Aguero - not long at City?

Irwin99

World class new striker incoming? :nervous: I never rated Jesus as a top class player but he'd be a good back up.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Tell me why he should have a statue!
He's their all time top scorer, one of their best ever players and has been consistently excellent for a decade.

Not to mention he is responsible for the single greatest moment in the clubs history.

If anyone deserved a statue for football more, it's not by much.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Amazing player. One of the premier leagues best strikers.

Mindhunter

He wouldn't have even joined City if they didn't have the money to pay him.
Don't cod yourself
What? They literally didn't win the league for 44 years before he hit that injury time winner against QPR to win them the title. You are being disingenuous if you really believe that he isn't one of their most influential players in the last 50 years.

Let's not bring money into the equation here. A lot of players joined United because of the money and the promise of titles without having any affiliation with the club or the city whatsoever. Just because City did it quickly and will money from a sovereign fund doesn't mean he didn't score those goals and didn't win those matches. He is a legend for them.

Leethal

I hate City as much as the rest, but if anyone deserves one, it's him. The club doesn't have much in the way of history, and his goal against QPR to seal them their first premier league title is a pretty monumental moment for the club.

Winrar

Has Aguero really been at City for what looks to be 10 years now? Time really flies...

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
The difference between teams like City and us...we would have given him a 1+1 contract, maybe even longer. We have some weird blind faith in all our signings.

cvb

Supports
City
I’m hoping City name the North Stand (the end where he scored *that* goal v QPR) after him rather than a statue. That end of the ground is always going to be associated with him the most, so why not make it official.

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
Glazers will be picking their lips here.

Leaving just in time for us considering we are so cheap we only sign 30+ stop gap strikers.

Good thing Aguero would reject us.
Seriously doubt they have ever heard of him

Probably one of those americans who can name pele and thats it

Paddy B

Supports
Manchester City
What? They literally didn't win the league for 44 years before he hit that injury time winner against QPR to win them the title. You are being disingenuous if you really believe that he isn't one of their most influential players in the last 50 years.

Let's not bring money into the equation here. A lot of players joined United because of the money and the promise of titles without having any affiliation with the club or the city whatsoever. Just because City did it quickly and will money from a sovereign fund doesn't mean he didn't score those goals and didn't win those matches. He is a legend for them.
Brilliant comments mate from a proper football fan.

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
Wonderful player.
Cant help but feel he's wasted his career a bit mind playing for a plastic oil club. Could have done much better.
He won numerous PL titles and will go down as a premier league great.

He clearly did just fine.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Don't cod yourself
Jesus, just stop. To think that he isn’t a legend to City & its tens of supporters is just flat out delusional.

Jack - City Fan

Supports
Man City
Jesus, I remember being at his first game against Swansea behind the goal when he came on two score two and assist one. Is this what getting old feels like? 10 years.

RedDevil@84

Don't cod yourself
City's top scorer of all time.
Going to have 5 PL medals, possibly 2 FA cup medals, 4 EFL medals.
Could have easily become 3rd top scorer in PL history, if he was fit this season and played more often.

And talking about money is pure nonsense. You are letting your dislike for the Sheikh money cloud your judgement about Aguero's individual brilliance.
In 9 seasons, his worst tally of total goals in a season is 17 or something. Absolute legend for the club and if they want a statue, it is well justified.

Your other argument that footballers in general don't deserve a statue is of course a different discussion altogether. More than half of the statues in the world are of kings, monarchs, soldiers etc etc. Many of them ridiculous war mongers who killed and maimed people for glory, greed and power.

RashyForPM

He was obviously sensational in his prime, but I wouldn’t take him now whatsoever. Player available for a maximum 15 games every season on extremely high wages, like Cavani. No chance.

Throw all our striker eggs into the Haaland or Kane basket.

mu4c_20le

Their statues lost its meaning when they handed it out to Silva and the other bloke

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Great player. But I wish (or rather not given who he plays for!) he had managed to keep the dribbling ability that he had when he was a kid. He lost much of that as he became a top class goalscorer. Which happens all the time of course, but I think he could have combined the two a little more.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
City want to build Aguero statue at the Etihad, what's wrong with that? It's not like they want to build Elvis Presley statue!

