Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain completes his transfer to Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarrou

Wouldn't want him here. Admittedly he's shown a bit more bottle than the rest of them at Arsenal but he's nothing special, a bit injury prone, and still hasn't figured out what his best position is at 23. Who would he replace in our starting 11? He's OK to good in a few roles but exceptional in none.

Red_toad

I'd be all for signing him. Jose will turn him into an incredibly consistent player.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Inconsistent, injury prone and overrated.

Can't believe some people here are suggesting signing him, he's scored less than 10 Premier League goals in his whole 5 seasons at Arsenal. Not the player we need unless we're looking for a Memphis Depay replacement.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Wow. I opened the thread expecting a handful of posts saying "who gives a shit?"
I think it's because we're so desperate for a quality wide player that many will just accept the first option given to them.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Wouldn't want him here. Admittedly he's shown a bit more bottle than the rest of them at Arsenal but he's nothing special, a bit injury prone, and still hasn't figured out what his best position is at 23. Who would he replace in our starting 11? He's OK to good in a few roles but exceptional in none.
Fellaini replacement.

All 'round midfield and attack squad player, but better than Fellaini.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
No thanks.

He is the next James Milner.

Cantona_Forever

Ox is a far greater talent than Jesse. Would sell for 3 times the value as a rough guess.
Roughly the same, pal. At least Lingered loves scoring in the final (Wembley).
Plus coming from bottling Arsenal.. we can do better than that. From this Arsenal, only Alexis Sanchez will improve us. Ozil is just too lazy.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It kinda matters because we need to have HG status players in the team. But it's not about that really, he is genuinely good, young and proven in the EPL. Who's the someone better you'd have in mind?
I don't have anyone in particular, it would just be a bit underwhelming I think, especially when you factor in what he'd likely cost. He'd be an upgrade on Lingard but we've got enough decent players, I was hoping this summer we'd sign a wide player of genuine top quality.

Edit: Just read he'll have 12 months on his deal come June so maybe he won't cost the earth. If however we do sign him, I hope he's not our only signing there.

Last edited:

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I'd take him. Personally, think he's a fantastic talent and Mourinho might be the one to unlock it on a consistent basis. Physically strong, hard working, pacy and a good dribbler.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Would be reluctant to sign anyone from that mentally fragile Arsenal team.
He obviously has the right mentality to want to leave Arsenal before he's wasted the best part of his career there.
i think what is obvious is that football fans posting on forums have no clue about the "mentality" of people they've never met

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
No, they still don't know about their mentality. You can't read people's "winning mentality" from watching a screen ffs. Arsenal lost because of poor tactics and a worse squad than their opponent.

Wooly Red

Supports
Liverpool
We're after wide players with pace so it'd make sense, although Brandt appears to be the number one target.

It feels like Arsenal are at a critical point where things could go either way. Wenger could leave and make way for a much needed fresh approach, which breathes new life into the club and gets them competing again. On the other hand they could end up with no Champions League, a mass exodus of players and a manager that can't get them going. They could then end up like we've been since 2009.

Chamberlain is one of the players who's tried to stand up and be counted during their struggles so I can't blame him for being frustrated.
Hmm, I'm not really sure. He was exciting when he first appeared, but he doesn't seem to have pulled up any trees. Though it could just be Arsenal as a whole.

Also I was thinking he has a lot of injuries but other than last season his injury record isn't too bad. Again, probably an effect of hearing about injuries at Arsenal.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
To be honest we've a lot of these decent squad players. We should be investing in top class and that's why I'd probably not take him.

SaboTaj

Going by his recent performances in midfield he can definitely excel as a box to box midfielder. Have absolutely no idea why Wenger doesn't play him there more often.

Don't know if United would be the ideal club for him but wouldn't mind taking a punt on him.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
What's his best position anyway? IIRC, he sort of started out as an attacker/wide attacker, but his recent best performances have come from a CM (box to box) type role?

Not sure he's what we need, but in a midfield 2 with Pogba and Herrera, we'd have plenty of energy and running power. Not sure about passing ability though.

dbs235

I'd definitely take him here, he's a good player. Don't think he'll ever be top class though.

Classical Mechanic

Never rated him. Total crock too.

No, they still don't know about their mentality. You can't read people's "winning mentality" from watching a screen ffs. Arsenal lost because of poor tactics and a worse squad than their opponent.
There is a difference between losing and getting humiliated again and again.

Last edited:

Jig1234

Was not a fan of this player as a winger but in this central midfield role he has been fantastic. Unlikely but would love him at Utd. We are crying out for some CM. If it's not us it will be Man City. I think this would be a wise move. We would need another CM as I expect Bastian to move on. Carrick is getting older. I think we will need 1 or 2 new CM in summer.

Sylar

What's his best position anyway? IIRC, he sort of started out as an attacker/wide attacker, but his recent best performances have come from a CM (box to box) type role?

Not sure he's what we need, but in a midfield 2 with Pogba and Herrera, we'd have plenty of energy and running power. Not sure about passing ability though.
CM seems his best position and from what I remember his best games have been there. Didnt he play there against Milan a few years ago in CL and was really really good. But it seems like he keeps getting stuck out wide. Even when Arsenal recently won a few games, it seemed he was centre, then just pushed out wide (for Bayern?) so they could get coquelin in (who didnt manage a tackle for about 70 minutes).
Bizarre.

Dont get the whole "he would be an upgrade on Lingard" cos I wouldnt want him out wide esp as it seems he doesnt track when playing there. The biggest problem is that it seems like hes always injured. Not sure if thats because of the way he plays (sharp turns etc).

Shocking that hes only 23 seems like hes been around for ages. He wouldnt be a starter for us but would be a good squad player to use.

Ultimately I see him going to Liverpool. Though think he would be an upgrade on Fellaini overall (even if they have different traits).

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
When we sign "top" players how does that work out for us?

Back to basics, prem proven.
So is he Premier league proven? His goal scoring stats make Young look ridiculously productive.

Last edited:

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
He's one of the few Arsenal players who doesn't have a questionable mentality, always gives 100%. I wouldn't mind taking a gamble on him.

Castia

Meh no thanks. Injury prone and inconsistent as feck, would rather stick with Lingard as a squad player than sign him.

MadMike

Never rated him. Total crock too.

There is a difference between losing and getting humiliated again and again.
He was only really injured last year tho? He doesn't have a bad injury record. That's just a generic Arsenal reputation people seem to apply to their players.

He can actually play both RW and CM at very good level. He doesn't carry enough goal threat from the wing, so I thing CM probably suits him better but he can be a different type of RW when we need one because of his energy, strength and pace. Like Willian.

Let's be honest, Basti and Fellaini do not really have any long term future here, or they would have been offered new contracts with their existing ones entering the last 12 months. Pereira is the only player we have that can potentially claim a squad spot in CM. We need young blood in there to compete with and cover for Pogba and Herrera. Ox has been one of Arsenal's better players in this season and he's only 23 with tremendous PL and CL experience. He also has homegrown status and you weaken your rivals by signing him.

He ticks a lot of boxes. It's a no brainer for me.

Castia

When we sign "top" players how does that work out for us?

Back to basics, prem proven.

Is he though? He's scored 9 league goals since 2011 :lol: he's never scored more than 2 Premier League goals in a season, he's wank.

Add to that his awful injury record and he'd be a complete disaster of a signing. At this point I think Arsenal are surely looking to offload him he's not good enough.

shaky

Why would he want to come here to sit on the bench?

Status
Not open for further replies.