After all this, what happens if the Super League DOESN’T go through?

rio's upper lip

Will the clubs be punished? Does the intent alone warrant some kind of reaction from the governing bodies of football? Will there be a fan revolt against their respective owners? Can the owners continue like normal after a heavily publicized loss of honor, integrity and good will from fans and leaders of football? Or will it all blow over after some time?

Interesting times ahead, no doubt. Hell has truly broken loose.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I think if the clubs drop this quickly then all will be forgiven by the PL. They know they need them more than the clubs need the PL.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
People don't realise how important the clubs themselves are.

MDFC Manager

I think if the clubs drop this quickly then all will be forgiven by the PL. They know they need them more than the clubs need the PL.
This, and the clubs will have earned themselves more bargaining power than ever. There's no way they come out of it in a loss.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
It's not going to. UEFA will give the bigger clubs a greater share of the CL money in response to this, and we'll continue as is, maybe with 2 more matches a season in those competitions.

Sara125

This. Not sure why people are even entertaining the idea that the top 6 will be banned from participating should this go through. It’ll be literal revenue suicide for the PL.

RUCK4444

Just give the bigger clubs more of the TV revenue, they deserve more if they are the biggest draw for paying fans anyway, let’s be honest.

I’m against the greedy owners but none of this would likely be happening if the tv rights were apportioned how it would be in any other industry.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I think it will just go back to what it was. What else is there?

Guy Incognito

The English clubs will push for PL rule changes like before. Bigger slice of the pie.

Sky and BT will forgive them.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Just give the bigger clubs more of the TV revenue, they deserve more if they are the biggest draw for paying fans anyway, let’s be honest.

I’m against the greedy owners but none of this would likely be happening if the tv rights were apportioned how it would be in any other industry.
This is a fair point. We'll see. I'm all for compromise though.

OverratedOpinion

Man Utd get higher television rights than Barcelona despite Barcelona receiving a much higher percentage of their respective rights. Sharing the rights out more evenly makes the league much more enthralling as a whole and as such much more popular meaning that our smaller percentage of the pie is still more money than the alternative.

RUCK4444

Man Utd get higher television rights than Barcelona despite Barcelona receiving a much higher percentage of their respective rights. Sharing the rights out more evenly makes the league much more enthralling as a whole and as such much more popular meaning that our smaller percentage of the pie is still more money than the alternative.
Yeah I don’t really care about making the league more enthralling and I very much doubt the owners do either.

Nobody aims for the stars to be a champion to make their competitors better at the same time.

Random hypothetical scenario; Ask yourself, should Usain Bolt pay for the training and sponsorship of his direct competitors as a result of being a world champion? Of course he shouldn’t.

It wouldn’t happen anywhere other than football.

padzilla

Hipster
I think this is just to force UEFA's hand into giving the club's even more power and money. Some compromise deal that is bad news for fans will emerge and be heralded as fantastic.

Red Star One

The clubs are too big too fail and pay a serious price, especially if they act collectively. They’re benefiting from this, whatever the outcome

cyberman

Theyll do nothing. Im predicting a revamp of CL where the top sides skips the group stages for a larger slice of the lie.

el3mel

It will go through imo. All the 12 clubs announcing it yesterday means it's serious business. It's really going to happen this time.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
From the sounds of it, they will breakaway and do their own thing and the owners are fully committed to move forward and just explode financially, putting the final nail in the coffin and killing any remaining history, tradition, sense of responsibility to fans and community involved. As much as I love United I'm disgusted by it and I hope they all get punished severely.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Yeah I don’t really care about making the league more enthralling and I very much doubt the owners do either.

Nobody aims for the stars to be a champion to make their competitors better at the same time.

Random hypothetical scenario; Ask yourself, should Usain Bolt pay for the training and sponsorship of his direct competitors as a result of being a world champion? Of course he shouldn’t.

Your scenario makes little sense and bares no resemblence to football at all!

I would rather watch a competitive league with ten or more teams capable of beating each other than a procession whereby the top two or three will always be there (La Liga for example).

Football as a sport and an entertainment brand has thrived on competition, the only way to get competition is to have a level playing field. We don't currently have that to be fair, but the playing field would be even more tilted in favour of the 'big six' if this league is to go ahead.

