Aguero vs Henry: The Greatest PL #9?

Matt007a

Aguero is very consistent but his best season doesn't come close to Henry, Shearer, Ronaldo or Suarez in their best seasons. You could maybe include RVP in 12/13 in that as well.

He's a superb player but he isn't in the absolute top echelon for me.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I think Shearer's true greatness was down to his longevity in the league. On ability to score goals alone, the numbers suggest Aguero is better.
You always have to remember Shearer was still playing at an older age than Aguero is now when doing looking at the numbers, and Shearer's numbers tailed off, particularly in his last 2 seasons in the league.

I put somewhat relative numbers for the two, plus Henry in a previous post.

Full seasons only,which is 8 so far for Aguero he's scored 164 in 239 - 0.69 goals a game
In Shearer's first 8 once the Division One became the Premier League he scored 176 in 253, 0.70 a game
Henry had 8 seasons in England and scored 174 in 254 - 0.69

So for those respective 8 seasons Shearer scored more in total and very marginally at a better rate per game than Aguero.

Shearer as a whole is 260 in 441 in the PL, 0.59 goals a game, or in English league football because he started before the PL did as young player he's on 283 in 559 for 0.51.

We're yet to see what happens with Aguero as he gets into the twilight years of his career. He may even leave before a drop off happens. Or he might end up with that better record overall in the PL, he's certainly started this season very well indeed!

Blueman

Supports
Man City
I am still amazed that Aguero will never get player of the year, same for all City players tbf. It will always be the big boys who get those things

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I am still amazed that Aguero will never get player of the year, same for all City players tbf. It will always be the big boys who get those things
Which season? Only season he was top scorer was 2014-15 and Hazard was the best player in that season.

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
As a striker Henry was some way above Aguero. For a single season, Suarez was best when he nearly carried an average Liverpool team to the title.
Shearer is way ahead of others in goalscoring though and that has to count. Total professional and if he’d signed for SAF I think we would rate him as no. 1

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Premier League Ronaldo isn't really peak Ronaldo is he? I was more impressed with Henry in the PL as well honestly. Of course Ronnie went on to achieve far greater things, but still, an argument can be made for Henry looking solely at the PL.

Well and I suppose international career wise.
Just because he got even better in La Liga doesn't discredit his EPL career. He won quite a few titles in his time here. Put it this way, in CR7's best year he scored 31 goals in 34 games. Compare that to Henry's best season of 30 goals in 37 games. Do I even need to mention that one was a winger and the other was a striker? For longevity, sure, Henry had a better career, but only because he stayed longer. In terms of who is the greatest the league has ever seen, then it has to be CR7...

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
As it was my post from another thread that was quoted here's the equivalent combined goals + assists numbers:

Aguero
2014/15 - 34 goals + assists (33 apps)
2015/16 - 26 (30)
2016/17 - 23 (31)
2017/18 - 27 (25)
2018/19 - 29 (33)
Totals: 139 in 152, 0.91 per game

Taken it from 14/15 onwards they're certainly his best 5 years in a row of goalscoring.

Reminder of the other two:

Shearer
1992/93 - 20 goals + assists (21 apps)
1993/94 - 35 (40)
1994/95 - 47 (42)
1995/96 - 38 (35)
1996/97 - 32 (31)
Totals: 172 in 169, 1.02 per game

Henry
2001-02 - 29 goals + assists (33 apps)
2002-03 - 44 (37)
2003-04 - 36 (37)
2004-05 - 39 (32)
2005-06 - 35 (32)
Totals: 183 in 171, 1.07 per game

Might as well do a best-fit equivalent to the other stat I chucked up, the 8 season one when it comes to just goals. It's slightly different for Aguero as he'd not long turned 23 when he came to the Premier League. Can't do ages 22-29 with him like you can with the other two.

Henry's Arsenal PL career 1999/00-2006/07, Age 22-29, 254 appearances. 174 goals, 0.69 goals per game

Shearer 1992/93-1999/00, Age 22-29, 253 appearacnes, 176 goals, 0.70 goals per game

Aguero 2011/12-2018/19, Age 23-30, 239 appearances 164 goals, 0.69 goals per game
Good effort, thanks.

Amazingly tight which is what I'd have expected tbh.

I still think the quality of Agueros' teammates (especially compared to some of Shearers) gives him an advantage. Also the quality of opposing defences now as someone else pointed out (and arguably midfields which impact on chances created) is lower than when the other two played. If they were close to him, I'd say they had tougher times.... the fact that they just edge him regardless of opponents is a reflection of how good they both were.
Nah.

Henry>Shearer>Aguero

Either way Henry>Aguero.
Yip.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Aguero is very consistent but his best season doesn't come close to Henry, Shearer, Ronaldo or Suarez in their best seasons. You could maybe include RVP in 12/13 in that as well.

He's a superb player but he isn't in the absolute top echelon for me.
Disagree with that one. Suarez was immense but he racked up a lot of his goals against the bottom half in his best season and in particular against the three that were relegated. I do not think that at any point you could have said Suarez was comfortably better or more dependable than Aguero was for City.

lex talionis

Not sure that Rooney or Agueros peaks come anywhere near Titis, especially Roo. Henry was legit top 3 in the world (2nd behind Dinho at best). At no time were any of those other forwards considered amongst the world's top 3 players.
Peak Rooney was a monster of a footballer. There was always something raw about his game, but when his head was right and was at top fitness I'd put him up against any other footballer on the planet at that time short of Messi and Ronaldo.

Aidan Azar

Supports
Chelsea
Unless you're a City fan or born yesterday, this shouldnt even be a question.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
I have a different opinion about the level of defense now and in the past. Individually it may be worse but as a unit it is better now.

I'll watch Shearer's goals again.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
When I first started watching football, I remember this commercial and had a huge respect for Henry since:
Being such a newbie at the time, I didn't even know who that hairy French guy was :angel:

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
Henry was majestic. He could do so much more than just score. He has multiple goals, against top teams where he just drinkers through entire defences. I feel privileged to have grown up watching players like him. Aguero is great too but if you asked me well if rather watch week in week out it's definitely Henry. He scores the same crazy amount too.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
Wow, how the hell do you know him. He's a rather annoying pundit nowadays.

Also, how can you ommit our most iconic striker ever; Dirk Kuyt :nervous:
I was watching a random match on local telie, the only thing I remember was Ed de Goey as the goalie and this Meijer guy as the striker.
I googled it, it was a WC qualifier against San Marino in 1993 (Netherlands won 6 - 0).
That's the first time and the last time I saw him played.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Still Henry. Henry was maybe just below Sergio as a goalscorer (at least in goals per minute), very slightly below, but better at absolutely everything else on the pitch. Henry was almost Aguero and KDB in one.

Bojan11

Still Henry for me too.

Aguero is a deadly poacher. But I preferred watching him when he was at Atletico. I didn’t enjoy watching his first few years at City but he was such a deadly player then. He still is but mainly in the box. Obviously injuries haven’t helped.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Henry is ahead of Aguero for me as an overall player and forward. I don't care what the statistics may be, I've seen more than enough of both of them to comfortably say Henry is probably the greatest forward the Premier League has ever seen. He could score, dribble, assist, score from set pieces, was faster, stronger, taller, and just overall better than Aguero. The only thing missing from his game was heading ability.

GlasgowCeltic

Phenomenal consistency without ever generating the feeling that you were witnessing greatness that you felt with Henry and Suarez.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Still Henry. Henry was maybe just below Sergio as a goalscorer (at least in goals per minute), very slightly below, but better at absolutely everything else on the pitch. Henry was almost Aguero and KDB in one.
Only a slight exaggeration which tells you how good Henry was. Henry still, but that takes nothing away from Aguero.

padr81

Supports
Man City
He played in lesser teams. He also had injuries that make Aguero's seem like playground knocks. Take nothing away from Aguero. He's up there with Van Nistelrooy for best penalty box striker.

Henry was better player than Aguero. He was also a bottler. So on that count If I had to pick a 9 to win me a do or die game - Aguero, Rooney or Drogba every day.
RVN was a top striker but never in Kun's league as a goal scorer, which is why he's not considered in the debate any time it comes up.
No one is really.. its frightening how good Kun's ability to score goals is in comparison to every other stiker in prem history.
Given Salah, Auba and Jesus haven't had that many seasons and its hard to know if it'll be maintained.. Aguero and Henry stand out as easily the 2 best. Kane too is stunning but hasn't yet quite the longevity.

Sergio - 106 minutes per goal.
Kane -117
Auba - 118
Salah - 119
Henry - 121 (considering his assists as well, his ration is amazing).
Jesus - 122
RVN - 128
Suarez - 134
RVP - 139
Crespo - 140

ShinjiNinja26

Henry. As good as Aguero is I think people forget just how good Henry was because he’s been retired a good while now, whereas Aguero’s current your seeing him every week.

Henry had crazy numbers in goals and assists consistently. Absolute machine.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
RVN was a top striker but never in Kun's league as a goal scorer, which is why he's not considered in the debate any time it comes up.
No one is really.. its frightening how good Kun's ability to score goals is in comparison to every other stiker in prem history.
Given Salah, Auba and Jesus haven't had that many seasons and its hard to know if it'll be maintained.. Aguero and Henry stand out as easily the 2 best. Kane too is stunning but hasn't yet quite the longevity.

Kane -117
Auba - 118
Salah - 119
Jesus - 122
RVN - 128
Suarez - 134
RVP - 139
Crespo - 140
A lot of disrespect towards RVN in this post, Henry's name gets thrown into conversations because he was more than just a goal scorer, RVN's name is very rarely mentioned because A- not much longevity and B- he was with us during a down period for the club

RVN at his best between 2001-2003 beats any 2 year period Aguero has produced

Sweet Square

Aguero would be better over the course of a season(In terms of goals and getting winning your team the PL) but he's never reached the pure genius levels of Henry.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
A lot of disrespect towards RVN in this post, Henry's name gets thrown into conversations because he was more than just a goal scorer, RVN's name is very rarely mentioned because A- not much longevity and B- he was with us during a down period for the club

Ruud was better than Aguero.

Silly folks trotting out warped stats in here too.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

I remember the debates about who were better between Henry and RVN, at that time they were pegged as very close.

padr81

Supports
Man City

There is no disrespect at all. He was great but Aguero is a different level. Not much longevity is a big thing when considering ones career.

His 02/03 season was incredible 40+ goals in all comps and the season before really good but that aside he was a 2 in 3 kind of striker for his entire career (in the big leagues). You can't discount 3/4 of a career to judge how good a players career was...

charlenefan

I remember the debates about who were better between Henry and RVN, at that time they were pegged as very close.
Indeed they were. I think we can admit not in hindsight and the rose tinted specs off Henry was the better of the two but they were also very different types of players

To say Ruud wasn't in Aguero's league though is massively insulting, Aguero has never got close to Ruud's best season (he's never matched Ruuds first season either)

charlenefan

There is no disrespect at all. He was great but Aguero is a different level. Not much longevity is a big thing when considering ones career.

His 02/03 season was incredible 40+ goals in all comps and the season before really good but that aside he was a 2 in 3 kind of striker for his entire career (in the big leagues). You can't discount 3/4 of a career to judge how good a players career was...
In Ruuds first 3 seasons at the club he registered 36, 44 & 30 goals. Agueros best ever season is 33. Again Aguero has never reached the peak RVN had in the PL

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Ruud was better than Aguero.

Silly folks trotting out warped stats in here too.
Ruud was fantastic. But Aguero for me is the best striker the Premier League has seen. Better than Henry. Henry was more spectacular, but the consistency with which Aguero piles in the goals is something else. And he's done it under different managers too, over quite some period now. Historically, their most important player I would assume.

Contrary to what Raiola said about ruining players, I think Aguero would still score 20+ goals in the league for this United team. He scores all sorts of goals and has outstanding instincts.

Purely on ability if I could choose which one of these players I'd most want for United and they were all 22 or so, Ruud, Shearer, Henry, Aguero, Kane, whoever, I'd always say Aguero. With Rooney, he's more than a #9 (quite possibly Henry too). And I'd take a young Rooney over Aguero any day.

tomaldinho1

peak Henry was faster, more skillful, just as good a finisher...I think people have forgotten how good he was. Aguero makes the top three but Shearer>Henry>Aguero for me.

Honestly, some of the Newcastle teams Shearer played in were dross - it'd be like Aguero spending a decent chunk of his career with West Ham

thepolice123

Kane -117
Auba - 118
Salah - 119
Jesus - 122
RVN - 128
Suarez - 134
RVP - 139
Crespo - 140
Aguero has already cemented himself as a top 3 PL forward. Ruud might not even make top 5 when Kane ends his career at Spurs.

However it highly debatable whether is Aguero the overrall better player. His international and CL record will definitely count against him.

padr81

Supports
Man City
In Ruuds first 3 seasons at the club he registered 36, 44 & 30 goals. Agueros best ever season is 33. Again Aguero has never reached the peak RVN had in the PL
Again a peak is not a career and Aguero has never played those sort of minutes, its there in black and white. No ones shitting on RVN he was great, but there is a reason he's never involved in the debate anywhere and barely involved on a United forum.. its always Shearer, Henry, Aguero for best premier league striker and the later 2 for best foreigner. You can't punish the others because RVN dropped off when he should have been peaking...

Like I said I'm not shitting on the dude, I remember being blown away at how good he was. Lethal but he didn't do it for long enough to be in the discussion, which is why he never is.

KennyBurner

Only reason Id say Henry is because Aguero plays for City. This City team create way too many chances. But like most have said Henry was the more complete forward while aguero the deadlier striker.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
What's often forgotten about RvN though is that he lost a couple of seasons to injury. He was supposed to transfer to youse a lot earlier but sustained a major injury while negotiations were going on. I remember being on the platform at Romford station when I heard news of his injury on Talksport.

If he's been with the Mancs sooner he'd be much higher in stats.