Aleksandar Mitrović | Fulham ruin his life

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Of course kids try to copy what their heroes do, go to any school in the Manchester area and you'll see kids copying Rashford's finger to the head, when I was a kid us reds copied Dennis Law's goal celebration, some copied Franny Lee's penalty winning technique, later on I saw a kid copy John McEnroe's "you cannot be serious"
Did you copy Cantona's kick?

Gazza

Did you copy Cantona's kick?
I mean, kids were absolutely mimicking Eric’s kick back then, mostly in the playground for fun. Kids ape their sports heroes in so many ways, from goal celebrations, to mannerisms (wearing your kit a la Eric or Denis Law), even to how footballers do the dustman’s blow. You didn’t start following football until the mid 00s and didn’t grow up in England so you probably weren’t really conscious of it, but it happened and I assume it still happens today. Kids would do the people’s elbow on each other copying Steve Austin for goodness sake! And I shaved my head when Becks did it, my mother cried.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
As much as Bruno's is.
Bruno's is worse than Fabinho's. The latter only puts his hands on the ref when it appeared the ref was about to blindly step into him, so it was to avoid contact. It really was a nothing thing. Bruno's was a 50/50 where the contact was minimal but it was a petulant little push, where we couldn't have complained if he had got sent off, but it also wasn't bad enough to warrant the outcry that came after it.

Fabinho - it was nothing.
Bruno - 50/50
Mitrovic - certain red and the afters meant he will get a longer ban.

There's a huge difference between each and it's ridiculous to pretend any of them are the same as another.

Crimson King

Are we really calling that a shove? The referee doesn’t even know Fabinho is there.
I don't think any United fans really think it is or that Fabinho deserved any kind of punishment. It is more similar than the Bruno incident though, especially compared to the Mitrovic red card.

We're all just fed up of how much it keeps getting brought up. There's way too many pundits using it for clickbait material at the moment, they need to just feck off. Bruno's behaviour was petulant and tiring that day, but it's over now and people need to move on. The fact that incident and the one with Bruno are even being compared, let alone being used as an excuse for why Mitrovic shouldn't get a lengthy ban, is just genuinely insulting.

If that report is true then the FA should throw the book at Fulham for being complete and utter mugs.

Crimson King

Bruno's is worse than Fabinho's. The latter only puts his hands on the ref when it appeared the ref was about to blindly step into him, so it was to avoid contact. It really was a nothing thing. Bruno's was a 50/50 where the contact was minimal but it was a petulant little push, where we couldn't have complained if he had got sent off, but it also wasn't bad enough to warrant the outcry that came after it.

Bruno - 50/50

There's a huge difference between each and it's ridiculous to pretend any of them are the same as another.
We could have complained because it's not red card. It's a booking and a talking to for being petulant, at most. If he was already on a yellow, then he'd have been off for 2 yellows.

Simple as that.

MadDogg

We could have complained because it's not red card. It's a booking and a talking to for being petulant, at most. If he was already on a yellow, then he'd have been off for 2 yellows.

Simple as that.
It's a petulant little push on an official. Of course it could have been a red. You can't do that. If he had been sent off for that there would have been no one to blame but himself.

Note I'm not saying it should have been a red, but it very easily could have been.

Crimson King

It's a petulant little push on an official. Of course it could have been a red. You can't do that. If he had been sent off for that there would have been no one to blame but himself.

Note I'm not saying it should have been a red, but it very easily could have been.
I'm not condoning it at all, but if that had happened then the goal posts would have massively shifted.

Mitrovic would probably be facing a ban longer than what Cantona got for kicking that fan.

Go back and retrospectively attach the same thinking to the Di Canio push all those years ago and he'd be facing prison time.

MadDogg

I'm not condoning it at all, but if that had happened then the goal posts would have massively shifted.

Mitrovic would probably be facing a ban longer than what Cantona got for kicking that fan.

Go back and retrospectively attach the same thinking to the Di Canio push all those years ago and he'd be facing prison time.
I don't see it. What goal posts are being massively shifted?

Bruno - borderline red card that could have resulted in a 3 game ban.
Mitrovic - definite red and will probably be a 7-10 game ban. But it's not so much the push itself that adds the extra time, more so the aggressive stalking of the ref before and after it.
Di Canio - definite red and these days would probably get a 12-18 game ban. A bit of an increase, but it's not like anything dramatic has changed.

Mmm-Qatarian

Anyone comparing Bruno's incident to Mitrovic is a fecking moron not worth engaging with. Seriously, the two aren't even in the same stratosphere of severity.

The only irritating thing about it is that because the pundits make a controversy out of literally every single fecking refereeing call that we benefit from, no matter how blatant it was, I suspect we might now not get some of the 50/50 calls for a few weeks to avoid those idiotic accusations of "bias" towards us.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Are we really calling that a shove? The referee doesn’t even know Fabinho is there.
I think what the adults are trying to do is indicate that there are nuances to every situation. None of them are comparable to each other. Those arguing that the Bruno and the linesman one is the same thing are clutching at straws and really just making themselves look stupid.

padzilla

Hipster
I'm not convinced that saying someone somewhere else got away with something vaguely similar in the past is the strongest stance to take when facing a disciplinary hearing.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
:houllier: Was Bruno gesticulating and cussing the ref aggressively in his face before shoving him? Bruno's was just a tap in comparison. The ref has every right to send Mitrovic off there.

Adding Bruno's incident for comparison:
The editing of that clip actually makes it look a little worse for Bruno, particularly because the linesman's actions are not shown entirely. He grabs Bruno twice, though the clip only shows one, and then cuts away.

