Alas poor Carrick...WTF has happened?

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Yes. thoroughly impressive in both the press conference and the interview.

He's one you look at and believe in and I think, we, as a fanbase, really need that after the doldrums of Moyes' and his conviction-less approach to everything he did here.

Feels like United are back!
Hard to believe we've found a new manager with predominantly the same ideals as Fergie has. Its absolutely mouth-watering for us..

He's so straight up & no bullshit. The players & the staff are gonna love that big fella - the fans are already on Love Island building a campfire singing:

:(:devil:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Ferguson would still find a way not to buy a midfielder in the current situation even without adding Fellaini and Herrera.

SambaBoy

I doubt Carrick's injury will change plans in the transfer window. Like it or not but Cleverely, Fletcher, Fellaini and even Anderson can provide back-up while he is gone.

NoWinNoFee

kietotheworld mk2
I doubt Carrick's injury will change plans in the transfer window. Like it or not but Cleverely, Fletcher, Fellaini and even Anderson can provide back-up while he is gone.
Last season all over again, infact previous several seasons all over again.

Ole90+3

I did read your post, maybe you don't realise how you come off. You said that being the best doesn't make him good so you must mean that he's at the most an average player, right? I don't agree with you at all that he never takes risks, you make it sound like he's like Cleverley always passing it sideways when actually playing direct passes into dangerous areas is probably the one thing he excells at the most. One of his most successful season since joining us was Fergies last season where he was for the most part paired up with Anderson or Cleverley in a squad that was nor more World class than last seasons since it's basically the same squads + Fellaini, Januzaj so obviously he's not dependant on being surrounded by WC players.
This is a pointless conversation if this is what you truly believe.

I can't believe we're talking about the same player here.

Carrick is a useful player, average or maybe slightly above it.

Ferguson and United's coaching staff have done a phenomenal job on making him a relevant player in such a successful period of the club's history.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So that Leaves us with Herrera, Cleverley, Fletcher, Anderson, Fellaini.

NMF

So that leaves us with Herrera, Cleverley, Fellaini, Fletcher and Anderson only one of which is good enough for the club and his yet to play a match for us :nervous:

We need to add someone immediately, we can't wait until pre season is done.

JohnnyLaw

This is a pointless conversation if this is what you truly believe.

I can't believe we're talking about the same player here.

Carrick is a useful player, average or maybe slightly above it.

Ferguson and United's coaching staff have done a phenomenal job on making him a relevant player in such a successful period of the club's history.
I'll mirror yo on those thoughts and bid you a good day sir.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Looks like United indeed are experiencing similar problem to Netherlands who lost their midfield maestro Strootman before the tournament.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
There you go. 10-12 weeks. We must buy a midfielder now.
One won't be enough. Herrera aside, most of our midfield is full of mediocrity. It'll cost us big if we don't sign at least two.

Cina sucks

On probation. Man Utd'll Never Walk Alone
Sounds like an Achilles tear to me or a broken toe.
Yep that's what I was thinking too. I thought my cousin was just bullshitting me to be honest which is why I didn't post any news on here.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Season has barely started and we are already down to the Anderson/Fellaini/Cleverley/Fletcher scrap heap in midfield with Herrera. We desperately need a couple more players for those spots unless someone from the youth can claim a spot there.

JSMHE

LVG said it's a big blow. Obviously not just experience but he's the only one in our current first team CM who can deliver the ball. Gotta need to sign midfield here. 3 months is long enough.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Massive blow. His is the most senior midfielder in the squad and still for me is the best of the bunch regardless of last season.

Huge setback to the start of the LVG campaign but it surely forces a move for a major player now? None of Fletcher, Cleverley, Anderson or Fellaini are suitable stand ins. It's just a shame Strootman is recovering from injury because many here have earmarked him as the future successor to the Carrick role which was quite a fair shout.

caid

Ouch thats bad : /
It'll probably take him a couple of weeks to get back up to speed too :(
I'm not entirely convinced by him as a first choice in the team but he'd be really, really good cover and squad option.

Yeah we badly need to buy now.
Apart from anything else only 1 of them can really play as a dm which is whats needed with mata and herrera.
I kind of assume fellaini and andersons days are numbered too (or were, maybe not anymore).

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Would be suicide not to sign another midfielder now, don't even have Giggs to step in anymore :(

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Really bad blow for him and the team but potentially a blessing in disguise if we go out and buy some midfielders along with Herrera. Would expect us to bring at least one more CM.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
So that Leaves us with Herrera, Cleverley, Fletcher, Anderson, Fellaini.
Fletcher is sadly finished and 3 others nowhere near good enough to play for this club. Looks like it'll be Jones or Rooney in midfield for the new season alongside Herrera. If this doesn't prove we need AT LEAST one more CM, it's beyond belief. A 33 year old Carrick is going to be picking up more and more injuries and we are already threadbare even with Herrera.

marlowe78

Carrick has looked the past season like he's at the end of the road. He's like a carthorse that has been run into the ground.

This would almost certainly force us to buy another midfielder, if not two, but I'm worried if the club will try to make do with players like Fellaini and Cleverley. Correct me if I'm wrong but I also can't think of any ready players from our youth program who are defensive middles, Powell for instance is primarily an attacker.

I also don't understand why van Gaal mentioned the injury when it could lead clubs to increase their price for a good player. The only reasons I can think of is that word of Carrick in the boot had already spread and it couldn't be kept quiet or we may already have a signing lined up.

Oneunited26

All of a sudden the needs go from needing a midfielder to desperately needing a midfielder

The cold harsh reality of our CM options - herrera cleverly fletcher anderson fellaini

Let that sink in

Bwuk

How long has been Paul Scholes without football?
Let's not go there again.

I'm worried as it's not only 10-12 weeks out, he'll have to get fit and get used to playing in a completely new system under LvG.

Annahnomoss

Let's not go there again.

I'm worried as it's not only 10-12 weeks out, he'll have to get fit and get used to playing in a completely new system under LvG.
He will have to start from 0 when everybody has already got into the system. By then he can't rely on being the better player than the others, as they'll have learnt the new system much better which means they probably has a bigger chance of starting. Carrick needs 20 games as well before he reaches any form, he usually reaches it in around December and he is the player I think least can afford injuries like this.

slir32

Out for 10 - 12 weeks means he will be out of first team football for 4 months. The injury time next takes into account getting back to match fitness and getting eased back into first team football. Anyhow this it the best time it could have happened.