Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Should be taking the corners, not on the edge of the box trying near impossible volleys
Yes, I also found that confusing. Telles has excellent delivery and should be taking the corners and freekicks. Bruno should be the one taking up positions outside of the area.

Yes, I also found that confusing. Telles has excellent delivery and should be taking the corners and freekicks. Bruno should be the one taking up positions outside of the area.
he was taking the corners from the left was he not? I wasn’t 100% watching the game, but thought that was the case. If so, makes sense, as taking corners on the right takes him out of position.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Really? What did he offer tonight that Shaw doesn't?

I know its only his OT debut, but I didn't see anything to get truly excited about from tonight.
I hoped he'd offer overlaps to Rashford and put over some Beckham type crosses, but never saw much of that tonight. Am hopeful that all comes soon.
He's got a great haircut for a start.

But for real, I thought he was a lot better at attacking than Shaw usually is (although Shaw is a solid defender). His output wasn't too effective but he looked a lot more comfortable in the final third. Think he'll get better in time.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Positives of Telles over Shaw:

Better crosser
More intelligent (defensively in particular)
Probably score more goals

Positives of Shaw over Telles:

Quicker and stronger
Better touch

I think Telles will get a run in the team now, first half he was probably our best player (a 7/10 at a push mind). I think he was assured and calm on the ball and was possibly the only player Pereira wasn't trying to meg!
I don't think Telles is better defensively than Shaw, or we can't say that for now.

Also, you think Shaw has better touch than Telles? That surprised me.

I think he has quicker football brain (knows what to do with the ball once he has the ball) , Shaw has more of defender oriented football brain.

Litch

Eyesight test having seen little of him, he looks like a footballer than just a LB. I like Shaw but to me he looks like a significant upgrade already.....

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I don't think Telles is better defensively than Shaw, or we can't say that for now.

I think he has quicker football brain (knows what to do with the ball once he has the ball) , Shaw has more of defender oriented football brain.
I didn't say he was a better defender than Shaw, I said he was a more intelligent defender than Shaw. Shaw is very dopey which IMO is why he's so inconsistent. Shaw is stronger and faster and quite possibly better in the tackle and in the air, but he's not an intelligent defender.

And yes, Shaw's touch is excellent, Telles is also technically nice as well though so I don't think it's a huge difference in that sense.

spiriticon

If he doesn't take 1.5 years to play his way into decent attacking form every time he comes back from injury, I'd say he's already better than Shaw.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Not keen on him personally. Being a great crosser from a technical perspective is a useful bonus not not an important core skill for a fullback these days. Not sure it ever was. Everything else he offers is not very impressive.

Seems to me there's two kinds of elite fullbacks. Converted centre mids with incredible technique like TAA, Alves, Marcelo etc. have a long history at the top, with the likes of Ruud Krol and Junior being the iconic figures in that role.

More recently you've had full backs that aren't that technical but are very good at getting in behind the defence mostly through good movement, Alba being the obvious example and Robertson to lesser degree. They're more of a modern invention that take advantage of inverted wingers but to an extent that's what set Facchetti apart back in the day.

In a lot of ways United seem to be stuck in the past. Football moves in cycles and it's plausible we'll just stumble our way ahead of the next cycle. But for most of the last decade it looked like we were trying to recreate the 90s with no recognition of why things worked the way they did then. Sir Alex made us win that way through sheer force of will but we already looked a bit rubbish at the basics by then. Now we're going the same route without those incredible mental strengths.

Telles just seems another example of that. If we aren't going to get one of those two elite attacking fullback prototypes then I'm all good with getting an all out defensive fullback like AWB. This seems like the worst of most worlds.

Davie Moyes

I saw @Saddy make that point, too:

Almost as bizarre as when van Gaal had Jones taking them. We do make some questionable decisions.
Exactly this. He took a couple from the left but none from the right where whipped towards goal would be more dangerous.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Looks like he’s much better at crossing than Shaw but doesn’t carry the ball as well.

