Alec Baldwin fatally shoots woman with prop gun on movie set

choccy77

David Halls apparently admitted that he only checked 3 of the barrels on the gun and not all of them before he passed to Baldwin.

choccy77

fecking hell. It doesn't take much effort to check all the cylinders on a revolver, even an old fixed cylinder single action one.
Yeah,

This whole production just sounds so dodgy and they also didn't take out insurance to cover the film not being completed either.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Same in the US because that wasn’t a prop gun but a replica of a 1800’s gun, in other words that was a real gun and the guy who survived had a real bullet in his shoulder, now the big question: they say they should be using a prop gun in a rehearsal, they told the actor the gun was cold he shoots the gun makes a big bang then he shoots again…wait they told you the gun was cold shouldn’t you stop immediately and request an explanation why the gun wasn’t cold?

Edit: just read was only one shot
I read a twitter thread of an armourer (that was posted here) and they say that they use props, replicas and real guns in a set. In Spain you don't use real guns, only replicas that use a different caliber from the real ones. So a gun that looks exactly the same but internally a real bullet don't fit. So it can't be a mistake because no one brings a real gun as a tool to make a movie

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I read a twitter thread of an armourer (that was posted here) and they say that they use props, replicas and real guns in a set. In Spain you don't use real guns, only replicas that use a different caliber from the real ones. So a gun that looks exactly the same but internally a real bullet don't fit. So it can't be a mistake because no one brings a real gun as a tool to make a movie
See that makes sense, a poka-yoke gun design that makes things unfeckupable. But Americans need real guns as ever, even to pretend :rolleyes:

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Yeah but when was the last time you watched a Spanish movie? Exactly
They spend all the budget in sophisticated prop guns and blanks

Spanish movies sucks (with few exceptions). though I think a bunch of people watched money heist in netflix with lots of guns by the way

Halftrack

It was probably an accidental discharge while he was practicing removing it from the holster, which is pretty common.
It was a single action revolver. The only way you're going to accidentally discharge it while drawing is if you've already cocked the hammer (or you're holding down the trigger, because you're an idiot, and the hammer snags on something and gets pulled back and then immediately drops, because the sear isn't engaged.)

Amarsdd

It was a single action revolver. The only way you're going to accidentally discharge it while drawing is if you've already cocked the hammer (or you're holding down the trigger, because you're an idiot, and the hammer snags on something and gets pulled back and then immediately drops, because the sear isn't engaged.)
I think someone has posted a youtube video in this thread showing what you're saying there is not quite true.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
From my perspective he was obviously practicing drawing and firing so it's reasonable to assume that it was cocked. Maybe he didn't have great trigger discipline or maybe the trigger was very light and easily engaged. That said, if you're going to have an accidental discharge when handling a firearm, the most common moment is probably when removing one from a holster. That motion takes a lot of practice.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
A lawsuit against Alec Baldwin alleges that a film script did not require him to fire a gun when he fatally shot cinematographer Halyna Hutchins.

Script supervisor Mamie Mitchell - who called police after the shooting on the New Mexico film set - filed the suit.

Her lawyer accused the actor of "playing Russian roulette" when he fired the gun without checking it.

Her lawsuit is claiming assault, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and deliberate infliction of harm, and is requesting unspecified damages.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-59328040

Winrar

This is one of those shitshows where more details that come out of it the worse the situation actually turns out to be.

I'd have more sympathy for Baldwin if he was at least respectful enough to follow basic firearm handling precautions.

Last edited:

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I certainly feel reassured by that suavely edited ad scored like a sexy Hollywood trailer that this thing is going to be tasteful and respectful, befitting a tragedy that happened mere months ago. Good work everyone.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I certainly feel reassured by that suavely edited ad scored like a sexy Hollywood trailer that this thing is going to be tasteful and respectful, befitting a tragedy that happened mere months ago. Good work everyone.
Wasn’t it only about 4 weeks ago?

The ad is set up like a gripping Netflix documentary about to be released…lit is shameless

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Surprised a full feature film is not already in the works.

Brophs

The One and Only
Plus if there were any foreign people involved in the incident Alec Baldwin’s wife can play them. She’s really good at accents.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Well the only thing that was actually said in this clip is that he definitely didnt point a gun at someone and pull the trigger (despite someone being killed as a result of having a gun pointed at them and then, apparently magically, going off).

That's definitely not a narrative being set up to support a defense.

I mean, guns assume autonomy all the time right? Self aiming mechanisms, automatically deciding when to fire and stuff, it's not like they have, for want of a better term, a trigger.

Yeah, plus, crying!

RedDevil@84

I mean, guns assume autonomy all the time right? Self aiming mechanisms, automatically deciding when to fire and stuff, it's not like they have, for want of a better term, a trigger.
Not to forget the new "load an actual bullet instead of blanks" feature that they have now. Just like magic

Smores

Urgh what an arsehole move. No one with any sense would do this whilst a poor family is freshly grieving.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Well the only thing that was actually said in this clip is that he definitely didnt point a gun at someone and pull the trigger (despite someone being killed as a result of having a gun pointed at them and then, apparently magically, going off).

That's definitely not a narrative being set up to support a defense.

Yeah, plus, crying!
Begs the question - if he didn't, then who did.
Hardly going to be difficult to answer. They were making a film weren't they.

Wilt

Baldwin now insists he didn’t fire the gun.

I’d have thought ballistics would match the bullet with the gun used by Baldwin.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Baldwin now insists he didn’t fire the gun.

I’d have thought ballistics would match the bullet with the gun used by Baldwin.
Just in case that's not a joke: I would imagine he's saying the gun fired without him deliberately pulling the trigger. Not that he's being framed. :lol:

Wilt

Just in case that's not a joke: I would imagine he's saying the gun fired without him deliberately pulling the trigger. Not that he's being framed. :lol:
Apparently he’s now saying he didn’t pull the trigger :houllier:

Time to bring in Lieutenant Columbo …he’ll find the guilty fecker!

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
It's entirely possible that he didn't. A period correct revolver would have a single action trigger, (someone clarified that it was SA above) which can easily be activated when drawing from a holster, moreso if the trigger has had any modifications to reduce the length of pull/amount of pressure required. Assuming that Baldwin was doing a cross draw (i.e. weapon holstered on the left and drawn with the right hand) it's possible that he neither pulled the trigger nor aimed the firearm at anyone intentionally. Based on when an accidental discharge like that would typically happen (i.e. just as the gun comes out of the holster), it's feasible that Ms. Hutchins was at 7 or 8 o'clock position in relation to Baldwin.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
It's entirely possible that he didn't. A period correct revolver would have a single action trigger, (someone clarified that it was SA above) which can easily be activated when drawing from a holster, moreso if the trigger has had any modifications to reduce the length of pull/amount of pressure required. Assuming that Baldwin was doing a cross draw (i.e. weapon holstered on the left and drawn with the right hand) it's possible that he neither pulled the trigger nor aimed the firearm at anyone intentionally. Based on when an accidental discharge like that would typically happen (i.e. just as the gun comes out of the holster), it's feasible that Ms. Hutchins was at 7 or 8 o'clock position in relation to Baldwin.
Actually yeah, fair points.

I hadn't considered it being a period revolver.

That makes a bit more sense.