If Bruno does that unprovoked, it's a definite red, rightly so. The linesman making two attempts to grab him somewhat offsets what Bruno did. Players shouldn't be handling officials, but officials shouldn't be handling players either.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
:houllier: Was Bruno gesticulating and cussing the ref aggressively in his face before shoving him? Bruno's was just a tap in comparison. The ref has every right to send Mitrovic off there.

Adding Bruno's incident for comparison:
You should really spoiler that kind of video. The violence from Bruno to the lino makes it nearly a snuff film.

Halftrack

It's obvious that it wasn't the shove alone that resulted in the sending off, but his aggressive demeanor and no doubt the shouting of abuse that accompanied it.

Bruno gave the lino a petulant little shove while heading away from him, and the lino seemed to barely notice it. Had Bruno stuck around to be aggro and shout abuse in his face, then yeah, I could maybe see a similarity.

Edwards6

Can't believe people are seriously comparing what Bruno did to what Mitrovic did :houllier: no wonder refs are scared to give us anything when there's so much hysteria even when they give a correct decision like this red card

That's exactly the same as the Fernandes push. A petulant "for fecks sake" but nothing aggressive in it. Neither are a red card, both a yellow at most. Totally different to Mitrovic who i'd guess will get 10 games for what he did.

Doracle

Can't believe people are seriously comparing what Bruno did to what Mitrovic did :houllier: no wonder refs are scared to give us anything when there's so much hysteria even when they give a correct decision like this red card
I heard a journalist on Sky earlier say that the inaction in respect of Bruno had “allowed this to happen”. Erm, no - what caused this to happen was Mitrovic going nuts about a correct decision and it wasn’t allowed, hence he got sent off and will be banned for a long time. Talk about having the wrong focus.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Every single tweet about this from journalists and the like is is met with a shitstorm of "WHaT aBOuT BrUNo?!?" nonsense underneath. It's understandable why we are so fecked as a society when agenda driven whataboutism is a substitute for nuance and common sense.

All this as well off the back of the most blatant pen and red card you'll ever see. And what was the reaction to that...? Oh yeah "what about this push earlier on the game?" Grow up ffs.

Strelok

Bruno - 50/50

Agree. Bruno might got a yellow at max and that's all. Even a yellow is too much imo. It was like a little pat on the back of someone to say 'come on mate'. But he shouldn't do that imo some ref might take that as a serious offense.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Not that it really matters, but that's Fernandes the closest to him f I'm not mistaken.

Amazing how not only does Fabhino gets away with his misdemeanors, but also any real spotlight for them afterwards afterwards aswell.
It's because no one cares about Liverpool like they do United.

Fully Fledged

I don't think he actually needed to have said anything, it's just a rule you can't interfere with the ref reviewing footage.
Reed the tweet above. He is accused of using foul and abusive language to both the ref and 4th official and throwing a water bottle at the 4th official.

Herman Toothrot

I don't understand why everyone is so keen to join the queue to stick the knife in on Mitrovic. Five games max, it's not as bad as people pretend.

But won't somebody think of the children?!

Yeah, we need to look at why refs are getting assaulted at grassroots level, but as far as I'm aware, no new incidents have been reported since Sunday evening. It goes much deeper than this little shove.

Pretty piss poor of Fulham to drag Fernandes into this though.

pascell

I think the manner in which he carried on aggressively approaching the referee after pushing him is going to see him get a lengthy ban.

I actually felt at one point the ref might blow the whistle and walk off the pitch and I wouldn't have blamed him, idiotic from Mitrovic.

JagUTD

If Bruno was lucky to escape a ban, then was the linesman also lucky not to face a lengthy ban?

As I see it, nobody thinks Mitrovic shouldn't face an extended ban but 10 games or the ridiculous 9 month suggestion from some clown today add nothing of value.

Top levels referees have been handed a fantastic opportunity to deflect from the quite frankly embarrassing performances in recent seasons. Had they been held to account for their continuous mistakes, there might not be such vitriol towards them at times.

With that said, you can not cross a line and Mitrovic did. 6 games will be more than enough with an increased ban if he repeats it.

The issues at grassroots, particularly the genuine violence and assaults need to be a matter for the police and courts, with severe punishments dished out as it it didn't take place on a football field. I think top level refs trying to compare themselves to that a bit of a piss take tbh.

And the comparison with rugby. As far as I know, referees in Rugby don't make anywhere near the same level of mistakes as those in football.

Member 125398

Every single tweet about this from journalists and the like is is met with a shitstorm of "WHaT aBOuT BrUNo?!?" nonsense underneath. It's understandable why we are so fecked as a society when agenda driven whataboutism is a substitute for nuance and common sense.

All this as well off the back of the most blatant pen and red card you'll ever see. And what was the reaction to that...? Oh yeah "what about this push earlier on the game?" Grow up ffs.
Now that's what I call whataboutism.

Fr. Todd Unctious

Even Dermot Gallagher said there isn't a huge deal about the Bruno thing because the assistant ref touched him first and as we've seen previously Gallagher is usually one to circle the wagons when it comes to refs and assistant refs

MadDogg

I don't understand why everyone is so keen to join the queue to stick the knife in on Mitrovic. Five games max, it's not as bad as people pretend.

But won't somebody think of the children?!

Yeah, we need to look at why refs are getting assaulted at grassroots level, but as far as I'm aware, no new incidents have been reported since Sunday evening. It goes much deeper than this little shove.

Pretty piss poor of Fulham to drag Fernandes into this though.
It wasn't so much the push. That was a red card but if he'd just accepted that he would have got the basic 3 game ban and it would have been the end of it. It was the way he aggressively went after the ref afterwards in a way that did look like he was on the verge of physically assaulting him that can't be accepted. That is what is going to see him get a more significant ban.