Davie Moyes

Not keen on him personally. Being a great crosser from a technical perspective is a useful bonus not not an important core skill for a fullback these days. Not sure it ever was. Everything else he offers is not very impressive.

Seems to me there's two kinds of elite fullbacks. Converted centre mids with incredible technique like TAA, Alves, Marcelo etc. have a long history at the top, with the likes of Ruud Krol and Junior being the iconic figures in that role.

More recently you've had full backs that aren't that technical but are very good at getting in behind the defence mostly through good movement, Alba being the obvious example and Robertson to lesser degree. They're more of a modern invention that take advantage of inverted wingers but to an extent that's what set Facchetti apart back in the day.

In a lot of ways United seem to be stuck in the past. Football moves in cycles and it's plausible we'll just stumble our way ahead of the next cycle. But for most of the last decade it looked like we were trying to recreate the 90s with no recognition of why things worked the way they did then. Sir Alex made us win that way through sheer force of will but we already looked a bit rubbish at the basics by then. Now we're going the same route without those incredible mental strengths.

Telles just seems another example of that. If we aren't going to get one of those two elite attacking fullback prototypes then I'm all good with getting an all out defensive fullback like AWB. This seems like the worst of most worlds.
A bit harsh what with just his first PL start? Just wondered if that was your opinion from watching his Porto career or since he's signed?

I understand what you mean in that he's not the dribbling, ball carrying type. I think he could do some of the overlaps when his understanding with teammates improves.

I think defensively he looks sound. Good in the air and quick to get a foot in early.

Brophs

The One and Only
Give him a chance, lads. He’s apparently recovering from 14 separate bouts of Covid.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
A bit harsh what with just his first PL start? Just wondered if that was your opinion from watching his Porto career or since he's signed?

I understand what you mean in that he's not the dribbling, ball carrying type. I think he could do some of the overlaps when his understanding with teammates improves.

I think defensively he looks sound. Good in the air and quick to get a foot in early.
Yeah it's just based on his profile as a player across his career rather than judging him on his first game. We know what kind of player he is.

It's not so much that I don't think he can be one of the best around in that role - there I agree we need to give him a lot of time to see how he gels with this team, and develops after this step in his career - but rather that I just don't really agree with bringing someone in that fits that profile. I wouldn't have wanted us to get Digne either, for example, even though he's clearly a very potent threat in this Everton team built around firing balls into Calvert-Lewin.

We haven't got the players to play that way and I would rather we build around the likes of Rashford and Greenwood as our attacking style than someone like Calvert-Lewin. If we do that, I don't see how we'll ever provide the platform for Telles to flourish. He might well be good value overall but we have a tendency to buy players that aren't very well suited to the roles we ask them to play, which mostly negates any value savings we've made.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He's not a dribbler and pacey one but he has deadly crossing, set pieces, creative with his passing & play with aggression when off the ball. I really like him, we need more players in the box to maximise his delivery & creativity. He's basically left back playmaker.

Davie Moyes

Yeah it's just based on his profile as a player across his career rather than judging him on his first game. We know what kind of player he is.

It's not so much that I don't think he can be one of the best around in that role - there I agree we need to give him a lot of time to see how he gels with this team, and develops after this step in his career - but rather that I just don't really agree with bringing someone in that fits that profile. I wouldn't have wanted us to get Digne either, for example, even though he's clearly a very potent threat in this Everton team built around firing balls into Calvert-Lewin.

We haven't got the players to play that way and I would rather we build around the likes of Rashford and Greenwood as our attacking style than someone like Calvert-Lewin. If we do that, I don't see how we'll ever provide the platform for Telles to flourish. He might well be good value overall but we have a tendency to buy players that aren't very well suited to the roles we ask them to play, which mostly negates any value savings we've made.
All fair points.

I swear I saw occasions yesterday where he was about to wrap his left foot around the ball and cross it until he looked up and saw nobody in the box.

