Music Afrobeats Thread

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I'm sure we have fans on here of the young yet exploding genre*. It's also gained a foothold in areas previously reserved for traditional hip-hop and RnB (such as radio, nightclubs, and album features).

Some of my favorites: Wizkid, Davido (who owned 2017), Mr. Eazi, Niniola, Nasty C (from South Africa), and so on.

I'll kick this off with the song of last year IMO:

*Not the music of and directly inspired by Fela Kuti - who is a legend.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Finally, my home.

Tiwa Savage, another great artist

Tekno

Love this Eazi song

Not sure if Jidenna counts as afrobeats, but as an African musician, his blend of rap/r&b/afrobeats is beautiful - his album was heavily underrated too

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
I think Azonto had a massive influence on the rise of Afrobeat as a more mainstream genre.
Like everything in life, it's all becoming a bit too samey as it gets more popular. Even Sarkodie has lost his touch for me.

Still, this was my song of 2017.

adexkola

Supports
I think Azonto had a massive influence on the rise of Afrobeat as a more mainstream genre.
Like everything in life, it's all becoming a bit too samey as it gets more popular. Even Sarkodie has lost his touch for me.

Still, this was my song of 2017.

Hard to disagree with that. Some of the genre's best music was released before that point though. I think Wizkid's first album for example has some of his strongest material.

I was younger and more outgoing back then so maybe I'm biased towards the soundtrack from that period.

villain

Hates Beyoncé

I need to create a playlist and get it ready for when I go to Ghana this summer.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
this one's slow

this one's a vibe

the dances to this one are soooo good, i hope they make a video for it

I'll spoiler a few, because they get me so hype every time I watch them, but if you ever wonder what an afrobeats party gets down like its similar to these;

This is kinda grime/afrobeats mash and its not meant to be entirely serious, but i'm obsessed with it at the moment :drool:

That should set you on your way @Rasendori plus listen to the ones posted already - the last Wizkid Album was great and i listen to it regularly

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
From those listed, I like:
Afro B - Drogba (Joanna) Prod by Team Salut*
Tekno - Anyhow
Uncle Rafooly x Tkay Madmax - Off Light [Music Video] | GRM Daily
Davido - If*
Tiwa Savage Ft. Wizkid & Spellz - Ma Lo ( Official Music Video )
Davido - FIA
Davido - Fall
Falz - La Fête
MAFIKIZOLO ft Uhuru KHONA
P-Square - Chop My Money Remix ft. Akon, May-D
D'Banj - Oliver Twist *
Sauti Sol - Girl Next Door featuring Tiwa Savage
DJ SPINALL - On A Low (Official Video) ft. YCee
Reekado Banks - Problem
YCee - Juice (Official Video) ft. Maleek Berry
Tekno - Anyhow*
Minz - Aunty Patricia

Asterisk being my favourite from those mentioned.

"This is kinda grime/afrobeats mash"
Another disclaimer used on here was SA house music. Apart from those two, what are some others that aren't quite afrobeats but similar (quality wise) nonetheless?

Never heard of any of the people listed on here. After listening to each song, I took it upon myself to Google them, to find out their nationality. Personally, found it interesting the people you've mentioned are predominantly Nigerian. Davido in particular, might well be my favourite. Thought I'd see if I could find some decent songs that weren't from Nigerians. Not that ,there's anything wrong with Nigerians, apart from Davido who is currently my favourite
Ajebutter22 - Bad Gang
Olamide - Wo
Wizkid - Final (Baba Nla)
WizKid - African Bad Gyal feat Chris Brown
WizKid - Come Closer (Redux – Official Video) ft. Drake
Tiwa Savage ft. Wizkid - Bad
, I liked these
Stonebwoy - Go higher
Stonebwoy - Hero
Stonebwoy - Mightytele
Stonebwoy - Enku Lenu
Guru - Mpaebo
E.L - Hallelujah ft. M.anifest
MzVee - My Time ft Lil Shaker
SHAKER - EDAWOSO
Shaker ft Pappy Kojo- Yellow Sisi
DJ Mensah - Bakaji ft. Shaker, Eno, Medikal, Strongman & Cabum
Fuse ODG ft. Angel - TINA
FUSE ODG - Dangerous Love ft. Sean Paul
Fuse ODG - Million Pound Girl (Badder Than Bad)

adexkola

Supports
@Rasendori

Good question. I think Nigeria and Ghana have been the focal point of the recent "explosion" in the genre. That also shows in what is played across the continent. I was in Nairobi, Kampala and Johannesburg in December, and in addition to local favorites, there was a lot of Wizkid, Davido, Tekno, etc being played on the radio, and in the clubs.

