Ajax | Champions League semi-finalists

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
They'll do the standard Ajax thing. Sell their top prospects, recruit more youth and develop them exceptionally, and continue to dominate the Dutch league.
Can’t really say “continue to dominate the Dutch league” when they haven’t won it in 5 years probably 6 after this season. But ya I get what you mean in general.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Can’t really say “continue to dominate the Dutch league” when they haven’t won it in 5 years probably 6 after this season. But ya I get what you mean in general.
feck me I stand corrected. I only watch Ajax in the UCL so I just assumed they were still successful domestically. Either way the point being they will always be a club that is successful while fielding incredibly talented youngsters.

Mrdan1709

Ajax is being a little overrated on here now. Many teams have beat madrid this season, and at the time of the season which they beat bayern munich many teams were also doing the same to them. No way they can beat barcelona/city/liverpool/psg...just my opinion though as i believe those teams have too much quality

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Don't want to correct the master, because he knew a lot about football. The business side wasn't his best quality tbh.

Seriously, there's no way Ajax could have become as big as Barca.
Indeed.

Cruyff also said: I've never seen a bag of money score a goal.

Neither have I, but trade the bag for Ronaldo and he might bag you one here or there

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Indeed.

Cruyff also said: I've never seen a bag of money score a goal.

Neither have I, but trade the bag for Ronaldo and he might bag you one here or there
:eek: When did he say that? His main reason for his bitter war against Núñez was that he accused him of being cheap and conservative ('94 and '95 summer windows) -> "El dinero en el campo, no en el banco" (money on the pitch , not in the bank).

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
:eek: When did he say that? His main reason for his bitter war against Núñez was that he accused him of being cheap and conservative ('94 and '95 summer windows) -> "El dinero en el campo, no en el banco" (money on the pitch , not in the bank).
September 11, 2013.

(I googled that)

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
feck me I stand corrected. I only watch Ajax in the UCL so I just assumed they were still successful domestically. Either way the point being they will always be a club that is successful while fielding incredibly talented youngsters.
Ahah I still understood the point you were getting at and think they will win the league title again very soon.

Bokito

Would be surprised if they won their quarter final though (unless they draw Porto/Roma). Usually a team that lacks experience on big stage usually has a dip after a major win so I'd back Spurs, Man. City, PSG and Atletico Madrid to beat them. (Think they could give Barca and Munich/Liverpool good games).
I wouldn’t necessary consider Ajax a team that lacks experience on the big stage. 9 Players they had on the pitch also played in the Euro League final against Man Utd.
Anyway: I’d consider Atletico the worst possible draw. Ajax is better against teams that give them room to play, instead of teams that play a more fighting football. Because of that, I’d actually wouldn’t fancy them against Porto - plus that’d probably be the only pairing in which they wouldn’t be the underdog per se. Teams like Tottenham would suit them better, I’d reckon.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
2 years? 6 months more like. like the Monaco 16/17 team.
Nah, a couple of big names will go this and next season but I don't see it happening as quickly as Monaco. They seem pretty solid as a club and plenty of the players will show some loyalty to the club that's made them.

Still a shame when it does happen though. I like to see 'proper' clubs succeed.

Suedesi

If they beat Psv on march 31 they will probably win the link this year.
Well they did, with 10 men. Absolute nightmare for Daniel Schwaab to concede an own goal and then concede a penalty with Neres going nowhere.

Also Bergwijn pulled a Sissoko - expected him to at least hit the target when through on goal!

Supports
Ajax
Well they did, with 10 men. Absolute nightmare for Daniel Schwaab to concede an own goal and then concede a penalty with Neres going nowhere.

Also Bergwijn pulled a Sissoko - expected him to at least hit the target when through on goal!
The 3-1 win was very unexpected to me after that red card. Thanks to a huge extent to Schwaab.

No contest that Mazraoui red card was justified though. He just didn’t look or care at all where his raised leg was going.

Onana made another typical bad call to leave the goalline for no reason, allowing the 1-1. After that, I felt PSV were both unlucky with ref decisions (poor off-side call in particular where two PSV players would have been up vs 1 defender) and Luuk de Jong might have deserved a penalty at one point due to him being pushed on the shoulder before losing balance. Then again, he dove a bit quick there.

Bergwijn should have passed the ball to the right, or target the far corner at least. You’re right that his attempt was just awful and rushed for no reason.

Van Bommel traditionally wronged and upset post-match of course... Gave no credit to Ajax whatsoever.