Now if he's not able to cross much due to that or is not on corner duties we are not making best use of his best assets.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
How on earth have people not realized this guy is a hopeless athlete? From the moment we signed him I’ve been pointing out he is slow as feck and has poor agility. Look at his career stats. In the past two years he’s decided to become obsessive over assists and goals - his striking of the ball. He’s literally average or below average in almost everything else. Shaw just lacks so much adventurism and cunningness to his game that forced us to get our 3rd choice left back. Regulon was top choice for obvious reason

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
How on earth have people not realized this guy is a hopeless athlete? From the moment we signed him I’ve been pointing out he is slow as feck and has poor agility. Look at his career stats. In the past two years he’s decided to become obsessive over assists and goals - his striking of the ball. He’s literally average or below average in almost everything else. Shaw just lacks so much adventurism and cunningness to his game that forced us to get our 3rd choice left back. Regulon was top choice for obvious reason
Had to laugh when I realised we bought a guy who’s less athletic than Shaw :lol:

sillwuka

I think he will succeed here but I notice he's such a different player to Shaw. Maybe I got used to watching him for so long.

Shaw seems to have a good understanding with whichever winger is playing in terms of movement, Telles felt like he was bringing the ball up the field but with no distinct purpose.

He's not a ball carrier and will look to play a riskier up field pass which may be work in our favour. Positives are his deep crosses and delivery, I was quite surprised with his tackling and positioning defensively. Good start Alex!

Davie Moyes

Because he's not an hopeless athelete. You are exaggerating. He's not the fastest but not slow either. Agility wise probably reminds me of Heinze. He was good in the air yesterday and quite strong in the tackle.

He was clearly the best LB in Portugal so not below average.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I was very impressed by how we conspired to find a way to stop him doing the one thing he looked incredibly dangerous and effective doing in his only other appearance - taking corners.

A truly excellent use of resources.
Bizzare. And what's worse is that he's on edge of the box trying to volley the fecker in. :houllier:

Himannv

Better in the first half and didn't dwell on the ball so he was moving it quickly. Faded a bit in the second half and I think he'd have been caught out a couple of times against a better team with a more quality attacker on the left.

Agree with the comments regarding set pieces though. he should be taking them if he's on the pitch.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
People are actually making judgements on this bloke?

Mental. I have no idea if he is shite or brilliant.

Probably inbetween.

pascell

Positives of Telles over Shaw:

Better crosser
More intelligent (defensively in particular)
Probably score more goals

Positives of Shaw over Telles:

Quicker and stronger
Better touch

I think Telles will get a run in the team now, first half he was probably our best player (a 7/10 at a push mind). I think he was assured and calm on the ball and was possibly the only player Pereira wasn't trying to meg!
Unless we're throwing Williams back in, we have no option but to play Telles, Shaw is out for another 2 weeks and we have a game Tuesday! :lol:

El Jefe

People are actually making judgements on this bloke?

Mental. I have no idea if he is shite or brilliant.

Probably inbetween.
I don't get it either. The only thing he's shown he can do so far is cross, and we all knew that before he joined anyway.

There has been so little to judge from both of his performances so far. Talk of him being better than Shaw can't be based on his performances so far.

So far he looks fairly average to me and I haven't been impressed with how slow he is getting up the field and supporting attacks but like I said it's early days so its too early to judge.

DeeDee7

In a couple of game he will have a stand out performance and people will discuss whether hes united best ever left back.....
People on this forum are completely inept at judging a performance with context and a little bit thought. Just black and white

Maureen-yo

Shaw's first touch is up there with the best in the team.

AFC NimbleThumb

...find us Shaw's montage of his bad touch. weirdo.
I’m agreeing with you. :lol:

I’m saying when Luke Shaw has one of the best touches in your side it’s a issue; he’s barely a Kimmich at fullback.

What a sensitive soul you must be.

Maureen-yo

I’m saying when Luke Shaw has one of the best touches in your side it’s a issue; he’s barely a Kimmich at fullback.

It's a bizarre comment, he has a great first touch and that's evident so to suggest that's an issue is bizarre. I think you're trying to say that it's an issue that the left back has one of the best first touches but that again is bizarre?

meamth

So you're saying Shaw's level of touch is worse than any players in the top teams?

I highly doubt that. Still, weird comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.