Music Albums you love listening to after waking up

Moby

Dick
I've always had a special place for putting on something as soon as I wake up and basically waking up to music everytime feels great. Used to be a daily thing back in uni days however now it's more of a weekend luxury.

Having said that there's certain albums that blend beautifully with the time of early morning and starting your day with. Listened to this one after a long time today making it one of those extra comfortable Saturday mornings. :drool:

Chronicle by Lights and Motion

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Sunday morning is my music morning for a few hours, I enjoy cooking breakfast, nice sunny day with music on. Don’t get much chance to just listen to music like that at other times.

most of the time it’s listening to absolute radio and old ninties and eighties songs like beautiful south and similar although I will listen to peaceful albums now and again, manics, ocean colour scene, stereophonics etc, some great Sunday morning music there :)

I’ll give your link a listen tomorrow

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
For when I need a jump start, ILL COMMUNICATION, for this track specifically

For when I want to zone out and be left alone, BICEP for this track specifically

For when I need soothing. This whole album.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Does people still listen to "Albums" anymore? As in full album

In the age of playlist and spotify, I'd probably stick my custom playlist (which over the years I've created alot), a few of him and her here and there

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )

In the age of playlist and spotify, I'd probably stick my custom playlist (which over the years I've created alot), a few of him and her here and there
Same here. I have a very diverse mix, a little bit of everything.

Bobade

Absolutely. Playlists definitely have a place but albums are best for full immersion. Good ones are an uninterrupted listen, for me.

Pickle85

So many to choose from, but off the top of my head I would go for 'Sticky Fingers' by the Stones. Gives me the spring in my step and the little bit of attitude I need. Gonna be a good day.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Absolutely. Playlists definitely have a place but albums are best for full immersion. Good ones are an uninterrupted listen, for me.
Not that hardcore avid listener of music. I always find albums to be.... lacking, since you can't really fill it full of good songs.

Off course back then I used to play a few albums (Cranberries best of, Bon Jovi Crossroads, Phill Colin's but seriously) but never had the will to finish 1 album fully.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Not that hardcore avid listener of music. I always find albums to be.... lacking, since you can't really fill it full of good songs.

Off course back then I used to play a few albums (Cranberries best of, Bon Jovi Crossroads, Phill Colin's but seriously) but never had the will to finish 1 album fully.
#accidentalpartridge

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Of course.

Albums are put together in a certain way for a reason. Tracks flow from one to another or it tells a story.

I will often shuffle my music but a lot of the time I feel like listening to a specific album. There are loads that are worth listening to all the way through.

led_scholes

Of course.

Albums are put together in a certain way for a reason. Tracks flow from one to another or it tells a story.

I will often shuffle my music but a lot of the time I feel like listening to a specific album. There are loads that are worth listening to all the way through.
I don't think that is the case with mainstream music. Some mainstream rock and rap maybe. But since most of modern albums are written by 30 people, I can't see how they can storytell. I think we are now again -and have been for a decade- in the pre-Revolver/Sgt Peppers era, where singles were the focal point for a musician/singer.

Edit: I m not denying that people still listen to albums, I do too. I just find it hard to find coherent albums.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I don't think that is the case with mainstream music. Some mainstream rock and rap maybe. But since most of modern albums are written by 30 people, I can't see how they can storytell. I think we are now again -and have been for a decade- in the pre-Revolver/Sgt Peppers era, where singles were the focal point for a musician/singer.
Tyler, The Creator's new album came out a few weeks ago and it does exactly that. In fact all of his albums since Flower Boy have been really cohesive and have a story running through them (also almost entirely produced by himself). People like Kendrick, Anderson Paak, SZA, Glass Animals, Bon Iver, etc.. all have albums out in the last few years that have themes and a cohesiveness to them.

Maybe it depends on what people listen to but there's loads of artists still making great albums that are worth listening to from start to finish. I've never really cared about just singles and I'm not interested in any bloated 'albums' that get pumped out for streaming numbers.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I definitely still listen to albums. I didn't know people didn't, but I guess I don't talk about music all that much anyway. For me, playlists are for background music and general familiarity. Albums are for immersion in an artist's work. I can't imagine listening to my favourite bands via individual songs on a playlist.

I don't have a particular favourite to listen to after waking up, that would certainly change day to day, but this is what I spun this morning whilst out for a walk in the sun:

Sean Na Na (Har Mar Superstar's indie-pop alter-ego)

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Streaming obviously lends greater weight to individual tracks but I think most acts that aim for some sort of artistic or critical achievement/recognition still present the album as the key form.

If someone like Kendrick Lamar released new stuff tomorrow, it would be the album that would be held up against previous work and weighed as part of his legacy rather than the lead single.

Or look at Taylor Swift, whose last promotional cycle was very much centred around the album rather than any of the individual songs, again because she seemed to want to frame it as an artistic statement. It's a lot harder to present single tracks in that way.

And that only applies more-so as you shift away from mainstream acts who inherently place greater emphasis on commercial considerations.

Acole9

Outstanding

I do a mixture of the two. Some music only really works when it's listened to on an album rather than a shuffled playlist full of different genres.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I do a mixture of the two. Some music only really works when it's listened to on an album rather than a shuffled playlist full of different genres.
Depends on how meticulous you make your playlist.

For some a playlist could really be similar mood wise.

I'd arrange mine in several classification, Era, per-decade, memorable moments, etc.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Depends on how meticulous you make your playlist.

For some a playlist could really be similar mood wise.

I'd arrange mine in several classification, Era, per-decade, memorable moments, etc.
I have both meticulous playlists and albums.

Pickle85

Have been enjoying J Dilla's Donuts to pop on while pottering in the kitchen and making breakfast. Nice way to start the day.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Have been enjoying J Dilla's Donuts to pop on while pottering in the kitchen and making breakfast. Nice way to start the day.
Classic
——
Yeezus is my go-to on a weekend early gym session. On Sight is a right wake up call for that first set

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Wierd this thread is bumped as when driving into work this morning I was thinking how my Spotify unwrapped will no doubt have the same album as 'most listened' as last year.

Everybody's gone to the rapture is my go to waking up album. And yes, it is the whole album, not just a few tracks. It's pure habit now I've convinced myself that my day / mood / patience / tolerance / everything is better once I've eased myself into the day soundtracked by this album.