Ajax - Golden Generation

wythyred

I was in Amsterdam at the weekend and watched the Ajax vs VVV match.

The average age of their team was 22 and even though De Jong and De light get all the plaudits - I was seriously impressed with their fullback Kristensen & Ziyech who I know has a lot of fans on here was immense.

However Dolberg who was highly rated in 2017 and I read went of the boil slightly last year was for me the best player on the pitch.

Some of the potential in that team is frightening is their any Ajax fans on here that can shine a light on their potential?

Schneckerl

This thread would look different if you would have gone to the Ajax game a week ago.

SoCross

Is this about Van Gaal’s Ajax then?

Sorry couldn’t resist. It’s an interesting side filled with talent. But will be pulled apart soon enough; De Jong’s the start.

Member 93275

They move on when they get too good and consistent for the Eredivisie and Ajax paychecks. It will only be a golden generation in the sense that in a couple of years people can look at players who used to play at Ajax, and say "that would be quite a team if they stayed at Ajax".

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Kristensen is shite, Ziyech is a cnut and Dolberg is a fraud. Next year De Ligt, De Jong, Ziyech and Onana wil leave and they'l finish mid-table. Take it Ajaxers!

Also, you should've gone to Ajax: match the week before ;)

Member 93275

Kristensen is a star, man. Special deal for United, only 40m. I'll deliver him in gift paper myself.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Litmanen vs PSV is still one of the most unique goals I've ever seen at a high level. A proper functional no look goal, opposed to the pointless showboating shite a guy like Firmino serves up. My personal guess is that it can be traced back to the fact that Jari played a lot of ice hockey as a kid back in Finland. Now that man was a proper genius, and a humble and intelligent person as well. It's such a shame he was made out of glass, although in the end he has still excelled at the highest level and won pretty much everything with Ajax.

Or at 2:35 in this video to see it in slightly better quality

Current batch of Ajax talents isn't even better than the '03 Chivu, Maxwell, Sneijder, Vd Vaart, De Jong Zlatan generation.

Last edited:

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Might not be as good as when Ajax had Suarez, Vertonghen, Alderweireld and Eriksen at the club at the same time.
Yep, that was a good one as well. Current generation is very enjoyable too though and it'll be very interesting to see how their careers progress (might've sounded a bit negative, which isn't really what I meant).

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Yep, that was a good one as well. Current generation is very enjoyable too though and it'll be very interesting to see how their careers progress (might've sounded a bit negative, which isn't really what I meant).
And since Ajax's academy is producing gems again and the fact that Ajax might have the best youth scouting network around will tend to have a chance to have generations like this.

Loublaze

ATLien
Van Gaal's Ajax is the true golden generation. These kids have to win something bigger than the Dutch league

Eila

They haven't won the league since 2014, right? 2015-16 PSV, 17 Feyenoord (lol), 18 PSV again.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
And they’re top of the league?

NoLogo

Thought this was about van Gaal’s Ajax :drool:
They certainly were a true golden generation. Absolutely amazing set of players in the team in the mid 90s. Kluivert, Litmanen, Overmas, the de Boer brothers just to name a few. Absolutely amazing team of youngsters.

Edit: feck totally forgot they even had Seedorf and Rijkaard in that squad and most of them came through their own youth system. Crazy squad.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
They’ll play against Liverpool in the semis and be completely shit. You know it and I know it.

Trizy

Cracking attacking football. Great team.

Only thing I can found wrong with them is their selflessness. You need to be confident, hungry and greedy in 1v1 situations some times.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
They’ll play against Liverpool in the semis and be completely shit. You know it and I know it.
That'd be some feat considering we're on different sides of the draw.

LJJT

This being the team we destroyed in the uefa final a couple of years ago. They aren’t particularly good just this years champs league surprise team

Ish

Lights on for Luke
They certainly were a true golden generation. Absolutely amazing set of players in the team in the mid 90s. Kluivert, Litmanen, Overmas, the de Boer brothers just to name a few. Absolutely amazing team of youngsters.

Edit: feck totally forgot they even had Seedorf and Rijkaard in that squad and most of them came through their own youth system. Crazy squad.
Literally won’t see anything like that again. Closest was probably Barca with Valdez, Pique, Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets, Pedro & Messi? Not sure if they all came through the academy though and not sure where Puyol came from either.