Alas poor Carrick...WTF has happened?

m1y2

Let's not go there again.

I'm worried as it's not only 10-12 weeks out, he'll have to get fit and get used to playing in a completely new system under LvG.
Don't want to sound dumb but it is probably the best period of time for how long he is out. If he was out for six months or so we would have to buy a midfielder and carrick our third best midfielder at that time would miss the biggest part of the season and would struggle as you said to get used to Lui's system/philosophy or whatever we call it. On the other hand when he was alright he could show as a decent player(no more than that) and vG would assume he could work with him and get best out of clevlerley or possibly experiment with rooney in midfield until January when he buys Strootman..
So now it is the best scenario because he has got cleverley who he can turn into a decent player (anyway unplayable with Herrera IMO) and very average two players in Fellaini and Fletcher he will spot it on tour immidiately even fellaini arrives quite late and wouldn't be dependable anyway so we will have to buy someone and hopefully cope well with easy draw in first 5 fixtures. Than Carrick is back and can help the team to hold on to the top four till January when we signifiantly continue our team rebuilding with buying Strootman or whoever is availible. Hopefully someone will be because I don't see us buying two more central midfield player we desperately need before the summer tranfer window is closed just because it will be tough for vGall to offload as many as 4 or more players which are not good enough for us to make room for others. Surely he is no Moyes he will have no mercy at some stage, but it will take some time to make that decision because he has to "asses the squad he has first".

bucky

We need to buy one more midfielder at least, with or without Carrick. It doesn't change that much for me and I always rated Carrick highly.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Carrick doesn't have the legs to cover as much ground as he used to (as demonstrated through Moyes' stupid setup where the midfield was too high and defence far too deep). He can still read the game well and win the ball. However, he can no longer close down as many spaces and passing avenues as he used nor be on his toes to recover the team from dangerous situations. He can still be useful if we have another energetic midfielder to compensate for Carrick's ageing legs, but do we really need to build the team around Carrick (or any player for that matter)?

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

On United's Facebook page. Hope he makes a speedy recovery. :)

Blair

Out for 10 - 12 weeks means he will be out of first team football for 4 months. The injury time next takes into account getting back to match fitness and getting eased back into first team football. Anyhow this it the best time it could have happened.
Agreed, we still have time to do something about this.

If LVG had decided to stick with what we have and this happened after the window shut then we'd be well and truly fecked.

We need a world class midfielder, regardless of Carrick being fit or not.

Hed Zitin

All LVG said was Carrick is experienced and he's now injured. Sounds like big plans.
I didn't hear it like that. The conversation was on experienced players and because of that he mentioned an experienced player was injured. That's all I got from that.

Minimalist

Needs replaced at this stage. At very least there should be a consideration of his replacement within the first XI.

Hopefully he can come back strong enough to be a good squad player.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Has anyone suggested yet that Carrick's injury is a blessing in disguise like some ppl suggested last season when RvP got injured? :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Has anyone suggested yet that Carrick's injury is a blessing in disguise like some ppl suggested last season when RvP got injured? :lol:
A few grade A clowns have done.
Forgetting that unless we buy someone we have to definitely start one of Fellaini, Fletcher and Cleverley as the best option

marlowe78

I guess this is what's meant by breaking point, either we find a solution to this whole problem or we go off the waterfall.