Wed, 24 May 2017 @ 7:45pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
    Longest wait ever until Wednesday, but I'm nervous but also extremely excited. IF we lose, I'll be extremely depressed.

Ban

I'm having some problems with my blood pressure and will have to wear holter monitor on Wednesday.
    Can imagine numbers going of the charts at 9 PM. Will need to explain to my doctor why is that.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
    @Maradona10 : I honestly thought Traoré was rubbish for Ajax despite scoring against Lyon twice. Dolberg impressed me a lot, so good already at using his body to protect the ball and linking up.
    Thanks for reading my post i thought it had gone to waste.
    Like i said Dolberg is a star in the making and link up play and finishing is way beyond his years.
    Regards to traore, he is well very Nani like i think, on his day he will be fantastic and when in confidence he is a match winner. Final ball is a problem but he has ability although it is very inconsistent.

Shady

Such a pity Zlatan is not playing. He would absolutely bully their young defenders.

paulscholes18

Romero
    Valencia Smalling Blind Darmian
    Herrera Fellaini Pogba
    Lingard Rashford Mkhitaryan

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
    Ok this is how Ajax will line up.

Younes Kasper Dolberg Bertrand Traoré

Hakim Ziyech Davy Klaassen

Lasse Schöne
    Riedewald De Ligt Davinson Sánchez Veltman

André Onana

• Veltman will be their main weakness, he gets lots of cards and is prone to mistakes. I think jose will target him for sure as he will give away fouls and we can bring Fellaini into play with that.
    • Schone is the experienced head of their midfield. He is 30 and a good footballer but as a cdm he is not a pure one, he is a little iffy defensively and has tendency to lose his man. Hits a mean free kick but that responsibility will be with Hakim
    • Riedewald is a solid defender but he again loses lot of ariel balls, i think we need to use our height to our advantage and if we manage to get past Sanchez in air, we should fancy our chances.
    • Davinson sanchez is a brilliant prospect, very complete player already at 20, i think he has everything except experience in this game
    • De ligt is also a good player but he shines more due to sanchez's brilliance.
    • Hakim ZIyech- Free kick master, do not give fouls away or he will kill us with a free kick. Also a good dribbler,and has a good through ball. Combines well with Dolberg. Cant tackle or defend
    • Klaassen is the player most ready to move to the big three leagues. Finisher(16 goals) and assists(12) doesnt like to defend but mature enough to do it. Very good passer.
    • Younnes is a german in eredivisie and has been called up to national team for confed cup for his great form. Will be the best dribbler in the game by a huge margin,darmian will have his hans full and our left winger will have lot of tracking back to do. Questionable final ball, also cant be bothered with defense(weather those are instructions or his nature). Pace to burn.
    • Traore- Obviously on loan from chelsea,The destroyer of Lyon, pace dribbling and shooting all great, shit at crosses.
    • Dolberg- The star in the making, has everything bar experience. Links up play fantastically. Love to have him at united. Natural finisher, if our players had his finishing, we would be close to second.
    Usual plan- Make the pitch compact, high press and gamble on winning the ball and then simply overload the opponent. Midfield runners galore. Possession hogging and recycling with a lot of through passes.

How i would beat them- Be aggressive Physically, use that to our advantage. Target Veltman and riedewald. Deep defensive line so as to make sure they dont have enough space to get in behind.
    Ask fellaini to make late runs and try to find him. Ask pogba to not try and dribble too much in the middle and look for ball over the top for rashford. Ask lingard(lol) and mkhi to take on the full back as they will make mistakes. Ask valencia to attack at every opportunity as younnes wont want to defend and is liable to mistake. Do not give freekicks away 30 meters from goal. And as bad as it sounds, try to go Route1 as on the ground they will have a good chance. Not saying we cant beat them on the ground, i think they will be more comfortable there, ball in the air will be problematic. Also exploit gaps as their defenders like to play and leave loads of gaps behind.
    Great post, very informative to those (like me) who don't know too much about Ajax and how good they are.

Wayne's World

Our biggest game since the Champions League final in 2011 and for the future of the club long-term....I'm glad I booked it off work because I honestly won't be able to think of nothing else until 19:45 on Wednesday.