I dont think there is a real intent for it to go through. They want to ruffle a few feathers and get what they want implemented into the current league format. The league can do nothing beyond a pre-agreed slap on the wrist... they cant afford to lose the clubs or the players and they know it.

I firmly believe this whole saga is beneficial. Football is truly broken and needs this reshuffle to happen. Everybody seems to have forgotten what a mess the current system is for both clubs and fans.

RoyH1

If UEFA budges and gives the bigger clubs a bigger slice of the pie as well as more influence, it might be back to status quo.

Some of the Spanish clubs might get some real dodgy refereeing in La Liga though (or be forced to play at 3 in the morning or something of the like). That Tebas guy is absolutely beside himself in anger and is bellowing like a wounded bull. And he holds a grudge.

El Zoido

This. Not sure why people are even entertaining the idea that the top 6 will be banned from participating should this go through. It’ll be literal revenue suicide for the PL.
Plus you end up punishing players and other staff who have nothing to do with it. Relegate Man Utd, kick them out of Europe, and deny the players a chance of success, just cause Joel Glazer is a greedy cnut? This is why it’s difficult to punish clubs, because innocent people are collateral. It would be a legal nightmare too, every person affected would have right to claim.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Reputations have been damaged. Ours and Liverpool’s won’t be restored until the owners are gone. City fans are probably slightly less determined to boot theirs out in disgrace...

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Will the clubs be punished? Does the intent alone warrant some kind of reaction from the governing bodies of football? Will there be a fan revolt against their respective owners? Can the owners continue like normal after a heavily publicized loss of honor, integrity and good will from fans and leaders of football? Or will it all blow over after some time?

Interesting times ahead, no doubt. Hell has truly broken loose.
God yes.

The clubs involved in this breakaway should expect expulsion from their domestic leagues, along with protesting riots outside the ground and boycotting matches - resulting in heavy losses to matchday and merchandising revenue.

vodrake

For the fans, similar to when a high profile player comes out with the old "looking for new challenges" spiel and starts batting their eyelids at other clubs, only to sign a new bumper contract. As long as they're performing well all will be fine, but the resentment and loss of trust will be bubbling away under the surface for a long time waiting for a slip up

From the PL and other governing bodies, it would quickly be business as normal I feel. They're all business men and have made plenty of their own power grabs and decisions based on greed, and they know keeping these clubs on side will make more money for them in the end

padr81

Supports
Man City
I reckon in order they should punish all the clubs. Liverpool, Arsenal and United- 150 points, Spurs and Chelsea - 100 points, City - $100 fine (overturned on appeal to CAS)

Seriously though all 6 should be relegated to the conference. But what will happen? Nothing and down the road they'll try again.

Lynty

They've all committed, they wouldn't have done so without assurances that all members would see this through. I'd expect financial agreements are also set is stone. If one club steps away - they'll be stabbing the rest in the back (ironic).

On the same note, UEFA and FA could compromise but would lose all the remaining traces of credibility they have if they pandered to the clubs demands.

It's a stalemate which I can only see ending one way - the ESL forms and UEFA/FA pick up the pieces of what's left behind and try to salvage broken leagues/broadcast rights etc.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
If it doesn't go through, the clubs involved get more money from the UEFA, guaranteed qualification for CL, more influence, etc.

There will be no strong punishment, no idea where people get that idea from. The big clubs effectively hold the most power in this matter.

OverratedOpinion

You are missing the point. Being part of a competitive league makes Man Utd more money than the alternative where we take 50% of the total revenue. Surely you and the owners care about how much money we make?

In your hypothetical, if doing so made the sport of sprinting much larger and in turn earned Usian more money whilst providing better funding to everyone else then sure great.

Loon

:lol:
I'd love to see certain people pissed off they can't screw another dime out of the club and feck off.

Lynty

If it doesn't go through, the clubs involved get more money from the UEFA, guaranteed qualification for CL, more influence, etc.

There will be no strong punishment, no idea where people get that idea from. The big clubs effectively hold the most power in this matter.
UEFA, FA and FIFA have outlined what the punishment will be. That's what we're going off.

It would be nice if they had enough backbone to stick to it. If there is no punishment it would be a farce.

