Music Afrobeats Thread

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I have been meaning to post in this thread for a while but always forget.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Do you knooooooow how hard i'm stanning right now?!
First of all there were rumours she was in Ghana when I was there last December, but nobody had any confirmation - she was clearly there was filming this video

Secondly! If any of you have Disney+ then watch the Black Is King movie she created, she's retelling the Lion King to the music of her The Gift album, but it's done in a relatable way to all of us, it's beautiful. Uses so many different African & African American cultural imagery.
It's shot all over Africa, you can really see the beauty of the continent.

I'm just speechless

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Do you knooooooow how hard i'm stanning right now?!
First of all there were rumours she was in Ghana when I was there last December, but nobody had any confirmation - she was clearly there was filming this video

Secondly! If any of you have Disney+ then watch the Black Is King movie she created, she's retelling the Lion King to the music of her The Gift album, but it's done in a relatable way to all of us, it's beautiful. Uses so many different African & African American cultural imagery.
It's shot all over Africa, you can really see the beauty of the continent.

I'm just speechless
Thought you would :lol:

I don't think I have, but I'll find a way to watch it. Trying to stop myself from looking at my timeline going crazy with Beyonce feed.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

BBC Article on Afrobeats

Thoughts?
If I wasn't lazy, I'd write a book on the origin and rise of Afrobeats (as distinguished from Afrobeat of Fela fame). The article doesn't do it justice; Oliver Twist from D'Banj was more of the music becoming mainstream to a wider audience, but I would say it was a false start. Now If? Come Closer? Ye? Don't Rush? Now we're talking.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Ahem! @Rasendori @villain

New Wizkid.

(It's more of a calm album but a lot of the songs are jams honestly).
I haven't had a chance to listen but I am excited!
I prefer calm Wiz, he can carry the saxophone melodies effortlessly - if it's anything like the 'SoundMan Vol 1' album? I'm listening to it non stop

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I spent 2 weeks in Kenya about a decade ago and at the time a song by some guy called Alikiba was the banger of the summer. I came home and then forgot about it's existence until he randomly crossed my mind today. Turns out that banger was his debut song and he's kept going and gone on to do bigger and better projects.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Ahem! @Rasendori @villain

New Wizkid.

(It's more of a calm album but a lot of the songs are jams honestly).
Missed this, as I was banned at the time. Just heard Ginger. Issa vibe :drool:

Haven't heard the rest of the album though.

Love this

Had this one on repeat today. An absolute mood. :keano:
Might be one of my favourite ever in this genre

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
These two songs are ones to get me to murder the dance floor. :cool:

Edit - @WeePat Wasn't familiar with Alikaba, thanks for sharing. What did you make of Kenya?

Last edited:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Edit - @WeePat Wasn't familiar with Alikaba, thanks for sharing. What did you make of Kenya?
Sorry mate, no idea how I missed this at the time.

Kenya was fantastic. Spent most of it on the beaches in Mombasa. The street food was so good. I have a playlist of all the bangers at the time that I listen to sometimes when I feel like going down memory lane.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Sorry mate, no idea how I missed this at the time.

Kenya was fantastic. Spent most of it on the beaches in Mombasa. The street food was so good. I have a playlist of all the bangers at the time that I listen to sometimes when I feel like going down memory lane.
Sounds awesome. Can only imagine how relaxing that would've been for you. Funnily enough, I compiled research during quarantine, concerning places to explore marine life / partake in water sports and Mombasa was one of the names I came across. I see, Was Alikaba (post #145) ) not part of the playlist then? If Chelsea win the Champions League, what better way to celebrate than by paying for my ticket.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Sounds awesome. Can only imagine how relaxing that would've been for you. Funnily enough, I compiled research during quarantine, concerning places to explore marine life / partake in water sports and Mombasa was one of the names I came across. I see, Was Alikaba (post #145) ) not part of the playlist then? If Chelsea win the Champions League, what better way to celebrate than by paying for my ticket.
Mombasa is a fantastic place. It's on the coast so the atmosphere was less stuffy and cloudy than Nairobi, and the beaches will filled with welcoming locals. I had completely forgotten about Alikiba, in all honesty, so he wasn't on my playlist until very recently.

Last edited:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Davido seems to be one of those artists who just has great chemistry with everyone.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Not really the precise genre this thread is for but didn't know where else post this, so, you know sue me :D

A friend of mine sent me this Somali song, and it sent me down a rabbit hole of Somali music. Very interesting culture. One thing that stood out to me is the beats are always so catchy.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Not really the precise genre this thread is for but didn't know where else post this, so, you know sue me :D

A friend of mine sent me this Somali song, and it sent me down a rabbit hole of Somali music. Very interesting culture. One thing that stood out to me is the beats are always so catchy.