I can't make a prediction but from what I have seen of Ajax this season, they can be bullied physically and can give opportunities at the back. The question is the same question we haven't answered all season...are we clinical enough to finish them off?

I feel sick already thinking about this match

RedNed77

I'd take a scabby undeserved 1-0 right now if you offered it to me.

peridigm

It's been a long time since we've been involved in a match a meaningful as this match has become due to whats at stake. FA Cup aside, it's our first "legit" final since the CL final in 2011. I'm no more confident for this match than I was for that 2011 final and Ajax are hardly Barcelona.

I think we'll see

Romero
    Herrera Fellaini Pogba
    Mata Rashford Mhkitaryan

Subs: DDG, Rooney, Carrick, Martial, Lingard, Jones, Tuanzebe

King Kendrick

Random q:

Had Ajax won the eredivisie and beaten us in the EL final, and real/juve won the UCL, how would that work in terms of champions league qualification from the EL?

tekkers3

I am worried that some of the players that are well rested, may not have that full match fitness and momentum for the game. Valencia, Pogba, Mhkitaryan will be alright, but Blind, Herrera, Fellaini, Rashford, and Mata may need the first quarter of the game to get going. I hope that doesnt cost us.

I think it will be 1-1, go to extra time, where a Fellaini header will win it. It will be tough

Zii

Whatever the team Jose picks I just hope people get behind them. Let's not bash team selections, just get behind them.

R300k

T A
    I am worried that some of the players that are well rested, may not have that full match fitness and momentum for the game. Valencia, Pogba, Mhkitaryan will be alright, but Blind, Herrera, Fellaini, Rashford, and Mata may need the first quarter of the game to get going. I hope that doesnt cost us.

I think it will be 1-1, go to extra time, where a Fellaini header will win it. It will be tough
    Actually i hope not then the game should be ended in the first 90 minutes. The only 2 matches Mou lost (/14 finals) is also the ones that Mou-teams had to go to AET times. Plus Mou-teams's penalty record is simply bad (lost 6/7 penalty throughout his career). So this crucial game should never be anywhere out of the first 90 minutes.

Anw i have faith in Jose also believe he still have his victory instinct, my prediction is 2-1 just like you but i think United will score the first two goals. Come on Jose

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
    I say we play tactical mind games.

Put Ibra on the team sheet, then sub him just before kick off - get them rattled, not knowing our next move.

Naturally the next move will be to remove Romero from goals, have him visibly switch shirts with Fellaini and have Romero as CDM. The next time the ball goes out (it won't go in due to Fellaini's hair) switch them back.

Next, we organise Giggs, Cantona, Beckham and George Best to all warm up clearly at the side to put them off.

By the time they know what's going on, it'll be 3-0 and the jobs a good 'un.

Mr Smith

Ok this is how Ajax will line up.

Younes Kasper Dolberg Bertrand Traoré

Hakim Ziyech Davy Klaassen

Lasse Schöne
    Riedewald De Ligt Davinson Sánchez Veltman

André Onana

• Veltman will be their main weakness, he gets lots of cards and is prone to mistakes. I think jose will target him for sure as he will give away fouls and we can bring Fellaini into play with that.
    • Schone is the experienced head of their midfield. He is 30 and a good footballer but as a cdm he is not a pure one, he is a little iffy defensively and has tendency to lose his man. Hits a mean free kick but that responsibility will be with Hakim
    • Riedewald is a solid defender but he again loses lot of ariel balls, i think we need to use our height to our advantage and if we manage to get past Sanchez in air, we should fancy our chances.
    • Davinson sanchez is a brilliant prospect, very complete player already at 20, i think he has everything except experience in this game
    • De ligt is also a good player but he shines more due to sanchez's brilliance.
    • Hakim ZIyech- Free kick master, do not give fouls away or he will kill us with a free kick. Also a good dribbler,and has a good through ball. Combines well with Dolberg. Cant tackle or defend
    • Klaassen is the player most ready to move to the big three leagues. Finisher(16 goals) and assists(12) doesnt like to defend but mature enough to do it. Very good passer.
    • Younnes is a german in eredivisie and has been called up to national team for confed cup for his great form. Will be the best dribbler in the game by a huge margin,darmian will have his hans full and our left winger will have lot of tracking back to do. Questionable final ball, also cant be bothered with defense(weather those are instructions or his nature). Pace to burn.
    • Traore- Obviously on loan from chelsea,The destroyer of Lyon, pace dribbling and shooting all great, shit at crosses.
    • Dolberg- The star in the making, has everything bar experience. Links up play fantastically. Love to have him at united. Natural finisher, if our players had his finishing, we would be close to second.
    Usual plan- Make the pitch compact, high press and gamble on winning the ball and then simply overload the opponent. Midfield runners galore. Possession hogging and recycling with a lot of through passes.

