Alec Baldwin fatally shoots woman with prop gun on movie set

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Absolutely horrible and how the hell does this happen decades after Brandon Lee? Surely some negligence there somewhere. Should have been avoided.

Mike Smalling

I have no idea what kind of prop guns they use for movies, but when you practice with blanks in the military you put a kind of plug at the end of the barrel to ensure the gun can still work automatically. If that is not attached correctly it can shoot off with a lot of force, when the blanks are fired.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Man that would really mess with your head. Really sad situation, and hopefully they get to the bottom of why it occurred.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Jesus. He must be feeling awful and will probably never forgive himself despite it likely not being his fault.

GueRed

Terrible accident.
Very reminiscent of Brandon Lee's death back 1993.

Brophs

The One and Only
Kind of puts Christian Bale screaming at that guy in an American accent into context. Sliding doors and all that…

OleBoiii

How the feck does a prop gun can even kill people? Don’t they just shoot blanks and add in effects later?
You'd think so. Although they look very realistic and there's not exactly a lack of guns in the US, so maybe the guns got switched up?

If prop guns actually can fire deadly rounds, then it's one of the dumbest designs I've heard about.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Title is unnecessary. Makes it sound like he murdered her.
BBC did the exact same thing. Main page headline "Alec Baldwin fatally shoots woman with prop gun". And when you click the article it continues "...on movie set."

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
"Accidentally shoots" would be a more accurate title probably.

Also thought of Brandon Lee. Such a horrible thing to happen — goes without saying that her family & the loved ones are the ones who suffer the most but I can't help but think of Baldwin. Accidentally killing something, especially like this, on a set, has to be... can't even think of a proper word to describe it.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
That's fecking tragic. Is that the first time this happens since Brandon Lee? Horrible for all involved really.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
BBC did the exact same thing. Main page headline "Alec Baldwin fatally shoots woman with prop gun". And when you click the article it continues "...on movie set."
Getting their click count up! But at least it's a money grab from them, as naughty as it is; Chutney's done the same thing for views!

Simbo

How the feck does a prop gun can even kill people? Don’t they just shoot blanks and add in effects later?
Brandon Lee's death was caused by part of the cartridge of a fired blank being lodged in the barrel. Shot out when the next blank was fired.

Drifter

American
Thought they would have learned something, from the death of Brandon Lee.

ChrisNelson

Couldn't believe this when I heard it on the radio earlier, how the hell can there be a weapon on set capable of ejecting anything that might harm someone even slightly??

Surely technology has advanced such that the gun only has to make a sound and CGI can do the rest.

This is madness and I suspect lawsuits galore.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
BBC loves clickbait. You'd think they'd be above it.

Deery

Dreary
Couldn't believe this when I heard it on the radio earlier, how the hell can there be a weapon on set capable of ejecting anything that might harm someone even slightly??

Surely technology has advanced such that the gun only has to make a sound and CGI can do the rest.

This is madness and I suspect lawsuits galore.
It was a 19th century film maybe they were using old guns, still unacceptable though..

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I’ve just realized that the director has been injured as well and is currently in critical condition. Make you wonder what was in that pistol even more, that caused an explosion/ricochet.

edit: he’s fine apparently

Last edited:

Withnail

I’ve just realized that the director has been injured as well and is currently in critical condition. Make you wonder what was in that pistol even more, that caused an explosion/ricochet.
He's not critical at all. I've just read that he's been let out of hospital so thankfully ok.

That is the odd bit for me, though. What in the hell happened that he killed one and injured another.

They hardly gave him live rounds, did they?