Alex Ferguson filmed saying Ronaldo should have started

SAF knows what hes doing and saying it to a famous person in public he knows hes getting filmed.

Is the rational simply because Ronaldo came back because of his call or is he also now putting pressure on Ole, comes following Neville’s comments.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Well he is right. Ronaldo should start every game. I think Ole has made a massive error in benching him. Ole should be playing his best players. That means Ronaldo and Cavani up top. He needs to ditch this 4231 before he gets sacked.

Abraxas

I don't think there is any agenda behind it, simply an off the cuff comment any number of people probably made on seeing the lineup. Probably just careless. If Alex Ferguson had reservations about the manager I struggle to believe that talking to a UFC fighter would be his chosen mechanism for bringing about change - does that make any sense at all?

Yes it's Alex Ferguson but he doesn't necessarily have access to the data the management do with Ronaldo. He is going to have to be managed, unfortunately. There are going to be games he can't play and of those games we are probably going to be a weaker side and yes we're going to cock up results. We can't always harp back to Ronaldo every time, we need to get results without him.

tomaldinho1

Ferguson wants BLOOD as he does NOT hold back and throws Ole TO THE DOGS with his SCATHING ATTACK as he LETS RIP with NO HOLDS BARRED and OMG it is CANDID.

RonaldoVII

Sir Captain Hindsight. You could see the logic in not starting him given recent weeks and how Cavani has been pushing to start.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
No need to analyze every word to find some inner meaning. He just had a casual chat which was off the record and said his opinion.

Flexdegea

SAF knows what hes doing and saying it to a famous person in public he knows hes getting filmed.

Is the rational simply because Ronaldo came back because of his call or is he also now putting pressure on Ole, comes following Neville’s comments.

Why does everyone over think every little thing, like it's some sort of motive and plot behind everything that happens.

acnumber9

You can tell it’s international week when this is even making news.

Infra-red

Despite the midweek game, it was rather odd not to start him given that there's now an international break for recovery.

Zen86

Better off ignoring it, Fergie's not progressive or modern enough to know what he's talking about.

tomaldinho1

You can tell it’s international week when this even making news.
We should track posts made in the breaks, there have been some good ones already.

Someone in the Donny thread said Ole is deliberately not playing him because he's so bad his price would drop if other managers saw him play and we want to sell him :lol:

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
The worry I have with Ole is the bigger personalities in the dressing room the more he’s trying to impose himself as a big personality.

For one, Ronaldo should be on penalties. Yes Bruno has a great conversion rate but it will give the greatest goal scorer ever confidence to be scoring penalties and he would be much happier as he’s all about numbers. Could see a scenario where Bruno misses one coming a mile off. It was Ole trying to show that he always has the final decision, as Ronaldo would definitely have demanded to take pens.

He seems to be making decisions for show rather than making actual footballing decisions, like simply playing your best players. There’s no way Ronaldo should have been on the bench Saturday after scoring the winner Wednesday. He’s a physical machine.

Still, he the manager and I do think he is looking out for his players but some of his decisions are annoying.

acnumber9

We should track posts made in the breaks, there have been some good ones already.

Someone in the Donny thread said Ole is deliberately not playing him because he's so bad his price would drop if other managers saw him play and we want to sell him :lol:
It’s not just posts in here. I got a notification from The Athletic about it earlier. The desperation for clicks around Ronaldo in particular is insane.

ShinjiNinja26

Sir Captain Hindsight. You could see the logic in not starting him given recent weeks and how Cavani has been pushing to start.
The guys scored 5 in 5 appearances, you don’t drop him to the bench. It’s Ronaldo, he might be 36 but he takes better care of himself than 99% of people, he’ll know his own body and if he didn’t feel up to starting I’m sure he’d have told Ole and judging by his reaction after the game I’m sure he’d rather have started.

Abraxas

The worry I have with Ole is the bigger personalities in the dressing room the more he’s trying to impose himself as a big personality.

For one, Ronaldo should be on penalties. Yes Bruno has a great conversion rate but it will give the greatest goal scorer ever confidence to be scoring penalties and he would be much happier as he’s all about numbers. Could see a scenario where Bruno misses one coming a mile off. It was Ole trying to show that he always has the final decision, as Ronaldo would definitely have demanded to take pens.

He seems to be making decisions for show rather than making actual footballing decisions, like simply playing your best players. There’s no way Ronaldo should have been on the bench Saturday after scoring the winner Wednesday. He’s a physical machine.

Still, he the manager and I do think he is looking out for his players but some of his decisions are annoying.
I don't think the Bruno penalty decision was anything to do with show. Confidence works both ways, stripping Bruno of penalties wouldn't have been an enjoyable experience for the player and he's also a key man. If Ole even made the decision then isn't it far more explainable that he made it based on the raw data and not wanting to change a situation that was previously working? I think you're just speaking with hindsight and not logic here...

SER19

I actually believe Ronaldo shouldn't start every week given his age and our other options. On the back of a 95th minute winner buzz and 5 in 5, with an international break coming, i can't believe he didn't start vs Everton

The Firestarter

It really wouldn't as there would only ever be one winner
Ole needs to tread very lightly when he is inevitably asked about this next presser. Best strategy is looking straight ahead with a frozen grin, until time runs out.

youngrell

Ole has already stated in the past that penalty decisions are left up to the players on the field (among the designated takers).

CM10

Eh. We played better with Cavani on the pitch anyway, and looked markedly better when he came on in the Villarreal game too.

This isn't the Ronaldo show, I'm already getting a bit tired of it. He can't expect to walk around the pitch for 80 minutes every game and throw his arms up like a diva anytime something bad happens. It's a team sport.

Giggsy13

Sir Alex thought it was a private conversation and likely didn’t know it was being recorded, but the legend is 100% right.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Ronaldo should be benched some games.

In a pressure home game following an unacceptable defeat to Villa, on a weekend where City and/or Pool were guaranteed to drop points, with an international break coming up.... yeah that was fecking idiotic.

RonaldoVII

The guys scored 5 in 5 appearances, you don’t drop him to the bench. It’s Ronaldo, he might be 36 but he takes better care of himself than 99% of people, he’ll know his own body and if he didn’t feel up to starting I’m sure he’d have told Ole and judging by his reaction after the game I’m sure he’d rather have started.
What player doesn't want to start every game, regardless of if they can or not? You think all players retire when they've had enough rather than being physically unable?

Nobody knows conversations between him and the coaches or how he was in training etc. It's all very well saying he should start every game when we're on the outside looking in. It's not always black and white.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Except we were 1-0 up prior to Ronaldo coming on. It was and continues to be a tactical issue for the most part as prior to and after the substitution we didn't create many decisive chances. I'd understand this sentiment if our starting forwards had blown multiple chances which Ronaldo would've scored from but that was not the case. Now we can keep changing lineups or buying players, but the root cause remains the same.
I do believe that with a tactically flexible manager, our attackers could look much better than they do and we'd be surprised how much quality we have upfront.

Danish Wizard

Sir Alex also used to rotate his players. Also the best ones at times.
A lot of people wanted to give Cavani a start, and he is a great player. A good squad should be able to rotate a bit like that.

Giggsy13

Eh. We played better with Cavani on the pitch anyway, and looked markedly better when he came on in the Villarreal game too.

This isn't the Ronaldo show, I'm already getting a bit tired of it. He can't expect to walk around the pitch for 80 minutes every game and throw his arms up like a diva anytime something bad happens. It's a team sport.
The diva who’s a serial winner with more champions league medals than our club? If he’s demanding better from some of the bluffers in our squad I’m all for it.