Television Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
It looks shit.
Maybe, but reviews of the pilot shown at Comic-con are pretty good so far.

8.5 from IGN; 8.5 from CraveOnline; 'very good' from TVLine.com; 'highly recommend' from a comicbook.com blog; stunning special effects but confusing storylines according to NY Times; smart, witty, Whedonesque dialogue from Entertainment Weekly; 'no doubt SHIELD has what it takes..' from shieldtv and 'just as awesome as you expected' from buzzfeed.

Some aren't great sources I know, but there's a good variety there of different sources who all think it's atleast 'decent'. The show has potential for sure.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Maybe, but reviews of the pilot shown at Comic-con are pretty good so far.

8.5 from IGN; 8.5 from CraveOnline; 'very good' from TVLine.com; 'highly recommend' from a comicbook.com blog; stunning special effects but confusing storylines according to NY Times; smart, witty, Whedonesque dialogue from Entertainment Weekly; 'no doubt SHIELD has what it takes..' from shieldtv and 'just as awesome as you expected' from buzzfeed.

Some aren't great sources I know, but there's a good variety there of different sources who all think it's atleast 'decent'. The show has potential for sure.
Don't worry about Cider. He's going to be the first to watch it, bowl of popcorn and all.

ciderman9000000

Not a tv series man Cider? Or which ones do you watch?
Nah I dig TV shows. I've seen The Wire, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, Justified, House of Cards, Deadwood, The Rugrats etc.

I just think this SHIELD stuff looks like cheese personified.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Nah I dig TV shows. I've seen The Wire, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, Justified, House of Cards, Deadwood, The Rugrats etc.

Ok cool. Did you ever try watching Banshee, Ray Donovan or Bates Motel? What you think of it? It sounds like tv series you'd like, looking at your list.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

The list of shows you've watched shows you're a good judge of what's good TV.

The fact that you think that Agents of shield looks crap shows you're a good judge of what's bad TV!

I'm with you, this show looks like a turd that's been through a digestive tract three times!

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Yeah, Cider I'm the same as you usually I want my TV shows to have some grit to them.

But I enjoyed Arrow season 1 quite a bit, it was entertaining enough to pass the time, a nice change from the heavier shows.

I imagine this will be the same.

kps88

You just have to look at the people involved to know what sort of show to expect. Joss Whedon does great when it comes to large ensembles with a mix of procedural and serialised elements (Buffy, Firefly). The other two working on this with him were responsible for Doctor Horrible and also wrote a few episodes for Spartacus.

Unless they mess up badly, it's going to be a fun, entertaining show that isn't mean to be taken too seriously.

ciderman9000000

You just have to look at the people involved to know what sort of show to expect. Joss Whedon does great when it comes to large ensembles with a mix of procedural and serialised elements (Buffy, Firefly). The other two working on this with him were responsible for Doctor Horrible and also wrote a few episodes for Spartacus.

Unless they mess up badly, it's going to be a fun, entertaining show that isn't mean to be taken too seriously.
If it's anywhere near as good as Buffy the Vampire Slayer then I'll certainly be giving it a fecking wide berth. If Buffy's the benchmark on this then sheeeeeeeeeeeeet...

kps88

If it's anywhere near as good as Buffy the Vampire Slayer then I'll certainly be giving it a fecking wide berth. If Buffy's the benchmark on this then sheeeeeeeeeeeeet...

Don't like Firefly either?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Buffy was a great show in its day. It's dated as feck now but was excellent for what it was (a show for teens).

I don't expect this Shield thing to be as good as Breaking Bad but so long as it is not another "No Ordinary Family" or "Terra Nova" I'll watch.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I believe it aired last night 24/09? (well not 100% of the time differences with the US)

Did anyone manage to watch it?

I'll probably download it tonight or tomorrow to give it a go.

Count Orduck

I just want to see how on earth they explain how (Avengers spoiler):
Coulson returns from the dead

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Maybe this is "pre-Avengers"?

edit: I'm not really sure if that's even possible, just thought it's the likeliest explanation. Either that or they'll just completely ignore the Avengers bit :lol:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Well Whedon wrote the pilot, so he'll probably make a joke out of it, and that will be that...

Also, the pilot also has Shepard Book in... so that's nice.

kps88

Was a solid enough pilot. I understand it's Marvel but some of the stuff was just too cheesy and cliched, despite the self aware humor. They have a big team of characters to introduce so it'll probably be strictly procedural at first until we get to know the cast. Hope they delve into some Marvel mythology and serialised elements eventually though.

Too early to judge whether this will turn out to be any good.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Was a solid enough pilot. I understand it's Marvel but some of the stuff was just too cheesy and cliched, despite the self aware humor. They have a big team of characters to introduce so it'll probably be strictly procedural at first until we get to know the cast. Hope they delve into some Marvel mythology and serialised elements eventually though.

Too early to judge whether this will turn out to be any good.
Thanks for the update kps.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Just watched it, haven't really warmed up to the cast much apart from agent Colson, who was one of my favourite avengers character, and Sky who seems to have a nice edge to her. I would LOVE it if they introduced Nick Fury in like a finale episode, but I doubt that would happen. Definitely going to watch the next episode as it looks like they will have a good budget for this and more shall come, surprisingly hooked in by the pilot.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
My expectations are low but overall a decent first episode.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I enjoyed it. The tone was about what I expected and Wheedon's fingerprints were all over it (get Eliza Dushku in it Joss!).

On a side note, I've never met anyone with the English accent US television execs seem to think we all have.

Drifter

American
The pilot aired on channel 4 in the UK. Thought it felt rushed . Seemed to focus on the characters of shield, and for that to work they have to be interesting. But it was a pilot, maybe it will grow on you.