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Great player. But I wish (or rather not given who he plays for!) he had managed to keep the dribbling ability that he had when he was a kid. He lost much of that as he became a top class goalscorer. Which happens all the time of course, but I think he could have combined the two a little more.
Used to view him as a junior brother (style wise) to Messi when he was at Atletico.

Sparky Rhiwabon

We need to get more statues....like way more statues :lol:
Imagine if we’d given a statue to every club legend as soon as they’d left - Robson, Hughes, Keane, Giggsy, Neville, Cole, Ole, Cantona, Neville, Becks...the list goes on. We’d have more statues than in our defence at a set piece!

Last edited:

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
For the last 5 years, every single post match footage of him he was limping. City do that tunnel cam thing on YouTube and we've won there a lot in the last 5 years so it's always good fun.

He always looked in pain.

Zen86

Not like they've got anyone else to build a statue of. Shaun Goater and Mike Summerbee maybe.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The difference between teams like City and us...we would have given him a 1+1 contract, maybe even longer. We have some weird blind faith in all our signings.
I’d hate to turn this into a Man Utd moan thread as we have a billion already, but yeah, this is one specific thing I really hate that we absolutely do. Likes of Ashley Young or Nemanja Matic — good players but nowhere near as important to the club as Aguero was — got a cheeky contract extension or two for no real reason.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Fantastic. City and United both in the market for a new number 9 this summer. That’s going to end well, isn’t it?
Gives Cavani’s team another edge if we’re still trying to scramble a year extension on him, too...

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Used to view him as a junior brother (style wise) to Messi when he was at Atletico.
Yup. He was a really explosive dribbler when he was just 'Kun'. I was a bit surprised how that mostly went away from his game. But his efficiency in the final third was obviously brilliant.

Chabon

He’s played for the club for 10 of the 13 seasons it’s existed, and arguably been their best player. Why wouldn’t they build him a statue?

HerbT

Supports
man city fc
Was an incredible striker in his prime, should deservedly go down as one of the best strikers the league has ever seen.
In the basis of goals scored per minute played he’s the best ever / most lethal ever striker to play in the Premier League - better than Henry, RVP etc. Afew have scored more (Shearer for one) but they played here for much longer.

Love the bloke but nice to see that he’s off because he spends more and more time out injured nowadays and it takes ever increasingly longer for him to get up to speed again on his return. Be good to remember him like he’s been for us in his pomp rather than witness a decline over the next season or two.

I presume he’ll go to South America or maybe to Spain but I’ll even be happy if he stays in England and gets a big earner out of a rival as he gave us plenty enough and deserves nothing less than accolades.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Buying Kane over Haaland would be tremendously stupid and these two words are not something I associate with City's transfer policy.
Not really. Kane suits pep and city far more than haaland. Its not peps job to worry that haaland will be playing in 8 years time when he's not even manager.

Pagh Wraith

Not really. Kane suits pep and city far more than haaland. Its not peps job to worry that haaland will be playing in 8 years time when he's not even manager.
Kane is under contract until 2024 and would cost an extraordinary amount of money (not just the transfer fee). He's had his injury issues but most importantly you don't splash out this amount of cash on 28-year olds. Most clubs, and City are certainly very well run in this regard, understand this by now. I said the same thing about Partey and Ziyech last summer. You give these players five-year deals on big money which makes moving them on very difficult in the final years of their contracts. Now to be fair Kane is at a different level than those two mentioned and money is certainly not as big of an issue at City (but again, if you look at their signings under current leadership, you'll see they certainly buy smart and not just 'by name') but with the amount of football Kane has played over the last few years and the injuries he's had, I'd have some serious doubts if you can get five years out of him in which he performs at a world class level. I'm happy to eat my words but I don't think City are seriously considering him.