How i would beat them- Be aggressive Physically, use that to our advantage. Target Veltman and riedewald. Deep defensive line so as to make sure they dont have enough space to get in behind.
    Ask fellaini to make late runs and try to find him. Ask pogba to not try and dribble too much in the middle and look for ball over the top for rashford. Ask lingard(lol) and mkhi to take on the full back as they will make mistakes. Ask valencia to attack at every opportunity as younnes wont want to defend and is liable to mistake. Do not give freekicks away 30 meters from goal. And as bad as it sounds, try to go Route1 as on the ground they will have a good chance. Not saying we cant beat them on the ground, i think they will be more comfortable there, ball in the air will be problematic. Also exploit gaps as their defenders like to play and leave loads of gaps behind.
    Thanks for the post, all great information. Based on what you've said, I actually think we might just get Martial starting after all, especially if their fullbacks are suspect. For all that everyone thinks Lingard will always start the big games, Jose is ultimately the pragmatist, and if he thinks he has a specific player who can expose a weakness in the opposition, he'll use them. That said, I'd be OK with Lingard starting.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
    Thanks for the post, all great information. Based on what you've said, I actually think we might just get Martial starting after all, especially if their fullbacks are suspect. For all that everyone thinks Lingard will always start the big games, Jose is ultimately the pragmatist, and if he thinks he has a specific player who can expose a weakness in the opposition, he'll use them. That said, I'd be OK with Lingard starting.
    The weakness is not pace, i think playing Martial is counter productive as he will not be beating his man with pace, the weakness is positioning, concentration, the inability to see the man who has gone on a run from behind the full back or inside the fullback. I would play mata if he is in better form.

The best solution will be to play wingers who can cross and run behind, example Lingard on right, mata on left. Good crossing and ability to run in behind the fullback is very important for the game.
    My plan would be to use pogba/herrera's through ball ability and put ball over top or inside full back for wingers and rashford to run onto. They will play a higher line and make pitch compact so their will be likely huge spaces in behind.

Whiteside1985

Any Caf readers lucky enough to be going to Stockholm for the final?

I'm there in spirit, believe me. In the excited/nervous phase. It really is sh!t or bust with this game. Sadly, when watching in NZ, kick off is 0645, so no beers to calm the nerves for me.......

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
    Team for me.

..........................Romero.........................
    Valencia......Jones.....Blind......Darmian
    ...............Fellaini.....Herrera..................
    ...........................Pogba.....................
    .....Lingard...... Rashford........Mhki...

I think the above is likely, but I would consider swapping Fellaini for Carrick.

Mhki vs Martial is a dice roll, but against Ajax the speed of Mhki could be killer.

Lingard vs Mata is also a debate, but if Lingard and Rashford can team together and Lingard produces his usual final performance we could have a great result.

Marcelinho87

I wouldn't play Carrick. This is a fast energetic Ajax team and he will struggle against that, plus his form has been poor for a couple of months now.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
    We need legs, movement and pace.

My concern is Fellaini against good technical players. He's not been that bad in the grand scheme of things, but I think he'll have a hard time keeping up with the way they play.

Rashford, Pogba, Herrera, Valencia are the key. We're getting very little from Lingard, Martial and Mkhitaryan at the moment so hopefully with those four they can win the game.

Think we'll be overly cautious and can see it going to ET. We'll approach much of the game with a 'let's not lose' mentality rather than 'let's go out there and blow them away'.

Solver

Romero

Herrera
    Fellaini Pogba
    Mkhitaryan Rashford Lingard​

Jones instead of Smalling and Carrick instead of Fellaini the only alternatives if the former aren't fit.
    like the others, I think this will be the team and it looks good. Shame about Zlatan- would have liked him to be there

gica_7

I am excited for this one. It doesn't feel as exciting as 2009 of course but this is the most important match ever since SAF left. This is the ticket for getting back to our old days. A lot of thing depend on the outcome of this one. Even playing against Juve or Real in Super Cup makes me hyped.

Just go out and get it done lads.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
    So excited/terrified for this. This is the biggest game in ages, the entire season hang on it and could make a massive difference to players we get in and how we do next season.

We've been so unpredictable lately I don't even know what I think it going to happen, how we'll line up, how we'll play etc. I know we've been hard to beat for some time, but that's in games where draws are allowed...

I think it'll be a full match. Jose will do what he always does in these sort of games, just make sure we don't lose and try and nick one on the counter. Problem is we've shown time and time again that when we do this our defence isn't up to taking the pressure and our attackers aren't up to getting a goal with only a few chances, So I'm pretty worried about going down that route. Going head to head with then seems equally risky depending who's on form on the day.

It also worries me about motivation. We have a team full of players who probably think they're either leaving or getting replaced next season, so are they going to give it their all? Any footballer who deserves to be playing at all wants to win any trophy they can, so this shouldn't be an issue. But when you know you're just going to be cast aside regardless, does that effect your mental state?

I'm going to be watching the whole lot from between my fingers I can see.

Heista

Supports
    Ajax
    You can guys can look at Ajax style a little bit alike of Barcelona, but just with their B-team.
    Passing game, starting from the back. Fluid in attack, quick passes.

Leftback - Riedewald or Sinkgraven, Sinkgraven was out with injury and is a made leftback, as he is a LM. Riedewald is makeshift LB as he is a LCB. Both young. Sinkgraven has been our first option for LB.
    LCB - De Ligt, 17 years of age, can be naive cause he is young, was a bit unlucky to concede penalty. Is not very fast on first meters. Will go into midfield like Vertonghen.
    RCB - Sanchez, our Colombian rock at the back. Bit like Bailly. Agressive, athletic, aerial threat. Not the best of passer, but like Bailly.
    RB - Veltman, who gets easy cards, was substituted today to net get a red card. Otherwise Tete will play, who is fast and is a very good tackler.

CDM - Schone, has a wonderful freekick, able to score from 30 meters. Not a standard CDM as he is more creative and thinks more forward. Can be a bit nonchalant.
    LCM - Ziyech, has a great free kick. Is very good a tthrough passes. If he is in his element, than he is a joy to watch.
    RCM - Klaassen, our captain, engine and leader of the squad. Work his ass off. Will arrive in the box alot. Has a good finishing shot and eye for where to be.

LW - Younes, tricky little fellow. Will cut inside alot. Tracking back not his strong points and can get stuck in dribbling. But a threat constantly nonetheless.
    ST - Dolberg, a bit Zlatan junior and already known here on the caf. Has a menacing shot. Can hold up play and is tricky. Young lad.
    RW - Traore, bit hit and miss on RW. Pacey, nonchalant. Weak shot. Good at aerial duels. Tricky, but in a bad game he makes wrong choices alot.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
    Would prefer only one of Mkhi and Lingard to start. We seem to look a bit hopeless when both start. Both seem to try and do the same thing and occupy the same spaces after drifting in. Would like a front 3 of Mkhi, Rashford and Martial, or Mata, Rashford, Lingard. Preferably the former.

Alabaster Codify7

--------------Romero----------------
    Valencia--Jones----Blind-----Darmian
    -----------Herrera---Fellaini--------
    Mkihtaryan----Pogba-------Lingard
    -------------Rashford---------------

SUBS - Martial (Lingard), Mata (Mkhi), Carrick (Fellaini)

Very worrying game. We've proven time and again this season to be quite fragile mentally and prone to bottling it, and the pressure of this game is enormous.

Ajax 1 - 2 Man United
    Rashford and Mata for us.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

7.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 757 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win