Gasolin

It's not going to. UEFA will give the bigger clubs a greater share of the CL money in response to this, and we'll continue as is, maybe with 2 more matches a season in those competitions.
I don’t believe that. I think the schism is real.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
People don't realise how important the clubs themselves are.
"Clubs" mean nothing in isolation. Fans and star players are important. If players go on strike (like they do in the United states to fight similarly greedy and shitty franchise owners in the US) and fans don't watch the Super-shit League, in protest - club owners can go feck themselves

I don’t believe that. I think the schism is real.
I agree. J.P. Morgan Chase, a massive bank in the United States already announced they will bankroll this crap league by billions of dollars. Owners won't back off of that easily, even if they know the Shit League will only last couple years

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
As an absolute bare minimum, all 6 clubs should be hit with a 9 point penalty to start the next season. Just for having the gall to come out with this.

Fcuk them all. I’ve been a United supporter for 33 years. But United only exist because the sport does. I’m not going to put my Clubs money hungry American owners above the sport I love. United should be punished.

There has to be a price paid. A high enough one that these vultures don’t just repackage the idea again.

rotherham_red

As an absolute bare minimum, all 6 clubs should be hit with a 9 point penalty to start the next season. Just for having the gall to come out with this.

Fcuk them all. I’ve been a United supporter for 33 years. But United only exist because the sport does. I’m not going to put my Clubs money hungry American owners above the sport I love. United should be punished.

There has to be a price paid. A high enough one that these vultures don’t just repackage the idea again.
Honestly, I wouldn't be against the mooted idea last night of the clubs having to start in the 5th tier. A proper punishment should be meted out and 9 points is relatively minor when you consider that the other teams are so inconsistent that the 9 point deduction is going to be rendered almost null within 6 weeks of the season starting.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
All of those with a seat at the UEFA and ECA ExCom tables have denounced their roles.

I'm not really sure how you can go back to normal on the European side.

Once you choose to walk out on your wife and kids, is she going to welcome you back with open arms because your plans went pear-shaped?

Premier League wise I can't see too many long term issues, especially as the big clubs are already seen as greedy and horrible by the chasing pack.

RedDevil@84

Nothing much. The big clubs would have successfully negotiated more money/more power in UEFA. Everyone forgets and forgives, so to speak

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Honestly, I wouldn't be against the mooted idea last night of the clubs having to start in the 5th tier. A proper punishment should be meted out and 9 points is relatively minor when you consider that the other teams are so inconsistent that the 9 point deduction is going to be rendered almost null within 6 weeks of the season starting.
I’m advocating a 9 point penalty for next season. Just for being sneaky cnuts. It would ensure that many of them missed out on Europe the following year.

If the thing goes ahead, I think I could accept relegation. Though a 4 year European ban probably hits harder. Having 6 teams smashing the lower leagues out of sight doesn’t really feel like a way to reward the EFL teams.

Paul_Scholes18

I think the Glaziers can feck off. They have killed my love for this club. Now I have had enough I think.

I almost want us to fail just to see them leave, but it is pointless with a super league since they enjoy being bottom and earning the cash.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
UEFA, FA and FIFA have outlined what the punishment will be. That's what we're going off.

It would be nice if they had enough backbone to stick to it. If there is no punishment it would be a farce.
The threats are all part of the play, in reality they're not going to do shit. It's just two sides taking their most extreme position in the negotiations, eventually they'll meet each other in the middle.

The FIFA won't ban the best players in the world, they're a corrupt organisation who've been getting filthy rich based off the star power of these very players.

Similar goes for UEFA, why on earth would they punish the clubs that have been bringing all the money in and literally have billions of fans worldwide? Imagine them banning those 12 clubs from the CL, good luck selling a Leicester City vs Villareal CL semi-final next year, I bet billions of fans and sponsors worldwide are really looking forward to that, and willing to splash out big. Real star appeal for the biggest brands.

Same goes for the FA, why on earth would they shoot themselves in the foot by punishing the most popular clubs that have been bringing in the most money?

I don't understand why people would like to see punishment either. You want United to get punishment for trying to take more money for themselves, which is good for the club, instead of letting it flow to the UEFA? Why?