Ashling Murphy murder

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
New suspect identified and is currently in hospital and under Garda surveillance

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Gotta be a BF or something. Hopefully anyway. Not sure if that's a horrible thing to say or not. Poor poor woman.

Withnail

I seen a few things about the girl that got the beating and a few thousand raised on her just giving page, but yeah this case seems to have rocked the nation.

There was another girl stabbed in the attack two weeks ago as well just trying to help..
I missed that one at the time. It is horrific. A group of armed lads severely beating a girl who'll likely lose her eye and yeah a friend (male, according to the papers) was stabbed multiple times when trying to protect her.

Deery

Dreary
I missed that one at the time. It is horrific. A group of armed lads severely beating a girl who'll likely lose her eye and yeah a friend (male, according to the papers) was stabbed multiple times when trying to protect her.
Saying now it was a male nearly sure I read female last week.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Fair enough. I didn't actually mean that to read as confrontational as it looked.

I just meant to show that we all have a part to play in how our media selects what stories to receive mass attention. There will always be more noise on twitter regarding the biggest stories of the day - I'm not sure its fair to suggest there might be less if the girl involved was mixed-race. Not when we all contribute to the fact that that story wasn't the top item on the 6.1 bill for those twitter users to gnash their teeth over in the first place.
Yeah, I should to climb off my high horse on this one. There’s definitely something a bit off the way some horrific personal tragedies seem to get dismissed more easily than others but not sure that the whataboutery I went for is helpful. To be honest, I was probably just looking for an argument!

Deery

Dreary
Saying he’s under ‘discreet surveillance’ whatever that means, maybe he’s in a bad way?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
New suspect identified and is currently in hospital and under Garda surveillance
There you go. CCTV is absolutely everywhere now including passing vehicles. Anyone who’d do something like this in a city or town is either premeditated (first place the police look) or totally mental and clearly not smart enough to be covering their tracks (easy to catch by cctv given the location)

The only real possible serial case in Ireland is the missing girls from the 90s. That will probably never be solved. there was also a lad based in Northern Ireland and London who was close to a few girls who went missing/were found murdered. He was charged with the death of one victim in Ireland posthumously and one in London while he was still alive.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
There you go. CCTV is absolutely everywhere now including passing vehicles. Anyone who’d do something like this in a city or town is either premeditated (first place the police look) or totally mental and clearly not smart enough to be covering their tracks (easy to catch by cctv given the location)

The only real possible serial case in Ireland is the missing girls from the 90s. That will probably never be solved. there was also a lad based in Northern Ireland and London who was close to a few girls who went missing/were found murdered. He was charged with the death of one victim in Ireland posthumously and one in London while he was still alive.
I don’t know anything about the case but apparently the path beside the canal she was jogging on is called “Fiona’s Way” after a young pregnant woman who disappeared a while ago and was never found. Cruel irony.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I don’t know anything about the case but apparently the path beside the canal she was jogging on is called “Fiona’s Way” after a young pregnant woman who disappeared a while ago and was never found. Cruel irony.
No way? Feck sake. I never heard about that. Another major thing these days is suicide. If people just go missing without a trace there’s always the theory they’ve possibly hurt themselves. I think Ireland is too small and interconnected for a serial but I could be wrong of course. This is that case. There is a podcast called mens rea that did a double episode on his crimes if you want to hear more about it.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crimes-of-irish-born-serial-sex-offender-are-revealed-1.1182597

Deery

Dreary
Just read a tweet from one of her friends that said her New Years Resolution was to take up jogging, isn’t that awful sad..

Withnail

No way? Feck sake. I never heard about that. Another major thing these days is suicide. If people just go missing without a trace there’s always the theory they’ve possibly hurt themselves. I think Ireland is too small and interconnected for a serial but I could be wrong of course. This is that case. There is a podcast called mens rea that did a double episode on his crimes if you want to hear more about it.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crimes-of-irish-born-serial-sex-offender-are-revealed-1.1182597
Well Fiona Pender disappeared 25 years ago so it's not recent at all.

Saying he’s under ‘discreet surveillance’ whatever that means, maybe he’s in a bad way?
Yeah between that and the fact that they haven't been able to speak to him yet seems to suggests that.

Withnail

Renaming of the path was fairly recent, 2017. Brutal for Fiona Pender’s family for this to happen where it happened.
Ahh I see what you meant. Yeah, it's fairly grim all round but that just adds to it. The lack of closure with someone who's never found must be absolutely soul-destroying.

arnie_ni

Aye he's suspenscted of murdering the girl from Castlederg who's body hasn't been found.

Just be close to 30 years ago. I know relations

cyberman

Up here in Donegal there’s a forestry near the Derry border that’s a massive suicide hotspot. it’s never reported on as to not publicise it and I wonder how many spots like these are around the country that people vanish into and don’t have the foot traffic around for them to be found.
The amount of times I’ve driven down beside forest late at night and there’s a random car parked out of the way.

Brophs

The One and Only
Oddly enough, one of the lads in our 7 a side group is a detective and in WhatsApp last night a few fellas were chatting about it during the 9 o’clock news and he responded with something like “No way that’s random. It’ll be someone local and known to her or someone who’s very mentally unwell” which chimed with what I sort of assumed when I heard about it first, at least the person known to her.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
I attended the vigil at her school this evening and it was the saddest but most heart warming experience of my life. I’m not in in any way religious, but I don’t think I’ll ever forget her 1st class pupils clapping up to the sky to thank her in heaven for being a great teacher.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Don’t think I’ve ever been moved by something I read on here as much as the thought of those wee kids clapping.
This has really hit the country hard. I don’t recall anything quite like it previously

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Anyone else find it odd that every single person on liberal Irish twitter wants to share an opinion on male violence this week (and the media in general is absolutely dominated by the topic) when only a very tiny proportion spoke up after a mixed race teenage girl could have been killled (ended up blinded in one eye) following a savage beating at the hands of two men over two weeks ago?
Good point PM

Withnail

I attended the vigil at her school this evening and it was the saddest but most heart warming experience of my life. I’m not in in any way religious, but I don’t think I’ll ever forget her 1st class pupils clapping up to the sky to thank her in heaven for being a great teacher.
That brought a tear to my eye. :(

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Ah here :(

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
This has really hit the country hard. I don’t recall anything quite like it previously
Savita Halapannavar is one that springs to mind, but obviously for very different reasons and for the shameless history it represented of the nation.

Ana Kriegal too. Another brutal one. Justice was really brought there so hopefully it is here too.

I’m sure there are more but the internet makes things explode far more these days.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Is he the same man that was suspected of killing the girl Arlene Arkinson?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I read somewhere that where the teacher was killed, the pathway is named after some other girl who went missing years ago. Dunno if true

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
I read somewhere that where the teacher was killed, the pathway is named after some other girl who went missing years ago. Dunno if true
Fiona Pender. She’s been missing since 1996 and was from a couple of hundred yards from this walkway. It’s named Fiona’s Way

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Don’t think I’ve ever been moved by something I read on here as much as the thought of those wee kids clapping.
It’ll never leave me. Hit me a few times today and you feel silly, just getting emotional at random times of the day. Her family came too and I genuinely don’t know how they have the strength.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Rumours circling now. I've heard that his brother, a taxi driver in Dublin, went and got him and brought him to Tallaght hospital where he was identified. Was sent a picture of him as well, I think its set to hit the news tomorrow but who knows.

If the above is true, then surely his brother needs to be sent down as well?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Meanwhile this kinda shite going on, honest to god.