Either way, if PSV is to lose points and lose the championship, I would expect it in the very last game away against AZ. Maybe a draw at Vitesse, but I doubt it. Rest of the matches are “easy” and Ajax has the Juve games and cup final in between, so they will be relatively tired.

Reactions: Invictus

Sjaakmeoff

The 3-1 win was very unexpected to me after that red card. Thanks to a huge extent to Schwaab.

No contest that Mazraoui red card was justified though. He just didn’t look or care at all where his raised leg was going.

Onana made another typical bad call to leave the goalline for no reason, allowing the 1-1. After that, I felt PSV were both unlucky with ref decisions (poor off-side call in particular where two PSV players would have been up vs 1 defender) and Luuk de Jong might have deserved a penalty at one point due to him being pushed on the shoulder before losing balance. Then again, he dove a bit quick there.

Bergwijn should have passed the ball to the right, or target the far corner at least. You’re right that his attempt was just awful and rushed for no reason.

Van Bommel traditionally wronged and upset post-match of course... Gave no credit to Ajax whatsoever.

Either way, if PSV is to lose points and lose the championship, I would expect it in the very last game away against AZ. Maybe a draw at Vitesse, but I doubt it. Rest of the matches are “easy” and Ajax has the Juve games and cup final in between, so they will be relatively tired.
Willem II away. Sounds crazy, but can be tough

Supports
Ajax
Willem II away. Sounds crazy, but can be tough
Willem II has a pretty decent season. Their best recent result was clearly the 2-3 win over Feyenoord and they did manage to reach the cup finals (rather lucky on the draws with only two Eredivisie teams in Twente and AZ who they barely beat), so yeah, it's not impossible.

Still, I don't think Willem II is in great form given this weekend's results against Fortuna though. A meager 3-2 win against a team down a man since the first half, with Fortuna taking the lead twice... Here's hoping they get extra motivated for the derby. ;)

Another contender for potential point squandering is the match against Heracles actually. They're doing a pretty good second season half at the moment.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Amazing what they've done so far, I'm rooting for them to go all the way but I hope it won't be an easy semi for City or an easy final for Liverpool.

stepic

What is depressing about modern football is that their best players will be picked off just like Monaco.

Bring in a European salary cap. Sick of big clubs poaching players, ourselves included.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
What is depressing about modern football is that their best players will be picked off just like Monaco.

Bring in a European salary cap. Sick of big clubs poaching players, ourselves included.
They poach a lot of players from smaller Dutch clubs, Scandinavian clubs and Eastern European clubs

HTG

Supports
Bayern
They are what I want Bayern to be. What a team, what a style. Beautiful.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
A superb example of a team coached in a way that every player knows what he is supposed to do during every phase of the game (attacking,transition, counter, possession, defending, pressing)

BaseFishing

This is literally life, it's not modern football. As something grows, whether entertainment or a business or a country's economy, this is what happens. As someone else pointed out - Ajax themselves poach a lot of players from smaller clubs in the region. Circle of life.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
The irony in us beating them in the Europa League final to where we are now is pretty sickening. Get Edwin and Overmars in this summer please.

Eddy_JukeZ

A superb example of a team coached in a way that every player knows what he is supposed to do during every phase of the game (attacking,transition, counter, possession, defending, pressing)
It's depressing at this point.

I don't know why people keep downplaying the effect a manager has on a team.

Sure they have good players, but their entire team is performing to the max because of a clear and concise plan on the field in every single aspect.

I long for the days when we have a manager who maximizes our team like Fergie used to.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
This is literally life, it's not modern football. As something grows, whether entertainment or a business or a country's economy, this is what happens. As someone else pointed out - Ajax themselves poach a lot of players from smaller clubs in the region. Circle of life.
It doesn't have to be. There are many sport leagues where the concept of "it's literally life" isn't taken as fact.

legolegs

duploarms
Supports
Ajax
Not too sure about Tadic. He's been saying the "no one knows what the future holds" line lately
We don't actually need to sell a single player so if we sell more than say 4 I'd be really disappointed..

But then again I won't even care about next season if we actually win the CL now ffs

MrTon

Wonder how many starters will still play at Ajax next season?
De Jong, De Ligt, Tagliafico will leave for sure. Hopefully they can convince the rest to stay, which is a realistic case (maybe Ziyech or Neres leaves as well).

Remember that they declined 50mil for Neres in winter

Anyway, need to look forward to Groningen away now, crucial game for the championship