Alan Smith's interview/podcast episode

Tribec

Even as a Leeds player I always felt that he'd be a great addition to our squad at the time. He reminded me of Mark Hughes in so many ways, smallish stature, battled and competed with lots of aggression, never scored tons but consistently got goals in the seasons he played. He started off on fire, but then with the Rooney and Ruud he was never going to get lots of goals and didn't need to either. As has been stated previously that team was geared to supply Ruud to score which he did always.

I even agreed with Fergie giving him a try in the midfield, again it was similar not to Keane, but the shift of Scholes back into the middle. Not that Smith was as good as Scholes, but he had an engine on him, he wasn't afraid of putting his foot in and whilst his passing wasn't great, I'm sure it could have been worked up. The injury wrecked him, the much mentioned goal against Roma, you could see the sheer joy in his face that not only had he scored but he'd made it back. The crowds reaction wasn't to far akin from after Ole scored his first goal back after his injury either.

The fact that his career was ruined by that injury or should we say his career in the upper echelons of the English game is sad, that he then continued to play down the levels for the next 10 years were a credit to himself. I'm going to give the interview a listen tomorrow at some point, and look forward to it.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Even as a Leeds player I always felt that he'd be a great addition to our squad at the time. He reminded me of Mark Hughes in so many ways, smallish stature, battled and competed with lots of aggression, never scored tons but consistently got goals in the seasons he played. He started off on fire, but then with the Rooney and Ruud he was never going to get lots of goals and didn't need to either. As has been stated previously that team was geared to supply Ruud to score which he did always.

I even agreed with Fergie giving him a try in the midfield, again it was similar not to Keane, but the shift of Scholes back into the middle. Not that Smith was as good as Scholes, but he had an engine on him, he wasn't afraid of putting his foot in and whilst his passing wasn't great, I'm sure it could have been worked up. The injury wrecked him, the much mentioned goal against Roma, you could see the sheer joy in his face that not only had he scored but he'd made it back. The crowds reaction wasn't to far akin from after Ole scored his first goal back after his injury either.

The fact that his career was ruined by that injury or should we say his career in the upper echelons of the English game is sad, that he then continued to play down the levels for the next 10 years were a credit to himself. I'm going to give the interview a listen tomorrow at some point, and look forward to it.
Very much agreed.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
He was awful in the first season; he was moved to midfield because he was a striker who couldn’t score goals. 6 goals in 31 league games for a striker playing in the best team in the country.

I don’t think it’s “absurd” to discuss a player’s ability and contribution whether they’ve had injuries or not. Plenty of players break their legs and come back the same (Andy Cole broke both in the same game and came back better). It seems like an excuse with Smith anyway.
Well that was an easy ignore.

Find some joy in life to push that snitty out.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
@Spaghetti you should try given the podcast with him a listen instead of posting your ridiculously over the top opinions. Otherwise you won't last long here. It's a very enjoyable podcast, just finished it this morning.

Spaghetti

Mom's
@Spaghetti you should try given the podcast with him a listen instead of posting your ridiculously over the top opinions. Otherwise you won't last long here. It's a very enjoyable podcast, just finished it this morning.
Won’t last long for having an opinion... on a fans forum?

I didn’t say anything out of order. Is this place THAT cliquey that one could be banned for having an opinion, about a former United player’s ability, that others don’t agree with?

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Won’t last long for having an opinion... on a fans forum?

I didn’t say anything out of order. Is this place THAT cliquey that one could be banned for having an opinion, about a former United player’s ability, that others don’t agree with?
No it's fine having an opinion, but posting it in the way you did without actually engaging with what was in the OP isn't a great look.
And it's not just about being banned, it's also about getting rid of the "new member" tag and not landing on a bunch of ignore lists.

Spaghetti

Mom's
No it's fine having an opinion, but posting it in the way you did without actually engaging with what was in the OP isn't a great look.
And it's not just about being banned, it's also about getting rid of the "new member" tag and not landing on a bunch of ignore lists.
I’ve been here since 2012 and posted about 200 times. It’s not really at the top of my priorities list to be liked on an anonymous football forum.

You are, however, correct that I went slightly (majorly?) off topic here. Or we could say that the conversation developed.

Robertd0803

Always thought signing Rooney put paid to Fergies original plans for him. Given that we bought Smith and (supposedly) then bought Rooney 12 months earlier than planned meant Rooney was always going to get the nod ahead of him and Fergies intentions went out the window.

Was delighted when we signed him and he kept us going in the first few games of 04/05 when it seemed we were playing a pre season team for the first few weeks.(Spector anyone?) Then the leg break ruined his career.

The Roma goal was a wonderful moment and it was great to see him get a league winners medal in 06/07. If I recall he was given one on special dispensation as he only played 6 or 7 games and needed to play 10. It was a talking point amongst a few of us and he got one of the loudest cheers at Old Trafford that day when he got his medal. (At least in our section).

United Hobbit

Im not sure ill get a chance to listen to his podcast as not currently wfh but what's he up to nowadays?

I really enjoyed some of the other podcasts they did so may try and find time to listen to them again