Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain | Set to miss the 2018/19 season

OverratedOpinion

I have never seen someone look so much like they are doing something when they are in fact doing nothing. It is like he spent his entire childhood watching Homer Simpson create schemes to act as though he is being productive when he is really sleeping at his desk and felt the need to base his career off that.

Djemba-Djemba

I have never seen someone look so much like they are doing something when they are in fact doing nothing. It is like he spent his entire childhood watching Homer Simpson create schemes to act as though he is being productive when he is really sleeping at his desk and felt the need to base his career off that.
He's like Ashley Young in that respect.

We should offer Young to Liverpool in January. £20m please.

haram

Peter Taylor gave him a 7 for the Slovakia game. Same as Rashford.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
That's the crazy part. The sum in itself isn't crazy because he's english but to pay so much for that amount of years left on his contract.. Bad, bad business.
40 Million transfer fee and 160K per week (apparently including signing on fee) is just insane.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I am happy to wait a while for Klopp to work on him. Everyone thought it was nuts to play Wijnaldum and Lallana in midfield as well. Lallana in particular has improved vastly under Klopp. So has Can.

Remember when players signed for Wenger to improve as players. Been a while since that was a thing.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Maybe we should let him actually play for Liverpool before we judge.
He hasn't even kicked a ball for us in training yet!

roonster09

Scout
Maybe we should let him actually play for Liverpool before we judge.
He hasn't even kicked a ball for us in training yet!
So we have to ignore 7-8 years of averageness just because he signed for Liverpool and wait for him to play for Liverpool?

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
So we have to ignore 7-8 years of averageness just because he signed for Liverpool and wait for him to play for Liverpool?
Well the title points to him now being a Liverpool player, after he signed for us.
How will he do ? I don't know.
Maybe we should just give him a chance and see how he does.

Also going back 7/8 years he was just a kid, so maybe a bit too early to judge him back then?

Last edited:

Akshay

Staff
Well the title points to him now being a Liverpool player, after he signed for us.
I think he will improve under Klopp. Has to, really. Though I'm not sure if he's better as backup to Wijnaldum or worth trying in one of the wide forward slots when Mane or Salah are unavailable.

Rafateria

If 4 pages of this thread have shown anything it's that forum experts know sweet feck all.
Wenger, Conte and Klopp all wanted him and were prepared to pay £40m for him.
So although I only see him as a decent back up for wings and WB slots, maybe MF, it clear that very good managers rate him much higher and we're missing something. Maybe 23 yrs old and potential does mean something. Adds much needed depth to the squad anyway.

roonster09

Scout
OP:

So what does the caf make of him? Decent player? Underrated? Overrated?

There were old threads for him in the football forum, so I created a new one instead of bumping them.
Obviously people are rating him based on what they watched till date and not predicting how he will be doing for Liverpool?

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
OP:

Obviously people are rating him based on what they watched till date and not predicting how he will be doing for Liverpool?
You just said 7/8 years of averageness - so you including when he was 16 years old?

Rafateria

Really not sure why Liverpool signed Ox....he is a good squad player at maximum, nothing else.

One of my mate who is a Liverpool fans also does not understand this signing, he describes Ox as "a muscle player with no on-pitch intelligence and vision, would not even be wanted by Rugby". :lol:

However, I do feel sorry for Ox because he did show a lot of potentials years ago, and probably was ruined by Arsenal..... Hopefully can see some Klopp magic to help this young man out.
Your mate's a bit of a bit of a thicko isn't he. Doubt you should be quoting him as a reference

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I think he will improve under Klopp. Has to, really. Though I'm not sure if he's better as backup to Wijnaldum or worth trying in one of the wide forward slots when Mane or Salah are unavailable.
Hard to say where he will actually fit in at the moment, or whether he will actually start for us. A good addition to the squad hopefully but time will tell.

roonster09

Scout
If 4 pages of this thread have shown anything it's that forum experts know sweet feck all.
So although I only see him as a decent back up for wings and WB slots, maybe MF, it clear that very good managers rate him much higher and we're missing something. Maybe 23 yrs old and potential does mean something. Adds much needed depth to the squad anyway.
Including genius like Rafateria who didn't rate Barkley that highly when managers like Conte, Poch wanted him and Koemane wanted him to stay?

