Television Alan Partridge returns - New series of This Time begins Friday April 30th, 9:30pm

predator

Youth NITK
That irish alan was actually Coogan in role wasn't it?

Was pretty funny this one. His female co presenter jennie (Susannah fielding) is so gorgeous but shes also very good in this. She doesn't get enough credit.

CallyRed

When he was performing CPR on that doll

Come on Eileen, Come on Eileen

Last edited:

Chairman Steve

I'm wondering whether This Time is one big Partridge homage in some way.

The outset of it is very much Knowing Me Knowing You in the modern times, with the interactions of Simon homaging Mid Morning Matters, the off-air moments with Lynn homaging I'm Alan Partridge and then the news piece videos homaging Scissored Isle/Places of My Life/Anglian Lives/other small AP faux doc pieces.

Also the bit at the end where there's an Alan lookalike to me is a homage to KMKY where he'd have a reoccurring bit where he'd have some other person called Alan Partridge on... there was even an A-ha from the lookalike too. :lol: I get the feeling the Gibbons Bros are the biggest Partridge fans ever.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
That last episode was brilliant. Song at the end :lol:

Also the way he clenched Jennie's hand when he was scared what the racist old lady was gonna say.

Oh and Pete Gabitas' sex doll.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I could never get into the first series because of the laugh track, does this have one as well?
He hasn't used a laugh track on any Partridge project for over 10 years I think (since I'm Alan Partridge 2)...

Mid Morning Matters
Anglian Lives
Mid Morning Matters 2
Welcome To The Places of My Life
Alpha Papa
Scissored Isle

None of which have a laugh track - apologies if I missed anything

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
He hasn't used a laugh track on any Partridge project for over 10 years I think (since I'm Alan Partridge 2)...

Mid Morning Matters
Anglian Lives
Mid Morning Matters 2
Alpha Papa
Scissored Isle

Nice. This brand of comedy and a laugh track just doesn't go to together for me, imagine The Thick of It with a laugh track. Hard to criticize though seeing as it was the style of the time.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location

The outset of it is very much Knowing Me Knowing You in the modern times, with the interactions of Simon homaging Mid Morning Matters, the off-air moments with Lynn homaging I'm Alan Partridge and then the news piece videos homaging Scissored Isle/Places of My Life/Anglian Lives/other small AP faux doc pieces.

Also the bit at the end where there's an Alan lookalike to me is a homage to KMKY where he'd have a reoccurring bit where he'd have some other person called Alan Partridge on... there was even an A-ha from the lookalike too. :lol: I get the feeling the Gibbons Bros are the biggest Partridge fans ever.
Hold on a second, you mean he's playing this Alan Partridge character just like Alan Partridge? What a great idea!

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal

Mid Morning Matters
Anglian Lives
Mid Morning Matters 2
Alpha Papa
Scissored Isle

Yes. I like laugh tracks where appropriate - as if you were in a happy audience - but bugger them if Graham Linehan thinks they're a good idea. He and Morrissey have disappointed me so much. At least this all makes me feel a bit better about finding his commentary tracks depressing.

But, still, Alpha Papa's shite.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.

I agree, see below...

Hold on a second, you mean he's playing this Alan Partridge character just like Alan Partridge? What a great idea!
No, I think the same to be honest, particularly to the referencing of KMKY - even the layout of the set is basically exactly the same (same studio perhaps also?).

The position of the curved sofa, the stairs, the segment where he gets up to go and chat to his 'helper' (Glen Ponder / Sidekick Simon), the Knowing Me 'another Alan Partridge', the topical cultural allusions specific to the actual day and age.

I think there is a purposeful referencing of KMKY.

Yes. I like laugh tracks where appropriate - as if you were in a happy audience - but bugger them if Graham Linehan thinks they're a good idea. He and Morrissey have disappointed me so much. At least this all makes me feel a bit better about finding his commentary tracks depressing.

But, still, Alpha Papa's shite.
I can't stand laugh tracks personally. I think The Office and Peep Show were the ones for me where after watching and falling in Love with them, watching anything with the laugh track just felt so... naive, and almost slightly patronizing.

It can ruin a show for me and I think on dvds of comedies that had laugh tracks, there should now be an option to watch without the laugh track.

I'd love to watch KMKY and especially both series of 'I'm Alan Partridge' without the laugh track.

Chairman Steve

I don’t mind the use of laugh tracks on certain Partridge shows. I’m Alan Partridge is a sitcom and I think it’s placed decently... I’m not old enough to remember the original airing of it over 20 years ago but I can’t imagine there would have been many mainstream comedies that relied on a specific type of humour where cringe and patheticness are the themes. I can possibly see test screenings of it back then without the laugh track and people being confused as to whether to laugh or possibly feel sympathy.

Laugh track works well in KMKY because it’s assumed there’s an actual audience in the studio there akin to a 80s/90s prime time talk show.

Red_Aaron

Absolutely brilliant yesterday.
Too many great bits to mention but I've been spontaneously bursting into laughter all day at the name Henry feckabeggar :lol:

Big Andy

Bloke
It's just so subtle and clever...from Partridges mannerisms and facial tics, to the looks he gets from his co-host...even the way he runs up the stairs in the Sex Doll resuscitation episode creases me...

When I watched it on Monday, and that Feminist mentioned the fuel in the turbo charger, and you saw Alan's face, you just knew he was going to correct her...

PS: You're all a bunch of Rantallions...

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
When I watched it on Monday, and that Feminist mentioned the fuel in the turbo charger, and you saw Alan's face, you just knew he was going to correct her...
His changing facial expressions during that whole scene were priceless, especially his "death stare'.

Member 39557

I liked the "spunked up the opening" and "600 members inside her" bits.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
'I admit, I have stood by on the pavement with a group of men and slow hand clapped whilst watching a women try to reverse park'.

:lol:

Oldyella

The swollen lips bit was so well done too, it was obviously coming a mile off but you could tell his mannerisms were showing him struggling and then his face was covered by others walking past or cameras until the big reveal. Brilliant episode.

Big Andy

Bloke
I have a feeling something is going to happen thats bad for Alan in the final episode...

Like killing a guest or something :lol: