Television Alan Partridge returns - New series of This Time begins Friday April 30th, 9:30pm

Oggmonster

It suffered without him having Jennie there to play off.
Yeah agreed, the whole Simon being useless at it was funny at first but went on way to long. Part of the show being good was Jennie and Alans interactions think the Sidekick Simon bits are much better in small doses. They've left it open for a second series I suppose but it hasn't got great viewing figures so not sure if it will happen.

Djemba-Djemba

I've quite liked it overall.

But it would still rank at the bottom of my favourite Alan shows I think. I'd have Knowing me Knowing you, both series of I'm Alan Partridge and both series of Mid Morning Matters ahead of this.

beedoubleyou

I thought it was the strongest, maybe second strongest one.

They were all pretty good.

Obviously it's fun to be a critic n' all, but I imagine most of you would have ripped I'm Alan Partridge to shreds if you'd have had a forum to do so at the time.

Member 39557

I actually laughed out loud a couple of times last night. I thought it was a strong episode, and I'm glad they hinted that he'd fecked his big break up at the end, it wouldn't be Partridge otherwise.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
The relationship with that journalist who hates him is genius. The way she disagrees with everything he says but agrees with everything his co presenter says is really subtle.

Drifter

American
Will it be better than his last outing. Some funny moments, but seemed a bit off.

Loved the first series. The other half, having never watched Alan Partridge before just thought it was a shit current affairs show - which added to it immensely.

Chairman Steve

They gave him a second series you shits!

I still pine for a third series in the I'm Alan Partridge format though. That version of Partridge is the best (first series the absolute best of all Partridge media).

Flying_Heckfish

I still pine for a third series in the I'm Alan Partridge format though. That version of Partridge is the best (first series the absolute best of all Partridge media).
Definitely. The newer stuff that's Coogan-led is fine, but is a self-cliché. Those series are different level. We need all of the old crew involved - Ianucci, Bayhnam, Schneider - to round it out.

acnumber9

The quality of the recent, different Partridge vehicles have varied quite wildly I think. I thought the first series of this was weak but found the recent podcast and books excellent.

smell my cheese. Yes, a proper 3rd series of Alan Partridge would be brilliant. I just wonder what the audience would be - S2 was what 2001?

Chairman Steve

I think the Gibbons brothers know how to write and speak like Partridge, which works well in the book/podcast area... but maybe lack in the TV setting that Iannucci and Baynham will do better in, when theres other characters for Partridge to interact with and situations for Partridge to involved in.

It's weird knowing as well that the three main writers of Coogan, Iannucci and Baynham are all Academy Award nominated for screenwriting on completely separate projects, which goes to show how good 90s/early 00s Partridge was, when you had that level of writing talent.

Gazza

I actually thought This Time was absolutely superb. The reports Partridge does outside of the studio are some of the best Partridge moments, like his feature on corporal punishment.

Balljy

I think the Gibbons brothers know how to write and speak like Partridge, which works well in the book/podcast area... but maybe lack in the TV setting that Iannucci and Baynham will do better in, when theres other characters for Partridge to interact with and situations for Partridge to involved in.

It's weird knowing as well that the three main writers of Coogan, Iannucci and Baynham are all Academy Award nominated for screenwriting on completely separate projects, which goes to show how good 90s/early 00s Partridge was, when you had that level of writing talent.
And they all came from The Day Today with Chris Morris. Pretty much everyone on that show has spread out on their own and got awards for doing it including Steve Coogan.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Highly recommend Alan Partridge's podcast to anyone who hasn't given it a listen. Big fan of it.