Rafateria

Including genius like Rafateria who didn't rate Barkley that highly when managers like Conte, Poch wanted him and Koemane wanted him to stay?
Touche. But you will note that even in the post you quoted I included myself ! And Barkley is well overrated - but then I'm just an internet forumite so WTF do I know !

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Spot on. I don't think any of us are saying he will be a world beater for us, and it's clear on LFC forums there are some who have reservations about his signing but Chelsea wanted him, and Arsenal wanted to keep him. Be interesting to see how he does and where he will fit in to Klopp's plans.
He is only 24 also.

roonster09

Scout
Touche. But you will note that even in the post you quoted I included myself ! And Barkley is well overrated - but then I'm just an internet forumite so WTF do I know !
If that's the way we are heading then better to close football forums and quit discussing players, when we are at it, we can also stop discussing transfer targets.

Sometimes we all use the phrase "managers knows better" but that will just kill any discussion you are having on any topic.

Rafateria

If that's the way we are heading then better to close football forums and quit discussing players, when we are at it, we can also stop discussing transfer targets.

Sometimes we all use the phrase "managers knows better" but that will just kill any discussion you are having on any topic.
Did I say that ? No. So stop being an ass.

roonster09

Scout
Spot on. I don't think any of us are saying he will be a world beater for us, and it's clear on LFC forums there are some who have reservations about his signing but Chelsea wanted him, and Arsenal wanted to keep him. Be interesting to see how he does and where he will fit in to Klopp's plans.
He is only 24 also.
I think people who have raised concerns are not just taking the piss for the sake of it. 24 years old and no one knows what his best position is. He played in attacking role for 6 years and scored grand total of 9 goals and never scored more than 2 league goals in a season. He looked very good as wing back though. His dynamic game would have suited that role superbly.

For example people shit on Walcott but at least he scores goals and is a decent threat.

roonster09

Scout
Did I say that ? No. So stop being an ass.
Then what was the point of your post
Now you will start acting like a dick and keep digging bigger hole, which is obvious.

Or rating players is only reserved for rafateria who can conclude whether player is average/overrated or good?

Rafateria

Then what was the point of your post

Now you will start acting like a dick and keep digging bigger hole, which is obvious.
You're worse than usual today. If you want to be selective in your editing/ quoting that's on you. CLEARLY, and I mean like even a blind person could see, not what was said though.

roonster09

Scout
You're worse than usual today. If you want to be selective in your editing/ quoting that's on you. CLEARLY, and I mean like even a blind person could see, not what was said though.
Selective? :lol:

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
The only reason i can think of for 3 teams wanting him so badly is the fact he is English.

He was the best of a bad bunch available at the time.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Some decent moments in these clips, whether they are a good overall summary is hard to say as there is inconsistency in some of his play i am sure.

Like the tackling back too.

Love the run and cross at 1:19 :)

haram

To me it seems he's just not good enough to play either RW or CM. He actually might be best at RWB due to his work rate and pace.

Parry Gallister

Me neither. Probably because he comes from recent years Arsenal. It's impossible to say. Same with half their team. We keep getting told they are good but are under performing, just not competing etc. But it could be just that they are not very good. Walcott, for example. Could he genuinely do any damage in another team?
It's true, what even is Walcott, would he exist if there was no Arsenal?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
All of them have been massively injured during their time at arsenal.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Bad game last night. I was a little bewildered when we signed him and still am. However, Klopp must see something in him. It seems like Klopp is quite picky about his transfers, and when he signs off on Ox then it must be because he thinks he can develop him in to something good. I believe he can and will therefore wait a while before I pass judgement.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
He's such an idiot. Could really be one of the best Wing backs in the league IMO with good coaching, don't think he the quality or end product required for CM or ever will.