Alex Greenwood - joins City and that's a double derby double

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Is she the best player for our women's side?
You can tell that Alex is top class, whether she's playing at leftback or in midfield (where she plays for us when we need more strength against WSL1 teams). She has that extra time/finesse on the ball and hits some lovely setpieces. In the league matches you can see she's a WSL1/England standard player.

It's arguable that we've got another couple of players in that category or on the fringe of it. Katie Zelem controls the midfield and hits some beautiful passes. A lot of our other players are youngsters who are getting better all the time - Ella Toone is an obvious example there. Lauren James has only just turned 17 and she's exceptional, an extraordinary young talent - so good on the ball, she looks like she could be world class.

Next year, I'm hoping we'll be in WSL1 and some of our other players will be proving that they can be in their national teams. At the moment, it's too hard for Zelem for example even to get a run out with England because she needs to be in WSL1 to show her level, and England are too focused on using a consistent squad ready for the World Cup in the summer.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
You can tell that Alex is top class
Thanks for the comprehensive response. I had to Google others, as I've only heard of Alex Greenwood. I find it interesting that they're all very young. If what you said has some substance, that is potentially quite the core of players.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Well Green is our top scoring player, Greenwood is a midfielder though.
Right, but top scorer doesn't translate to best player. Exhibit A - Lukaku with Man Utd. Is she in your view the biggest contender with Greenwood as the best player of our women's side? How does Well Green compare to Katie Zelem, and Ella Toone in your view? Thanks for the response.

carlosp

Have only watched the highlights since I don't live in the UK, so can't really comment. There is the Arsenal Game that's the full match on YT so will watch that and might comment on that. She looks good from what I've seen and I read that she is an international, so she must be good.

Oh, she's a defender for United and England. She was high up on the field when I've seen her hence why I thought she was a midfielder.

Mollie Green is a Midfielder.

Also seen Toone is United's top goal scorer, she's a forward.

Steven7290

You can tell that Alex is top class, whether she's playing at leftback or in midfield (where she plays for us when we need more strength against WSL1 teams). She has that extra time/finesse on the ball and hits some lovely setpieces. In the league matches you can see she's a WSL1/England standard player.

It's arguable that we've got another couple of players in that category or on the fringe of it. Katie Zelem controls the midfield and hits some beautiful passes. A lot of our other players are youngsters who are getting better all the time - Ella Toone is an obvious example there. Lauren James has only just turned 17 and she's exceptional, an extraordinary young talent - so good on the ball, she looks like she could be world class.

Next year, I'm hoping we'll be in WSL1 and some of our other players will be proving that they can be in their national teams. At the moment, it's too hard for Zelem for example even to get a run out with England because she needs to be in WSL1 to show her level, and England are too focused on using a consistent squad ready for the World Cup in the summer.
James has always been the best player on the pitch every time I saw us play, which is not a lot of times. So composed and technically gifted.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
It would be great if someone could dedicate a Youtube channel to posting individual highlights of our women's side.

ForeverRed1

We've known she was going there for a while, but always sad to see it confirmed.

On the bright side though - United media team can announce our remaining new signings now :lol:
I don’t know why I feel gutted about this .. I hope we get tobin and christen because we really need some quality.

Affirmation

It still sucks that Alex Greenwood became the first ever captain of the team, Katie Zelem should of gotten that honor from the start. I always had a weird vibe regarding Greenwood's commitment to the club, a great player of course but should never of been the captain.

Last edited:

NYAS

It still sucks that she became our first ever women's captain, Katie Zelem would of been my pick for that honor from the start. I always had a weird vibe regarding Alex Greenwood's commitment to the club , a great player of course but should never of been the captain.
The last time I watched a United women’s game Katie Zelem was having a massive laugh with one of the City players at the full-time whistle after just losing there at the Etihad. Doesn’t really strike me as captain material either.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Doesnt she play same position as Bronze

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Played for pool too hasn’t she?

NotThatSoph

I would never fault anyone leaving for Lyon, this is a lot more disappointing. Of course City is a very solid team, so it makes sense, but they're not Lyon.

It's better than going directly from United to City, at least.

Affirmation

The last time I watched a United women’s game Katie Zelem was having a massive laugh with one of the City players at the full-time whistle after just losing there at the Etihad. Doesn’t really strike me as captain material either.
I get that and Katie Zelem for as much as I like her may not be the captain we need for the long term, but she would of been far better choice for the role and made more sense than Alex Greenwood that's for sure.

Andersons Dietician

She’s dead to me now. Was a great captain and player and one hell of a left boot. But dead to me...

Last edited:

YAMS49

6 clubs in 10 years... Chelsea/Arsenal by 2022.

Should never have been named Utd captain but as the best player at that time be some distance you can understand the decision.

Grande

Wow. I'd forgotten about Everton :lol:

That's got to be a record. A terrible record. But a record nonetheless.
Loyalty is clearly not her favourite value :P

Wonder what reception she’ll get at every single game in the League cup. Probably nothing too bad as there’s a lot less aggro in the stands at the women’s game.

But Peter Beardsley will be dancing with joy.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Loyalty ain't her thing i guess, maybe that is a women's football characteristic
Oddly enough, yes it is!

Most WSL teams only went professional two years ago. Prior to that the women were mostly parttimers - so they were either students or they had other jobs. Sometimes players moved because of their real job/family commitments - sometimes because a club could get them a part-time coaching or admin job. Even now, most contracts are one or two years.

Add to that, the traditional women's football fans mostly weren't as tribal as we are (some of them aren't fans of the parent club and just don't see the rivalries), so they were more accepting of these things. It's the addition of clubs like United, whose core women's team fans are United fans, that's makes this kind of move look like madness. :lol: