Alan Green BBC Contract Not Renewed

SecondFig

He's a whiny cnut who hates football.

Listen to any of his commentaries and all you hear is him talking about how shit he thinks the game is. He adds nothing to the matches he covers.
100% - He was ok when he started out, but I think his ego got too big, and for the last decade (if not longer) he's spent most of his commentary moaning and whining about being paid a bloody good salary to watch elite football matches. He's a commentator, not a pundit - I couldn't care less whether he's enjoying the game - describe the match to me, leave the opinions to the cocom and pundits back in the studio.

Plus he's made several racist "jokes" over the years, guys a prick and I'm glad he's gone.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Wow. I honestly didn't expect anybody else to like Allen Green. He repeatedly says that he doesn't support Liverpool but I don't believe him.
You are not on your own my friend.
Remember. Lot's of the negative comments here are because of his alleged affinity to Liverpool.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
You are not on your own my friend.
Remember. Lot's of the negative comments here are because of his alleged affinity to Liverpool.
He is one of the very few on the radio who can really bring a game to life.

From now on, I will stop listening to the BBC and instead listen to Talk Sport.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
He is one of the very few on the radio who can really bring a game to life.

From now on, I will stop listening to the BBC and instead listen to Talk Sport.
The game is the game.Bring it to life my ass.He let his own bias and agenda's get the better of him more often than not.In my opinion he was pro-Liverpool & Chelsea and very much anti United. A buffoon.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
The sun does arise,
And make happy the skies.
The merry bells ring
To welcome the Spring.
The sky-lark and thrush,
The birds of the bush,
Sing louder around,
To the bells’ cheerful sound.
While our sports shall be seen
On the Ecchoing Alan Green.

Old Alan Green, with white hair
Does laugh away care,
Sitting under the oak,
Among the old folk,
They laugh at our play,
And soon they all say.
‘Such, such were the joys.
When we all girls & boys,
In our youth-time were seen,
On the Ecchoing Alan Green.

Till the little ones weary
No more can be merry
The sun does descend,
And our sports have an end:
Round the laps of their mothers,
Many sisters and brothers,
Like birds in their nest,
Are ready for rest;
And sport no more seen,
On the darkening Alan Green.

Full bodied red

Never really liked him

Even before I found out that he's a rabid Liverpool fan and sleeps under a Kenny Dalgleish duvet.

Commentators are there to commentate on what's happening - not to give opinions.

Bye-Bye ...Doubt you'll be missed on here and at OT.

Redcy

It wasn’t he was a Liverpool lover as much as he gave no credit to United. I remember listening to a game driving home one night. From his commentary, and lack thereof at times, you would have thought we were dogshit yet watching it later it’s clear we weren’t.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Never really liked him

Even before I found out that he's a rabid Liverpool fan and sleeps under a Kenny Dalgleish duvet.

Commentators are there to commentate on what's happening - not to give opinions.

Bye-Bye ...Doubt you'll be missed on here and at OT.
Commentators are there to commentate and not give opinions....
Bloody hell. How boring is that.

So they are not allowed to say - great goal, or good pass.

You need to understand that football is all about opinions.
And on that basis, I disagree with you.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Commentators are there to commentate and not give opinions....
Bloody hell. How boring is that.

So they are not allowed to say - great goal, or good pass.

You need to understand that football is all about opinions.
And on that basis, I disagree with you.
He's a known ABU, mate.

Do you disagree?

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Never liked him. The main reason was that he never had the balls to admit he was a Liverpool fan. I find that pathetic.

He was so biased, it seeped through his commentary. I remember being convinced he was a Liverpool fan just from the tone of his commentary. And this was years before I found out for sure.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Like better broadcasters (the far more talented Terry Wogan, for example), people like Green eventually get way too comfortable at the BBC, and they're considered by their employer as virtual institutions regardless of their declining abilities and popularity. Green's complacency really showed, hence his endless complaints about everything from the quality of his cup of tea to 'shocking' football matches; he was obviously so comfortable that he felt he could behave as he pleased. I'm not claiming he was terribly behaved, just that listening to him was too often an unpleasant experience because of his moaning.

He should count himself fortunate to have lasted as long as he did - these are times when very few have a job for life (read: until retirement) and when glib 'new broom' management types relish appearing innovative and decisive by throwing veteran employees like Green on the scrapheap just for futile effect. Look how long the Beeb kept on the likes of Motson (almost a standing joke with his predictable, tiresome idiosyncrasies and errors) and Lawrenson (so disinterested in his work that it seemed he couldn't be bothered to dress himself); Green too can have few justifiable complaints over his departure.

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
@Buster15 between you and I(everyone else look away), are you Alan Green? I have never seen anyone that invested in a sports commentator.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
@Buster15 between you and I(everyone else look away), are you Alan Green? I have never seen anyone that invested in a sports commentator.
How did you possibly guess.
I was wondering whether anyone would and you are the first.
I always knew that you were clever.

By the way, did you listen to my commentary of Didier Drogba scoring that penalty.
One of my best moments.
God I hate the BBC.

vidic blood & sand

Alan Green was superb throughout the 80s on Radio 2. Much Much better than Mike Ingham. Then he started getting very opinionated about everything, and you just wanted to smack him.
Lately he sounds like he's trying to talk with a mouthful of wine gums. Cant understand him. Stroke possibly?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
vidic blood & sand said:
Alan Green was superb throughout the 80s on Radio 2. Much Much better than Mike Ingham. Then he started getting very opinionated about everything, and you just wanted to smack him.
Even the famous career of Jimmy Cannon (an often-excellent sports journalist who came up with the fantastic line about black boxing champion Joe Louis: 'He's a credit to his race...the human race') fizzled out into opinions on random subjects like women wearing trousers and annoyance about people using saucers as ashtrays. Tellingly, these opinions - tacked onto his sports columns - were titled 'Nobody Asked Me, But...'; Green too seems to have gone stale and egotistical over time.

Red Panda

I'm genuinely very happy about the topic of this thread. When it came to United his glass was definitely half full and over the years he got worse. I won't miss his whingey whiney depressing voice in the slightest.

Mind you thinking about it he was marginally better than Elidh Barber -her shouty voice on Final Score takes the biscuit.

.Phil1968

"And Keane's got to go for that " was a favourite phrase of his. I used to listen to the radio quite a lot years ago and grew to hate this guy. Obviously a United hater , depressing sounding guy who could suck the joy out of any occasion.
On the last day of the 1995 season we were at West Ham whilst Blackburn were at Anfield and the radio commentary was flicking between the 2 games. As the dippers scored their winner in the last minute, I remember him saying Is that the goal that's won United the title. Thinking we'd got a late winner I celebrated only for the lad at Upton Park to say No it's finished 1-1.
Calling Eric a swarthy character, his love of all things Scouse and his dismissal of everything we achieved, good riddance to the bloke.