Alessia Russo | back in training

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike

One more signing for deadline day! 21 year old English forward from the US college team North Carolina Tar Heels, and currently in the England squad.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
While Press being world class striker signing on it's own, now with Russo it looks like a legit overhaul.

Stoked for a season.

Grande

Wow. Ona Batlle, Lucy Staniforth, Tobin Heath, Christina Press, Ivana Fuso and now. Alessia Russo. That’s what I call a window.

Three promising youngsters and three routined players. Fergiesque.

Gordon S

So, how many strikers do we have now? 5 if you count Toone as one?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
For the cynics out there. She's not just saying she's from a family of United fans.

From an article about her, written back in 2017, just after she'd moved to the US and she was written about as a star for the future.

https://www.ourgamemag.com/2017/11/08/remember-name-alessia-russo/

Some great photos of young Alessia in there, probably obtained from her dad. Like this one for example.

Himannv

So, how many strikers do we have now? 5 if you count Toone as one?
They're forwards really. Heath, Press, Russo, Ross, Siggy, Galton. Also we have Toone, Fuso, Hanson, and James who can play there. Fairly sure some of them will drop into midfield in some games, particularly the latter 4.

ImmortalJoker66

Supports
Trinidad and Tobago
They're forwards really. Heath, Press, Russo, Ross, Siggy, Galton. Also we have Toone, Fuso, Hanson, and James who can play there. Fairly sure some of them will drop into midfield in some games, particularly the latter 4.
If Casey puts out the same 11 like she did against Arsenal with maybe a few tweaks we could get something out of the Derby before looking forward to the League Cup fixture

Andersons Dietician

She had surgery today on a hamstring injury.

Must be pretty bad if it required surgery. Often wondered if the girls get the same medical treatment and physio that the boys get. Like do they get to use the medical facilities at Carrington and all the perks and treatments that I’m sure are available there. Full physio plans or is their recovery just left up to them.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Must be pretty bad if it required surgery. Often wondered if the girls get the same medical treatment and physio that the boys get. Like do they get to use the medical facilities at Carrington and all the perks and treatments that I’m sure are available there. Full physio plans or is their recovery just left up to them.
United, according to Casey, are good on this. Though the team have their own physios, fitness trainer, doctor etc - they can use the club's other medical and rehab facilities as well.

It's not the same at every club though, some clubs leave it up to the players to get surgery and rehab for injuries like ACLs through the NHS. The standard FA contract let's them sack players who are unavailable for more than three months - though the WSL1 clubs probably won't do that now.

I suspect one issue for Alessia at the moment in the rehab front will be over the covid controls. Recovery is always a boring/lonely thing and it might be even worse at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if she decides to head home to her family until after Christmas - with us arranging physio for her there.

madi5h

has anyone heard how long she is expected to be out for? an injury like this could take as much 6 mths but can be alot less too, hopefully the latter as i believe she was
the best of our summer signings

kundalini

Going by the latest training pics on Getty Images, Alessia and Lucy Staniforth appear to be training away from the main group, though both are working with a coach on the grass.

Last edited:

kundalini

Now training with the somewhat depleted, main group. A few pics of her on Getty Images. Also Lucy Staniforth back with the main group.