Alex Ferguson filmed saying Ronaldo should have started

Josh 76

You’re not writing it Arabic but we don’t know if you tried taking Arabic, Spanish, Italian, German lessons only for all to be fully booked so then settled on writing in English. With SAF we know Moyes wasn’t his first choice and was closer to last resort after, so those that use the “SAF chose Moyes” slur are being intellectually dishonest with the truth.
Who was SAF first and second and third choices ? Or was their more before his last resort ?

(This is a serious question, as I am intrigued that you know some thing I don’t)

Flytan

Who was SAF first and second and third choices ? Or was their more before his last resort ?

(This is a serious question, as I am intrigued that you know some thing I don’t)
Yes there were reports he met with Pep in New York on one of our preseason tours and the subject of him taking over came up.

RORY65

Damn I was young in 99 but I can't ever remember or imagine Scholes being benched. In favour of who? Butt and Keane?
I was only 7 so young enough myself but Butt often played alongside Keane (he started away to Inter and Juve ahead of Scholes in the CL knockouts as well as the home league game against Arsenal).

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Sir Alex isn’t wrong though. Should have started Ronaldo seeing as he’s away on international duty against Qatar or something.

Fergie was having none of it when Khabib made the point about him being subbed on :lol: Like you said the glance down was basically him saying "this is what happens".

We did inexplicably rest our top goalscorer and assist maker right before an international break.
If a director gave that look down to express disappointment when discussing my work I’d consider a career change :lol:

United in sin

Some of the comments towards Fergie in here are downright disrespectful. I don't think SAF is Ole out, but he definitely wasn't pleased with Ronaldo's ommision.

I also think he's astutely aware of the presence of cameras and other recording devices and how every word he utters in public is heavily scrutinized.

It was small talk yes, but when God whispers the world listens and he knows it. It's unprecedented as they're no other similar examples of him even subtly (and publicly) criticizing a managerial decision at OT in the time since his retirement. I don't think resting Ronaldo was a bad decision mind

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Whilst that is a fair point, the problem is putting the faith in Ole. Yes he has got this to a decent squad and generally improved the mood but honestly has shown nothing in terms of actual football to make anyone really believe we are moving forward in nearly 3 years. If we even saw a slight cohesive system then that's something.

I don't want to back Ole when I don't think he has shown enough to take us further forward. He has done well to get this far, but I can't see him taking us further
Oh I don’t disagree with what you’re saying at all. It’s just that whoever the current manager is, the focus has got to be on them exclusively. Fergie has written his chapter.

lex talionis

This was not the occasion to drop Ronaldo. What’s done is done but I hope we don’t see Ole keeping Ronaldo fresh for NT duty again.

SonyaCross493

The worry I have with Ole is the bigger personalities in the dressing room the more he’s trying to impose himself as a big personality.

For one, Ronaldo should be on penalties. Yes Bruno has a great conversion rate but it will give the greatest goal scorer ever confidence to be scoring penalties and he would be much happier as he’s all about numbers. Could see a scenario where Bruno misses one coming a mile off. It was Ole trying to show that he always has the final decision, as Ronaldo would definitely have demanded to take pens.

He seems to be making decisions for show rather than making actual footballing decisions, like simply playing your best players. There’s no way Ronaldo should have been on the bench Saturday after scoring the winner Wednesday. He’s a physical machine.

Still, he the manager and I do think he is looking out for his players but some of his decisions are annoying.
Agree with this. Ronaldo probably feels mistreated by Ole/the club (not the fans the fans love Ronaldo and treat him like a King)

I think the penalty situation and now resting Ronaldo has made him become unhappy or atleast question his decision to come back. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but it feels like Ronaldo feels marginalised (his reaction after the match Saturday and no social media reaction to the bad result). Ole could've handled it much better. Bruno said after the game on Saturday he was still on penalties even after his miss which I guess pissed Ronaldo off even more as he isn't getting a chance even when the penalty taker misses.