I would say East African artists produce good music. I find their twist on afrobeats to be slower and more melodical. Heavy use of Swahili and other local dialects of course. Platinum Diamonds, Radio and Weasel are some good artists I'd recommend from that sphere. Again, less exposure, but I think that will change with time as more artists learn to tailor their music for a more global audience.

I'm not sure I'd classify South Africa house as "afrobeats". It's soulful as feck though. I binged it for nearly a month after getting back. But a couple of DJs and artists do collaborations with Nigerian artists. DJ Maphorisa and Wizkid have a dope song together. In addition there are a bunch of good rappers there. Nasty C, Cassper come to mind.

Keep in mind that my exposure is almost entirely restricted to the Anglophone section of Africa. Bit harder for French music from West and Central Africa to break through to global exposure. Still there are those classics from Awilo Longomba, Fally Ipupa and co that everyone who frequents an Afrobeats venue is familiar with. Plus I'm sure Paris has it's own scene.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
@vi1lain

I feel they come up with new dances every week. I'm still stuck at Shoki. The videos are awesome... Except when they form circles in the club and do that. I'm not here for that :D
I'm trying to keep up too, I need to get my act together before I go back to Ghana and embarrass myself :lol:

Thick girls :eek::drool:
I would've never guessed that you'd be in to thick girls

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Let me know how that goes... I'm trying to visit Accra in December.
Best time of the year in December, there's usually a lot of afrobeats concerts/fesitvals on - plus the weather is at its peak.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
@adexkola Just saw your response. Pretty interesting stuff. Yeah, I wasn't saying SA House was afrobeats, I was asking what other genres (with African demographic) exist that aren't quite afrobeats. Is the 'dope' song you were thinking about, Good Love?

adexkola

Supports
@adexkola Just saw your response. Pretty interesting stuff. Yeah, I wasn't saying SA House was afrobeats, I was asking what other genres (with African demographic) exist that aren't quite afrobeats. Is the 'dope' song you were thinking about, Good Love?
Soweto Baby. Video is below:

Regarding the genre definition, it's still very young, so I don't think it has the boundaries more mature genres have. Which is good: it has room to absorb all the dope shit from the continent. Maybe in a few years.

adexkola

Supports
@adexkola don't let your thread die pls
You right! Dispelling bad energy...

A few years ago, Duncan Mighty was on constant rotation.

Glad to see he's been featured on a bunch of high-profile songs recently.

Finally since the dance in vogue is shaku shaku...

I'll update this periodically...

Rasendori

Man Of Culture

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Are you African @Rasendori ?

I'm glad you got into Tiwa Savage @adexkola :drool:

Davido has put out nothing but fire this year

I heard some great stuff when i was in Ghana last month, i'm trying to get my friend over there to send me a list.

adexkola

Supports

I'm glad you got into Tiwa Savage @adexkola :drool:

Davido has put out nothing but fire this year

I heard some great stuff when i was in Ghana last month, i'm trying to get my friend over there to send me a list.
I was never not into Tiwa! :D

How was Ghana? I'm trying to visit Accra for a few days in January.

adexkola

Supports

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I was never not into Tiwa! :D

How was Ghana? I'm trying to visit Accra for a few days in January.
Amazing! The nightlife really is crazy if you can get into the best bars & clubs.
I’m going back in December for about 10 days to just party non stop & go to Cape Coast for the first time

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
I like Wizkid ❤
This one is my favourite Wizkid song:

Which ones from Wizkid do you like?

Aane. Ghanaian descent to be exact, although England is both where I was born and live.

I didn't know who Tiwa was when this thread was made. But because of the 2nd post, I rate her highly. I went to a party having only heard Afro B - Drogba, and
Ma Lo. So after 5 minutes of fame cutting shapes on the dance floor, I was like now what :nervous: ... speaking of Tiwa ...
@adexkola got me into Davido though.
Amazing! The nightlife really is crazy if you can get into the best bars & clubs.
Do you remember the names of the best bars & clubs?. Also Cape Coast is awesome :devil: