Alec Baldwin fatally shoots woman with prop gun on movie set

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
The gun Baldwin killed the victim with had real world live rounds in it. Apparantly, she was killed by an actual bullet, not a gas blow.
Has that been 100% confirmed? I've just been reading a lot of information on it and there doesn't seem to be a clear explanation. They all say the gun was loaded with a "live" round, but again I don't know if they mean a blank or a real bullet. If it is a real one, then that just seems mental to me.

The last I read they were still trying to determine the type of projectile used.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Has that been 100% confirmed? I've just been reading a lot of information on it and there doesn't seem to be a clear explanation. They all say the gun was loaded with a "live" round, but again I don't know if they mean a blank or a real bullet. If it is a real one, then that just seems mental to me.

The last I read they were still trying to determine the type of projectile used.
according to the largest german yellow press newspaper "BILD", which is usually well informed, she was hit by a bullet, meaning it wasn't a blank

Edit:
could be some translation error as well, but who knows

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
according to the largest german yellow press newspaper "BILD", which is usually well informed, she was hit by a bullet, meaning it wasn't a blank

Edit:
could be some translation error as well, but who knows
Yeah, the last I read on it the Santa Fe County Sheriff said they were still determining what type of projectile was used. Probably find out soon. Tragic, regardless.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Yeah, the last I read on it the Santa Fe County Sheriff said they were still determining what type of projectile was used. Probably find out soon. Tragic, regardless.
Could a projectile ever be fired from a blank? Could gas itself ever be qualified as a projectile? Surely not.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Could a projectile ever be fired from a blank? Could gas itself ever be qualified as a projectile? Surely not.
Yeah, at close range they can be dangerous. They sometimes stuff them with wads of paper, plastic, felt, or cotton. If you're far enough away I don't think they really pose any danger, but at close range they can, as evidenced by this case (if indeed it was a blank and not actually a real bullet. Don't know the full details yet)

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Yeah, at close range they can be dangerous. They sometimes stuff them with wads of paper, plastic, felt, or cotton. If you're far enough away I don't think they really pose any danger, but at close range they can, as evidenced by this case (if indeed it was a blank and not actually a real bullet. Don't know the full details yet)
I know about the harm of the gas itself, but I wasn't aware they'd be stuffing stuff into it. I simply meant that gas itself couldn't be qualified as a projectile.

hobbers

Blanks dont fire projectiles but if something was already lodged in the barrel that will be fired out.

Do we know what sort of gun it was yet? The fact two people got hit with one shot makes me think it surely must have been a shotgun?

Halftrack

Blanks dont fire projectiles but if something was already lodged in the barrel that will be fired out.

Do we know what sort of gun it was yet? The fact two people got hit with one shot makes me think it surely must have been a shotgun?
Reports have it as Baldwin practicing drawing from a holster when it happened, which would indicate a handgun. Might have been a Brandon Lee situation, where a projectile from a dummy round was stuck in the cylinder or barrel, and it was propelled out by a blank charge.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I know about the harm of the gas itself, but I wasn't aware they'd be stuffing stuff into it. I simply meant that gas itself couldn't be qualified as a projectile.
I think the wads of paper, plastic, felt, or cotton are to make the gunshot look more "realistic"

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
According to twitter comments she's a politician? How can people elect someone this thick and insensitive, let alone to congress.
She’s one of the absolute worst of the alt-right, outwardly racist, redneck, gun-toting Trump era republicans.

choccy77

A slight detour here but in keeping with some of the comments.

The Royal National Opera House in London has it's own armoury department and the head guy is quite young, but he has so many old guns and swords going back hundreds of years in his storage for props on the various performances and it's his job to ensure they are all disarmed etc

On the set, it seems the people in charge of the weapons and safety had quit a couple day's ago and they drafted in some other company with no real checks and cleary, these "cowboys" seriously screwed up big time.

Clearly, these film's can no longer work this way going forward, without stricter regulation.

slyadams

Someone is dead. People shouldnt die for a movie.

I'm a bit stunned you've just brushed a death aside
I’m not brushing it aside, I’m saying 10s of thousands of movies and TV shows are made each and every year. This is tragic but it’s highly reactionary to say “no more guns with blanks, make it all CGI”. People die boxing, they die playing football, they die doing stunts, they die skiing, they die building things, they die fishing, they die driving and they die flying. It’s not minimising the death to say that 1 person dying every 30 years isn’t a reason to ban stunt fire arms. It’s just modern reactionary nonsense to make that claim.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Blaming an actor for not checking the prop he was handed by experts is a bizarre take.
This.
However, how 'expert' exactly the situation on set was seems to be very questionable based on what we read, and if Baldwin was involved in producing the movie it will come back to him that way.
Horrible story, and I can't believe something like would still happen on a professional set. Hard to call it "tragic" when something is so needless and negligent, it's rather infuriating.
No idea how it works to be honest, I thought with zooming etc with modern cameras why would they ever need to be that close? i'm sure more details will be released eventually
Zooming would condense the distance between the tip of the gun and the face of the one holding it, if you want that 'looking down the barrel' type shot you'd need to get close.

Mike Smalling

It was certainly the plot to the theatre mission in the 2006 game, Hitman: Blood Money.
Literally the first thing that popped into my mind when this story broke. Seemed a little outlandish in the game, but I guess it could actually happen.

You have to wonder why there were even live rounds around the set to begin with. What would they need them for?

lsd

The Oracle

No words how insensitive this is. fecking psychopathic troll.

Trump fans are having a field day. They really are the absolute scum of the earth.

This is like their dream come true and the joy they are taking over it is just so sickening

decorativeed

Press one release button on a gun vs being a pilot.

It's obvious.

Unless you are telling me you need to be a fire arms expert to release a clip ?

Do you get training in work to do your job ?
Sorry, but I know nothing about guns. Absolutely zero knowledge beyond they go bang. Why do you presume Alec Baldwin is any different?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Trump fans are having a field day. They really are the absolute scum of the earth.

This is like their dream come true and the joy they are taking over it is just so sickening
Just got a timeout on Twitter for calling her an ‘odious cnut.’

decorativeed

Difference being that a microphone not working or the lighting being wrong isn't going to kill someone. Guns are dangerous, and checking to make sure that they're safe is quick and trivial. There's literally no reason and no excuse for it not being standard procedure to instruct actors to do so when handing them fully functional firearms.

As I said above, if it's standard not to do so, then I can agree that Alec Baldwin isn't guilty of much other than trusting someone else, but it's still a massive failure of the prodction/the industry.

Well yes, people at firing ranges can be massive idiots. We're talking professional actors on decent sized productions here, though. They have all sorts of rules and procedures with regards to how to do things safely, including how to safely use the guns they're handed, so I don't see why it'd be an issue to instruct an actor on how to make sure that they gun they're using is safe.

Anyway, after reading around a bit, it might all be moot anyway. The most believable theory I've read thus far is that the projectile from a dummy round (used for closeups shots of revolvers because you can see the bullets through the front of the cylinder) got stuck in the cylinder, and that it wasn't noticed by whomever took them out and loaded it with blanks. When fired, the loose projectile combined with the blank essentially created a functional round (pretty much like what happened with Brandon Lee). It's either that, or the barrel was obstructed by something (which, again, could have been a projectile from a dummy round). Either of these should have been caught, but it's not something you'd expect an actor to check for.

e: and now I'm reading that there's rumor that the armourer had taken the gun off-set and used it to shoot live ammo, and that it wasn't the armourer that handed Baldwin the gun, but someone who had no business handing anyone guns. The armourer wasn't a member of the union, either, which from what I'm reading is a bad sign, and enough reason for crew to walk off set. Which they apparently did, over gun safety concerns (there had apparently been several cases of supposedly 'cold guns' firing), and were replaced by scabs. Seems the whole thing was a massive shitshow.
Ask Curtis Mayfield how he feels about that statement. Actually, you can't, because he's dead due to some crew member rigging up some equipment wrong.

Halftrack

I’m not brushing it aside, I’m saying 10s of thousands of movies and TV shows are made each and every year. This is tragic but it’s highly reactionary to say “no more guns with blanks, make it all CGI”. People die boxing, they die playing football, they die doing stunts, they die skiing, they die building things, they die fishing, they die driving and they die flying. It’s not minimising the death to say that 1 person dying every 30 years isn’t a reason to ban stunt fire arms. It’s just modern reactionary nonsense to make that claim.
I don't think it's reactionary nonsense to say "maybe not use deadly weapons to make entertainment?" Alternatives exist, such as non-guns to simulate muzzle flash, or CO2 guns with moving slides for if that's you're worried about the gun looking wrong when fired. Blank guns don't actually have much, if any, recoil, so it's not like you're losing anything, other than some imagined authenticity.

Ask Curtis Mayfield how he feels about that statement. Actually, you can't, because he's dead due to some crew member rigging up some equipment wrong.
Curtis Mayfield died of complications from diabetes. Besides, you talked about working microphones and correct lighting, not faulty rigging. That's an entirely different issue, and would require a hell of a lot more expertise than checking if a gun you're told is empty is actually empty.

decorativeed

If you are the one with the finger on the trigger it is your responsibility to be part of health and safety. There is a clip floating around of Will Smith on a Bad Boys set slapping a gun away from someone who has poor muzzle discipline. Safety is everyones responsibility. The rest of the points are strawman arguments.
I think the other arguments are daft, to be honest.

If I get a plumber in to install a new gas boiler, and I turn it on and it explodes, is that my fault as the end user, or his, the expert who I paid to safely install it?

Withnail

Literally the first thing that popped into my mind when this story broke. Seemed a little outlandish in the game, but I guess it could actually happen.

You have to wonder why there were even live rounds around the set to begin with. What would they need them for?
Apparently blanks fall under the description of live rounds so it may not have been a real bullet, unless new information has come to light.

decorativeed

Curtis Mayfield died of complications from diabetes. Besides, you talked about working microphones and correct lighting, not faulty rigging. That's an entirely different issue, and would require a hell of a lot more expertise than checking if a gun you're told is empty is actually empty.
He died after years of being paralysed from the neck down due to someone not doing the job they were paid for properly. I suppose he should have gone up in the rafters to check the stage equipment was properly secured, if the opinions in this thread are anything to go by. Becoming paraplegic was his own fault for trusting that the staff had been competent.

choccy77

Apparently the girl in charge of the weapons publically said on a Podcast before this film began shooting, that she wasn't ready for this responsibility.

She also, said she didn't know how to work with blanks and had to ask her father for help.

Halftrack

He died after years of being paralysed from the neck down due to someone not doing the job they were paid for properly. I suppose he should have gone up in the rafters to check the stage equipment was properly secured, if the opinions in this thread are anything to go by. Becoming paraplegic was his own fault for trusting that the staff had been competent.
Besides, you talked about working microphones and correct lighting, not faulty rigging. That's an entirely different issue, and would require a hell of a lot more expertise than checking if a gun you're told is empty is actually empty.
Is your reading comprehension really this bad? Checking if a gun is empty takes a few seconds and requires pressing a button and pulling on a bit. It's immediately obvious, even to a complete idiot, whether or not a gun is empty.

This is a Colt Single Action Army, also known as the Peacemaker. It is the definitive Western revolver (maybe only rivaled by the Colt Walker and its derivatives) and is the most common gun in Western movies. The gun used on set was described by various sources as a Colt, so it was most likely this one. Want to know how to check if it's empty? By looking at it from the side like this. This gun is empty. If there were a cartridge in any of the chambers, you'd see the brass protrude at the back of the cylinder. Additionally, you can open the loading gate (the thing right below the hammer) and inspect each chamber individually. All you have to do is open it, pull the hammer back until you hear it click for the second time, and then spin the cylinder.

I've already said that if this (and the equivalent checks for other types of firearms) isn't part of normal procedure, it should be. But apparently expecting someone to look through a gap is like expecting them to do rigging or electrical work, so I guess it can't be done.

decorativeed

Is your reading comprehension really this bad? Checking if a gun is empty takes a few seconds and requires pressing a button and pulling on a bit. It's immediately obvious, even to a complete idiot, whether or not a gun is empty.

This is a Colt Single Action Army, also known as the Peacemaker. It is the definitive Western revolver (maybe only rivaled by the Colt Walker and its derivatives) and is the most common gun in Western movies. The gun used on set was described by various sources as a Colt, so it was most likely this one. Want to know how to check if it's empty? By looking at it from the side like this. This gun is empty. If there were a cartridge in any of the chambers, you'd see the brass protrude at the back of the cylinder. Additionally, you can open the loading gate (the thing right below the hammer) and inspect each chamber individually. All you have to do is open it, pull the hammer back until you hear it click for the second time, and then spin the cylinder.

I've already said that if this (and the equivalent checks for other types of firearms) isn't part of normal procedure, it should be. But apparently expecting someone to look through a gap is like expecting them to do rigging or electrical work, so I guess it can't be done.
It's your comprehension that's the issue. It's simple. It's not his fecking job to check. Nobody expects him to. Nobody asked him to.

Also, as has been said repeatedly, the gun had blanks in it, so it stands to reason it wouldn't be empty. So the point about checking that it is empty is moot.

Halftrack

It's your comprehension that's the issue. It's simple. It's not his fecking job to check. Nobody expects him to. Nobody asked him to.
You keep saying that it's not the actors job, and I've acknowledged that while it might not be, it definitely should, yet you keep repeating it. Do you think that it's too much to change procedure so that actors are given instructions on how to verify that a cold gun is, in fact, cold?
Also, as has been said repeatedly, the gun had blanks in it, so it stands to reason it wouldn't be empty. So the point about checking that it is empty is moot.
You've got it wrong. What happened was the the gun was announced as 'cold', meaning there wasn't supposed to be anything in it, it was supposed to be empty. Turns out there was a blank (or possibly a ball round) in the cylinder, meaning that if he had been instructed on how to perform even the most basic check, he would have seen that the gun was potentially hot, and this accident could have been avoided.

decorativeed

You keep saying that it's not the actors job, and I've acknowledged that while it might not be, it definitely should, yet you keep repeating it. Do you think that it's too much to change procedure so that actors are given instructions on how to verify that a cold gun is, in fact, cold?

You've got it wrong. What happened was the the gun was announced as 'cold', meaning there wasn't supposed to be anything in it, it was supposed to be empty. Turns out there was a blank (or possibly a ball round) in the cylinder, meaning that if he had been instructed on how to perform even the most basic check, he would have seen that the gun was potentially hot, and this accident could have been avoided.
I think we both agree that training could be improved and it could prevent these incidents.

As far as I have understood from what has been written about this, is that 'cold' means it didn't have live rounds in it. Not that it had nothing at all in the barrel.

I'd imagine, having done some level of performance in the past, that Baldwin was at that moment focused on remembering his lines, and getting into character. Not on second-guessing what he's been told by the assistant director.

We seem to disagree on the fact that someone should be able to trust that someone else has competently done the job they were specifically hired to take responsibility for, so I'll leave it at that.

Carolina Red

Staff

Having grown up around guns my whole life, I would have checked the gun anyway… but not everyone grows up in the rural south; and on a movie set, I would imagine that they’d expect firearms experts to tell them the truth.

What you’re coming off as here is kicking Baldwin while he’s down.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

I don’t know what the loading gate is, I don’t know what the hammer is and wouldn’t fancy counting clicks and spinning cylinders, I’d prefer to leave it to someone who is trained and an expert.

And then even if I did learn to use this gun I doubt it’s the same procedure with different guns so then I guess actors should have to go on multiple courses for each different gun they have to hold. That’s a mess.

I don’t know why they don’t just use fake guns, I always thought they did to be honest.

NotworkSte

I think the other arguments are daft, to be honest.

If I get a plumber in to install a new gas boiler, and I turn it on and it explodes, is that my fault as the end user, or his, the expert who I paid to safely install it?
No, but you’d be daft to light the pilot light if it had gone out and you smelled gas.

Halftrack

As far as I have understood from what has been written about this, is that 'cold' means it didn't have live rounds in it. Not that it had nothing at all in the barrel.
"Live" or "hot" means anything with a primer, with or without charge, "cold" means empty or inert. It could be that the scene called for dummy rounds to be used, in which case it would look loaded, but dummy rounds are commonly made with some way of easily telling them apart from the real deal (apparently the dummy rounds made for this film had pellets inside so that they'd make a very distinct rattling sound if shaken, and they typically don't have primers either.) In that case, simply looking through the gap wouldn't be enough, but if they were instructed on how to check whether the rounds are dummies or blanks, it would still be an easy thing to verify.

But yeah, it's not standard procedure, so there's no reason to expect he knew how, and he should have been able to trust that they guy who handed it to him had actually checked and was telling the truth.
Having grown up around guns my whole life, I would have checked the gun anyway… but not everyone grows up in the rural south and on a movie set, I would imagine that they’d expect firearms experts to tell them the truth.

What you’re coming off as here is kicking Baldwin while he’s down.
It's a terrible accident, and I feel sorry for him.

If I come off as insensitive, then I apologise. This is the internet, though, and Alec Baldwin is unlikely to come on here and create an account to view the CE forum, so I don't see the problem with trying to view the incident objectively and talk about how it happened, and what can be done to prevent something like this from happening again. This was clearly the result of a cascade of failures, and one should be able to acknowledge that much.
I don’t know what the loading gate is, I don’t know what the hammer is and wouldn’t fancy counting clicks and spinning cylinders, I’d prefer to leave it to someone who is trained and an expert.

And then even if I did learn to use this gun I doubt it’s the same procedure with different guns so then I guess actors should have to go on multiple courses for each different gun they have to hold. That’s a mess.

I don’t know why they don’t just use fake guns, I always thought they did to be honest.
It'd be easier if it was explained to you in person, with the help of a functioning example.

Most serious armorers demonstrate to actors how the guns work, and instruct them on how to use it before they allow them handle it. This is standard procedure anywhere where they're serious about firearm safety. What I'm suggesting is merely, in addition to instruction them how the gun functions and how to use it, that they are also shown how to check that it's safe when it's supposed to be. Reading all over the internet today, the consensus among those sharing their experience from working on film sets seem to be that it's always supposed to be the set armorer that hands the actors their guns, and it's also common to demonstrate to the actors that the gun is safe.

On your last point, non-guns and other less dangerous facsimiles exist. They have guns with the same moving parts as functional guns, that are powered by CO2, they have electric "non-guns" that simulate muzzle flash, they have resin replicas for anyone whose gun isn't meant to be shown up close. There's not really a need to use real guns in movies anymore, it's just done for "realism" and because it's cheap and easy.

Carolina Red

Staff
If I come off as insensitive, then I apologise. This is the internet, though, and Alec Baldwin is unlikely to come on here and create an account to view the CE forum, so I don't see the problem with trying to view the incident objectively and talk about how it happened, and what can be done to prevent something like this from happening again. This was clearly the result of a cascade of failures, and one should be able to acknowledge that much.
By that logic, talking about how to prevent it is pointless, since it is highly unlikely that Hollywood firearms experts are going to create an account and view the CE forum.