in the room). Because I don't know him and I think if there indeed is a racial double standard at work, then it shouldn't be left unchallenged.
  • To be honest I actually expected an answer like "No, I'm not biased, I just didn't know about the European incidents" or "It's not a double standard, because...", which would have settled the matter for me.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
This thread is going to ruins, all caused by members coming in to tell us the AFCON is rubbish. Yet it's those who challenge the thread derailers who are threatened or picking up warnings. :(

GD6

the_cliff

Let's get back to the topic:

4 Fixtures today.

Feel for Senegal they're the only team this tournament to have to play 2 matches at 2pm (local time).

CraftySoAndSo

This thread is going to ruins, all caused by members coming in to tell us the AFCON is rubbish. Yet it's those who challenge the thread derailers who are threatened or picking up warnings. :(
This year is the first year i'm making an effort to watch as many of the matches as i can and even though there's been a lack of goals i'm still really enjoying it. If i wasn't i'd stop watching and certainly wouldn't come in here saying so and demeaning the competition, it's just riling up the people who are enjoying it.

Anyway back on topic i'm looking forward to Senegal vs Guinea today, Senegal are pretty much everyone's front runners for the tournament but Guinea have some nice players and i think there could be an upset.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
What a goal by Ayew. Ghana look to be too strong here.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture

Ghana need to do better retaining possession in the midblock. Really can't afford to concede with a draw putting Gabon in a very strong position. Want to see Kyereh and Partey to asymmetrically drop in half-spaces. Whilst Jordan has had a bit of joy being a ball carrier out wide, his natural instinct is closer to that o a #9. Therefore, I'd like to see him switch sides and roles by adopting a more narrow starting position moving closer to his brother and have Sulemana stretching the opposition on his dominant foot.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Conversely, I quite like the tactical tweak of having A Ayew as the most central player of the front three. He's constantly scanning the pitch, dropping deep and making himself a passing option. The Sulemana substitution seemed premeditated to me. Granted he struggled early on, but was getting into the game by the point of dismissal. Hopefully, Issahaku cam demonstrate exuberance to alleviate pressure on the back four. The pace of the game is a bit too frantic which suits the home side.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Asamoah Gyan was robbed of a Ballon D'Or.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Sweet strike for Brazil Gabon :drool:

Daisy cutter.

V.O.

Follows the theme for the other games I've seen. Pretty poor overall quality, but some great moments of class for the goals and wonderful fans throughout.

EDIT: PvP is breaking out for reasons I can't really understand.

V.O.

The referee is determined to send somebody off after the game is over due to a melee apparently just due to Ghana sour grapes. :lol:

Didn't look like a whole lot more than handbags on replay.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Have an exam I'm prepping for so missed all the action today bar the last few minutes of this Ghana vs Gabon game

Cue an equalizer and fisticuffs at the end of the game :annoyed:

Ghana can still qualify, they'll need to pummel Comoros in the last game

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Deserved equaliser for Gabon. Taking of Sulemana for the more risk averse Addo became counter-productive when another offensively orientated attacker in Joseph Paintsil was introduced just 5 minutes later. Either stay steadfast with bring on Addo I think that was a turning point in the game with the youngster realizing he wasn't getting joy going on the outside adjusted his runs to be infield. The bench is loaded with young players so the coach didn't have the options at his disposal to introduce an experienced figurehead to marshal the nerves of the Black Stars.

Tettey won't be missed. Would hate to see Ghana knocked out with Ajax's Mohammed Kudus not playing a single minute. By the time he's healthy , the competition may be over for Ghana.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I was at Wembley when Gyan scored that goal against England in the first clip.
Such an unorthodox striker, he was incredibly gifted. One of the most entertaining players in the game for me. The haircuts, his number 3, the dancing, incredible player.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Nigeria 3-0 up against Sudan... Early claim for being the most exciting team in the tournament

Egypt bottom of the group as things stand (they still play Guinea Bissau later today)

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
That’s harsh on Guinea Bissau.

Supports
Barcelona
6 years of terrible football from our side. We have no team. Too harsh on Guinea Bissau, that was a legit goal.

Pintu

6 years of terrible football from our side. We have no team. Too harsh on Guinea Bissau, that was a legit goal.
Who produced the delicious assist for Salah’s goal?

It looked like something form Scholes or Pirlo’s repertoire.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Nigeria 3-0 up against Sudan... Early claim for being the most exciting team in the tournament
I called you guys as favourites months ago, I think you have the most talented squad across all positions + depth on the bench.
Hopefully you win

E-mal

Nigeria far and away the most exciting team in the tourney.
Let's hope they are consistent till the end.

Glorio

Nigeria far and away the most exciting team in the tourney.
Let's hope they are consistent till the end.
And that they don't hit the old self-destruct button as they've been known to. Naija for the cup!

Edit: extremely soft pen btw!

Last edited:

Shunty

Supports
Man it’s
What an absolute farce of a competition. The whole thing is a joke.

minoo-utd

I think clearly we have no manager! But we have the players and they can do a lot better under a better manager. Quiroz is just terrible.

the_cliff

Al Solaia, Al Ahly player. He is Brilliant.
I mentioned him in a post on the first page on None European based players to look out for. The fact that El Neny plays for Arsenal and El Solia is still in Egypt shows that sometimes it's more about luck than talent.

minoo-utd

I mentioned him in a post on the first page on None European based players to look out for. The fact that El Neny plays for Arsenal and El Solia is still in Egypt shows that sometimes it's more about luck than talent.
Couldn’t agree more. Sad but true.

MalaysianRed7

What an absolute farce of a competition. The whole thing is a joke.
Why? I’m not African so have no affiliation to any team, but it’s been a good tournament to sporadically watch a few games of.

Is it just because of the disruption it’s caused to the PL?

Shunty

Supports
Man it’s
Why? I’m not African so have no affiliation to any team, but it’s been a good tournament to sporadically watch a few games of.

Is it just because of the disruption it’s caused to the PL?
Everyday there is something new that they should be embarrassed about. Yesterday was a massive fight on the pitch the day before the referee blew the whistle at 85 minutes. You have to admit they damage their own reputation, if I were a manager I’d be like you have interrupted my season for this? Really?

babablue

Everyday there is something new that they should be embarrassed about. Yesterday was a massive fight on the pitch the day before the referee blew the whistle at 85 minutes. You have to admit they damage their own reputation, if I were a manager I’d be like you have interrupted my season for this? Really?
Are you trying to say a fight on the pitch has never happened at the Euros /WC ? What about fans storming a stadium? I'm sure if you think hard enough, you can think of one or two examples closer to home. The referee blowing early was not good, but someone earlier in this thread posted an example of it happening in la liga. You can't make judgements based on one-off events.

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue