Ashling Murphy murder

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Having only lived in Ireland for approaching a year I've no idea if it's normal procedure, or just because of the high profile nature of this case, but I was shocked to see the news footage showing extended scenes of witnesses, arresting officers and even the remote language interpreter the Garda used at the time outside of the courthouse.

Is this how the media in Ireland cover trials generally - I saw another case, where there was an extended clip of the female judge arriving at court and she was shown leaving her car in her normal clothing. In the UK the convention would be to only show a judge in their "robes and wig" - the purpose of which is to make them less recognisable.

Given the far right's interest in this case is it a good idea to show witnesses in such a way?
I actually don't know how normal this is. I stopped watching the news on TV a good while ago. What you describe does seem mad though.

Brophs

The One and Only
Just been reading some reporting from the case in court. Very unusual to see someone so obviously guilty, with overwhelming evidence that they’re guilty (including a confession!) yet still pleading not guilty. Would love to know what their legal team’s thinking is here. The case for the defence is absolutely hopeless.
Their thinking is that their client has instructed them to run a full defence, contrary, I presume, to their advices. They don’t have the luxury of winking at the judge and saying “This fella is a cod”.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Their thinking is that their client has instructed them to run a full defence, contrary, I presume to their advices. They don’t have the luxury or winking at the judge and saying “This fella is a cod”.
Ah, ok. That must be a bit grim for them. Rocking up every day and trying to stand behind a risible case, on behalf of an absolute scumbag. The temptation to do the wink and a nod must be enormous!

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Guilty - in the least surprising outcome of the year.

Feel for the family having to sit through the details through the trial, and probably never finding out why their daughter was murdered.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Will a life sentence mean life? He's still young-ish at 33. It wouldn't be right if he only served 15-20 years and is out at 50-ish to enjoy the rest of his life.

Oscar Bonavena

Will a life sentence mean life? He's still young-ish at 33. It wouldn't be right if he only served 15-20 years and is out at 50-ish to enjoy the rest of his life.
Googled this

In deciding on the release from prison of a prisoner sentenced to life imprisonment, the Minister will always consider the advice and recommendations of the Parole Board of Ireland: the Board, as of 2021, will normally review prisoners sentenced to life imprisonment after 12 years have been served (previously seven). However, the sentencing judge can order that the prisoner is to serve a longer period (up to a maximum of 30 years) or order that the prisoner is never to be considered for parole. If parole is not considered, the prisoner will spend the rest of his or her life in prison.

Withnail

We used to be very bad at this and would let serial killers out on temporary release, some of whom killed again during that time.

Things have tightened up especially in relation to perpetrators of random killings like this. I'd say he's unlikely to get out, especially seeing as he didn't admit it and clearly has no remorse at all.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Brian Meehan, the only one convicted for the Veronica Guerin murder, is still locked up after 23 years but has apparently begun getting supervised day releases in anticipation of his full release. Don’t think 23 years will cut it here.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Weird that no motive seems to be known. You don't just wake up one morning and think "I know. Why not go cycling with a big knife and murder someone for the lols?". The police didn't seem to think it was sexual in nature but he did only follow women.

Kinky Melinky

Weird that no motive seems to be known. You don't just wake up one morning and think "I know. Why not go cycling with a big knife and murder someone for the lols?". The police didn't seem to think it was sexual in nature but he did only follow women.
Yeah was chatting to the missus about this yesterday. It was likely an urge he managed to keep down for years on end. Five children, family man, no previous convictions bar a juvenile charge for having consensual sex with another juvenile. I guess some people live with their warped fantasies for years until it all becomes too much to control.