One thing for sure, I think if Zidane walks in the door the first thing he will do is he will put his arm around Ronaldo, tell him he's his main-man and he will be back on penalty duties, starting every game and possibly Zidane's Captain building the team around Ronaldo to get the best out of him with "trojans" around him like Sancho and Lingard starting more games to create chances. You need to get your best player on-side not alienate them. United are not winning anything if Ronaldo isn't motivated, happy enjoying his football and going on a mad run of form. And that comes with scoring goals penalties included.

But we shall see. People forget that the reason left Juventus was because they was in a similar situation to United. But atleast he WAS feeling loved like the main-man there taking the penalties and starting every-game as he knows his own body. What's stopping Ronaldo from leaving United next summer if things don't change? He doesn't have time to waste at his age he doesn't want his career going out on a whimper it's sad. The guy has pride.

Ronaldo is sensitive and Ole can't just treat him like "another player" it's just asking for trouble with an underlying bubbling of discontent waiting to boil over it's inevitable if you continue to marginalise a player with a massive ego (rightly so one of if not the greatest of all time). As we seen it on Saturday with Ronaldo sulking off the pitch. Yes partly the result but I also think he's not happy with not taking penalties and not starting the game as he feels like he knows his own body. A win and Ronaldo goal masks it but we seen it laid bare with a bad result and no Ronaldo goal the short fuse.

They'll be more trouble ahead if United continue to get bad results it'll be like a cancer growing. That's the price you pay for buying Ronaldo. You either go all-in with Ronaldo or you don't buy him we knew that before signing the player so you can't blame Ronaldo if he feels mistreated. You can't just use him as a commercial signing as the main-man and then expect him to be happy with a different role he's use to his whole career. There's no halfway house with Ronaldo and most people said that before signing him they expected to walk through the door, be treated like the main-man, take over penalties and free-kicks straight away etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sultan

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Agree with this. Ronaldo probably feels mistreated by Ole/the club.

I think the penalty situation and now resting Ronaldo has made him become unhappy or atleast question his decision to come back. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but it feels like Ronaldo feels marginalised (his reaction after the match Saturday and no social media reaction to the bad result). Ole could've handled it much better. Bruno said after the game on Saturday he was still on penalties even after his miss which I guess pissed Ronaldo off even more as he isn't getting a chance even when the penalty taker misses.

One thing for sure, I think if Zidane walks in the door the first thing he will do is he will put his arm around Ronaldo, tell him he's his main-man and he will be back on penalty duties, starting every game and possibly Zidane's Captain building the team around Ronaldo to get the best out of him with "trojans" around him like Sancho and Lingard starting more games to create chances. You need to get your best player on-side not alienate them. United are not winning anything if Ronaldo isn't motivated, happy enjoying his football and going on a mad run of form. And that comes with scoring goals penalties included.

But we shall see. People forget that the reason left Juventus was because they was in a similar situation to United. But atleast he WAS feeling loved like the main-man there taking the penalties and starting every-game as he knows his own body. What's stopping Ronaldo from leaving United next summer if things don't change? He doesn't have time to waste at his age he doesn't want his career going out on a whimper it's sad. The guy has pride.

Ronaldo is sensitive and Ole can't just treat him like "another player" it's just asking for trouble with an underlying bubbling of discontent waiting to boil over it's inevitable if you continue to marginalise a player with a massive ego (rightly so one of if not the greatest of all time). As we seen it on Saturday with Ronaldo sulking off the pitch. Yes partly the result but I also think he's not happy with not taking penalties and not starting the game as he feels like he knows his own body. A win and Ronaldo goal masks it but we seen it laid bare with a bad result and no Ronaldo goal the short fuse.

They'll be more trouble ahead if United continue to get bad results it'll be like a cancer growing. That's the price you pay for buying Ronaldo. You either go all-in with Ronaldo or you don't buy him we knew that before signing the player so you can't blame Ronaldo if he feels mistreated. You can't just use him as a commercial signing as the main-man and then expect him to be happy with a different role he's use to his whole career. There's no halfway house with Ronaldo and most people said that before signing him they expected to walk through the door, be treated like the main-man, take over penalties and free-kicks straight away etc.
I kind of agree. No one ever dare to treat Ronaldo like that in the past, not even some of the best managers in the game (such as Ancelotti, Zidane, Mourinho, or Allegri etc). I don’t know whether it’s because Ole was one of his old mates back in their playing days so he doesn’t think Ronaldo would mind, or it’s just simply done under consent from Ronaldo (to let Bruno take penalty and rest him in the last game etc).

We are talking about a manager who has won nothing in the past and has rather poor track record, vs a player who in GOAT calibre, who was invited by the greatest manager of all time to join our club, was a club legend too, and has 350m followers in Instagram. It just doesn’t make any sense at all. If this happens at other clubs, the managers wouldn’t last long for sure.

When we have a GOAT in our team, we just have to play him as our main man, instead of treating him like any other squad players. It just doesn’t works that way. I am sure if Fergie is still our manager, he would definitely let Ronaldo take all penalties and even freekicks if he wants to, and would start him every game (only rest him on the unimportant ones). That’s how a manager should manage the GOAT, who is still having an amazing output, there’s no other way round.

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I doubt Fergie knew this was being recorded and would end up on social media - there is no way he would have wanted to undermine Ole

Plus Fergie was well known for constantly rotating the team, he did it very well and kept everyone fresh - it's something that Ole needs to improve on with too many players overplayed

FWIWorth I think it was absolutely the correct decision to rest Ronaldo, it was a fast turnaround after Villarreal and Cavani deserved a start, we were winning before he came on

Idxomer

I kind of agree. No one ever dare to treat Ronaldo like that in the past, not even some of the best managers in the game (such as Ancelotti, Zidane, Mourinho, or Allegri etc). I don’t know whether it’s because Ole was one of his old mates back in their playing days so he doesn’t think Ronaldo would mind, or it’s just simply done under consent from Ronaldo (to let Bruno take penalty and rest him in the last game etc).

We are talking about a manager who has won nothing major in the past and has rather poor track record, vs a player who in GOAT calibre, who was invited by the greatest manager of all time to join our club, was a club legend too, and has 350m followers in Instagram. It just doesn’t make any sense at all.

When we have a GOAT in our team, we just have to play him as our main man, instead of treating him like any other squad players. It just doesn’t works that way. I am sure if Fergie is still our manager, he would definitely let Ronaldo take all penalties and even freekicks if he wants to, and would start him every game (only rest him on the unimportant ones). That’s how a manager should manage the GOAT, there’s no other way round.
Zidane was resting him and keeping out of the squad in some games during his last 2 seasons with Madrid. He didn't even play any games in the Copa del Rey in his last season.

It would be better if Ole does the same if he thinks Ronaldo needs rest instead of keeping him on the bench which just attracts unwanted attention.

Real Name

Agree with this. Ronaldo probably feels mistreated by Ole/the club (not the fans the fans love Ronaldo and treat him like a King)

Much of your post is good and right but I dont think it was that dramatic. He was unhappy we lost. He would be unhappy about not starting if he sat out the whole game. Although yeah its Ronaldo, he wants to play every game the whole game but he's not exactly young anymore and the best part is we were winning before he came in.
All in all you're right about the stuff in the long run. If we continue to play poorly and Ole mixing it just for the sake of it in the mean time it wont be good and Ronaldo will be more and more unhappy and he'll either leave in the summer or something will change before tha.t

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I doubt Fergie knew this was being recorded and would end up on social media - there is no way he would have wanted to undermine Ole

Plus Fergie was well known for constantly rotating the team, he did it very well and kept everyone fresh - it's something that Ole needs to improve on with too many players overplayed

