Alex Ferguson filmed saying Ronaldo should have started

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
You must be joking. Fergie would lose here hands down.
Nah, Ole is romanticized as a player but his stature is miniscule compared to SAF. One created an empire at Manchester United the other was a loveable super sub.

Jackal981

People are defending Ole over SAF.... This is clown-tier. SAF never rested his key players in important games. You don't bench Ronaldo. You don't bench a guy that had scored 5 goals from 5 games. Cavani this, Cavani that, if Ole wasn't so hung up enough on his beloved 4-2-3-1 with McFred, they can both play in this team. Every rival fan is laughing at us and our manager and people here would jump at the first opportunity to defend him, even against SAF. It's mind-boggling to see.
Sometimes I wonder are they Ole fans or United fans. SAF is spot on. Everton is not a relegation fodder (I dont even think we can beat a fodder now) and that team selection was horrendous.

Ixion

SAF should've actaully kept his mouth shut.

Doesnt matter if he's right or not, stirring up unnecessary headlines when there's pressure on the manager isnt " the united way "
I doubt Sir Alex was aware someone was filming it to throw it on social media. He wasn't trying to stir anything.

KeanoMagicHat

Well he is right. Ronaldo should start every game. I think Ole has made a massive error in benching him. Ole should be playing his best players. That means Ronaldo and Cavani up top. He needs to ditch this 4231 before he gets sacked.
So drop Bruno Fernandes then?

RUCK4444

I doubt Sir Alex was aware someone was filming it to throw it on social media. He wasn't trying to stir anything.
This. You can clearly see he’s having what he thinks is a private chat with a celebrity fan.

Knowing how Sir Alex works he would never attract unwanted attention from the press, he’s probably spoken with Ole already to confirm the same.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
SAF knows what hes doing and saying it to a famous person in public he knows hes getting filmed.

Is the rational simply because Ronaldo came back because of his call or is he also now putting pressure on Ole, comes following Neville’s comments.
Well considering we lost 2 points after Ronaldo came on, the valid argument is that Cavani should have stayed on. The other argument is that the game would have turned out differently if Ronaldo had started, which is true. We could have lost 3-0. Or won 9-0.

That's the thing about introducing a variable, it changes everything

Its easy to argue when you sit with the outcome in your hand

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
He cannot start every game, we need to rotate. It wasnt the biggest problem that day.
This. I don't think there was anything wrong in giving Cavani the start that he clearly deserves. People also need to remember that Ronaldo is 36 and despite being a freak of nature, it will take it out of you at that age - his performance vs Villarreal was really poor (goal aside) and he looked visibly leggy.

I also read that Ronaldo very rarely played 3 games in a week at Juve for this exact reason - it will clearly happen again this season and so it should - Cavani deserves to start games this season.

The main issue with team selection was not no Ronaldo but the midfield that was fielded!

RUCK4444

You must be joking. Fergie would lose here hands down.
Don’t be silly now.

This idea that Ole is worshipped is absolute fiction that is dreamt up by frustrated teenage Ole-out fans who don’t like people who have a different opinion to them.

Feck sake I’ve defended Ole continuously but he’s Ole not somebody like feckin Cantona who would have some of us under his spell by the sheer scale of his legend.

People think Ole is backed because he scored a goal in the CL final, come off it.

KeanoMagicHat

Ferguson was a great manager and a much better football mind that everyone here. But also he doesn't and didn't get everything right in his career.
People are defending Ole over SAF.... This is clown-tier. SAF never rested his key players in important games. You don't bench Ronaldo. You don't bench a guy that had scored 5 goals from 5 games. Cavani this, Cavani that, if Ole wasn't so hung up enough on his beloved 4-2-3-1 with McFred, they can both play in this team. Every rival fan is laughing at us and our manager and people here would jump at the first opportunity to defend him, even against SAF. It's mind-boggling to see.
Of course he did, on several occasions over his career.

Last edited:

Foxbatt

Don’t be silly now.

This idea that Ole is worshipped is absolute fiction that is dreamt up by frustrated teenage Ole-out fans who don’t like people who have a different opinion to them.

Feck sake I’ve defended Ole continuously but he’s Ole not somebody like feckin Cantona who would have some of us under his spell by the sheer scale of his legend.

People think Ole is backed because he scored a goal in the CL final, come off it.
I presume you have read all the comments on it here?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Not all of them were crucial, but yes he's 5 in 5. He also stunk up the place vs Villa (and Villarreal before he got his goal).

He's 36 and his minutes will need managing, Ronaldo or not. It would've been his third game in a week and we desperately lack energy in the side when he plays. It wasn't an issue, and he still had the opportunity to make an impact off the bench, which he didn't.
He is heading to international break after that, really no need to rest him, at least from us.

Unless we wanted to manage him well and keep him fresh for his international games for Portugal.

Wilt

SAF should've actaully kept his mouth shut.

Doesnt matter if he's right or not, stirring up unnecessary headlines when there's pressure on the manager isnt " the united way "
Yeah that’s the spirit, our greatest manager shouldn’t have an opinion and should keep his mouth shut.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I presume you have read all the comments on it here?
I have read a lot of comments on Ole and with one exception I have not read that anyone would put Ole (or any other ex United player or manager apart from Sir Matt) above or equal to Fergie - however reading Ronaldo threads I assume some numpties would choose Ronaldo above Fergie.

The exception I mentioned: I remember one poster in the past writing Keane > SAF, which I found weird despite Keane being my favourite United player ever.

On this thread you could ask SAF when Ronaldo is 42 if he should start every game and the answer would be “absolutely, no doubt about it” - doesn’t mean that it should be done. Ronaldo should indeed not start all the time.

Andersonson

Your not campaigning in the UK right now with the insulation gang by any chance are you?
Not at the moment no, but hit me up and we can do some work together!
Yeah that’s the spirit, our greatest manager shouldn’t have an opinion and should keep his mouth shut.
He's still appointed by the club. Doesnt look good when United-representatives talkes down the manager.

SAF wouldn't be happy if Woodward talked like that when he was managing either.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Love Fergie but not sure he's right on this one.

He looked tired against Vilarreal and Cavani came on looking sharp. People moan at Ole for not being a strong manager but that was a big decision. I don't think it was the wrong one either.

Let's be honest what did Ronaldo do when he came on fresh?

The Hilton

Talk about taking an off the cuff remark and blowing it up out of proportion. Besides, Fergie used to rotate players plenty, nobody started every match for him.

Anyway, the problem wasn't not starting Ronaldo, it was naivety when dealing with counter attacks (especially from our own corners, which is turning into a very frustrating recurring theme).

This thread is worthless without a clip or twitter link with clip embedded.

Ixion

Sir Alex did rotate players. A good example is when Ole and Teddy came in for the FA Cup Semi-Final Replay against Arsenal, Teddy starting the final game against Spurs over Cole, Yorke not starting the FA Cup Final etc.

However our fixture congestion at that point was bonkers whereas here we were playing before an International Break.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
I think if Sir Alex wants to drop some outrageous lines like that, he should always do so while wearing a hooded costume, Sith-style to maintain his anonymity.
Until he ultimately unleashes Order 99 on the current regime, and takes over again, that is.

BlueHaze

I think if Sir Alex wants to drop some outrageous lines like that, he should always do so while wearing a hooded costume, Sith-style to maintain his anonymity.
Until he ultimately unleashes Order 99 on the current regime, and takes over again, that is.
:lol::lol::lol:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I’d have started him, only because we don’t have a game this week. Who are we keeping him fresh for, Portugal? feck that.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I’d have started him, only because we don’t have a game this week. Who are we keeping him fresh for, Portugal? feck that.
He looked tired against Villarreal.
Everton was his 3rd game in 8 days. He will also play for Portugal. If he gets injured with them (due to being overplayed) and misses a few weeks afterwards United will also suffer.
Not starting or resting players is about so much more than just about the gap between two games.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
The old man is just trying to sustain a conversation with a stranger, Jesus Christ people, have you never uttered clichéed standard phrases without exactly meaning them, just to say something?

Leave Ferguson alone, leave Solskjaer alone. Move on.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
The Great Man is right imo. Ronaldo might be 36 but he starts this game. Why are we resting him? For internationals? If he's fit enough to come on for 35 minutes why not start him and sub him if and when needed? He's a player whose presence intimidates the opposition and he can be invisible for 89 minutes and score in the last. He should start every league and champions league game unless injured.

RedDevil@84

So the media will now ask Ole how he feels about what SAF said and Ole will claim everyone in the team is a superstar.

Josh 76

I could have sworn we were winning that game until Ronaldo came on.
Haha.
It’s getting ridiculous. Ronaldo is not the Ronaldo of 2008. Some fans are so deluded. It’s not a signing Utd needed, but now we have him, it’s going to cause so many problems. I’m sure Ronaldo will be a good squad player, but to suggest he needs to start every game is a joke.

As for Fergie saying he should have started, doesn’t mean Ole was wrong. It’s just an opinion of someone who chose Moyes to be the manager of Utd.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Fact is that SAF would have sold a 36 year Ronaldo to give a chance to Greenwood to play.

3 goals in 3 games at the start. Zilch ever since Van Nistlerooy re-joined.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Fact is that SAF would have sold a 36 year Ronaldo to give a chance to Greenwood to play.

3 goals in 3 games at the start. Zilch ever since Van Nistlerooy re-joined.
Fergie loves Ronaldo so much that it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he considered managing again. This is the same Fergie who didn't even want to be a distraction when Moyes was manager that he didn't attend games for a while and now suddenly he's on film offering his opinion against the current manager. His loyalties lie firmly with Ronaldo.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Fergie loves Ronaldo so much that it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he considered managing again. This is the same Fergie who didn't even want to be a distraction when Moyes was manager that he didn't attend games for a while and now suddenly he's on film offering his opinion against the current manager. His loyalties lie firmly with Ronaldo.
Ultimately SAF is a winner. If he thinks he can win the title with a 36 year old striker playing every single game as a starter for United in all competitions then so be it.

I'm just not sure. Love is one thing but SAF would put that need for winning first and foremost.

He hasn’t said anything that could undermine a manager for 8 years. Whether it was Moyes, LVG, Jose, or Ole in his first 2 full seasons. But now it could be about the fact that SAF played a role in getting Ronaldo to rejoin, or it could just be that standards are expected to be met as this is be best squad we’ve had in a very long time. I think it’s the latter.

Flytan

Doesn't matter, should be able to beat Everton with *checks notes as to what other superstar is starting in place over Ronaldo* Cavani since their best players are injured. I have plenty of issues with Ole but Ronaldo not starting every game isn't one of them.