FWIWorth I think it was absolutely the correct decision to rest Ronaldo, it was a fast turnaround after Villarreal and Cavani deserved a start, we were winning before he came on
So Fergie was lying? Maybe he is Ole Out if so, creating false narratives like that :lol:

And there's no way he didn't know he was being filmed. Whoever was filming was obviously holding a phone up to him. Jesus you lot are going on as if he's a daft old man...the lengths you go to in order to defend Ole is cringeworthy. Just tells you everything you need to know about the situation.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Zidane was resting him and keeping out of the squad in some games during his last 2 seasons with Madrid. He didn't even play any games in the Copa del Rey in his last season.

It would be better if Ole does the same if he thinks Ronaldo needs rest instead of keeping him on the bench which just attracts unwanted attention.
Zidane was resting him in those league games during a period whether it’s became clear they were less likely in winning the title, for freshness in order to play him in more important CL matches at advance stages, which paid off well of course.

Ole is resting him in important games in league, for freshness on his international duty, which has basically nothing to do with us.

It’s not the same.

Last edited:

Spoony

The People's President
I'd have Khabib talking over as manager. He's mates with Ronaldo and Pogba plus the players would listen to him. He's calm and humble and he's a winner.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Is he not allowed an opinion? It's not like he said this in an interview. Fergie has said that he watches United like a fan now.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
So Fergie was lying? Maybe he is Ole Out if so, creating false narratives like that :lol:

And there's no way he didn't know he was being filmed. Whoever was filming was obviously holding a phone up to him. Jesus you lot are going on as if he's a daft old man...the lengths you go to in order to defend Ole is cringeworthy. Just tells you everything you need to know about the situation.
Who said he was lying?! Don't make up shit that I didnt say

And he may well have assumed the camera was just taking photos - in case you hadn't noticed he's an old timer and probably not particularly savvy about tech, social media etc

Regardless of what Fergie thinks about Ole, there is absolutely no way he would knowingly try to undermine the manager

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I'd have Khabib talking over as manager. He's mates with Ronaldo and Pogba plus the players would listen to him. He's calm and humble and he's a winner.
And if they don’t listen…

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Gosh how I miss Sir Alex. Just hearing him speak briefly in that video brought back memories of yesteryear

Sviken

First Neville, now SAF. Promising signs.
Things are getting pretty shaky for Ole as things stand. The reaction of Pogba after Villarreal for me was very telling. Ole is not a man that knows how to command a squad of superstars. Coincidentally, getting Ronaldo might be Ole's biggest mistake (if he even endorsed it because we know he has very little say in terms of transfers) because Ronaldo is a winner who raises expectations of not only the players, the club, but also the fans. This could prove a death sentence for Ole as he'd no longer be able to coast on the Arsenal strategy of "get top 4 until irrelevance". Now he has to deliver in terms of trophies and his track record when it comes to that is... well, we all know it.

I don't think SAF is trying to undermine Ole, he loves the club too much to try to meddle and cause rifts, but I also don't think he is very happy with Ole's management so far.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Who said he was lying?! Don't make up shit that I didnt say

And he may well have assumed the camera was just taking photos - in case you hadn't noticed he's an old timer and probably not particularly savvy about tech, social media etc

Regardless of what Fergie thinks about Ole, there is absolutely no way he would knowingly try to undermine the manager
I'm sure he's been in front of more phones videoing him than you can imagine. Give him some credit.

HailtotheKing

Any chance we could recruit Fergie to be our voice? Maybe a quiet what the f is he doing with McTominay? could be next.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yeah SAF did it on purpose, even without a camera he said it with enough people around that it would come out at some point. I won't go as far as to say that SAF is Ole out but I do believe that SAF has no issue being critical even when it concerns people he appreciates.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Every person and their donkey said start the best XI right before an international break. It’s not even hindsight.