Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RUCK4444

Question I'm asking myself is should we change to a back 5 until our centrebacks play themselves back into some type of form?

I like the idea of a back three including Shaw as the LCB, with perhaps Maguire and Lindelof. Then have Telles and AWB as the wingbacks.

I think that might create a bit of a solid base for these clowns at Centreback to compose themselves over the next few games. Would also allow Telles to get straight into the mix and a few games under his belt.

What say the Caf?

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Question I'm asking myself is should we change to a back 5 until our centrebacks play themselves back into some type of form?

I like the idea of a back three including Shaw as the LCB, with perhaps Maguire and Lindelof. Then have Telles and AWB as the wingbacks.

I think that might create a bit of a solid base for these clowns at Centreback to compose themselves over the next few games. Would also allow Telles to get straight into the mix and a few games under his belt.

What say the Caf?
Wingbacks need to be decent going forward and creative for that to work. Telles sounds like he is but AWB most certainly is not

RUCK4444

Wingbacks need to be decent going forward and creative for that to work. Telles sounds like he is but AWB most certainly is not
Sure but we have to work with what we have, it would still provide additional cover for the centrebacks who are having a collective mare at the minute which is my main reason for asking the question.

Also you would expect a better output from AWB naturally with him positioned further up the pitch, his crossing is poor but his linkup is ok and he can beat a man for pace, hopefully it will bring the best out of him.

RooneyLegend

What say the Caf?
The thought of AWB as a wingback sends shivers down my spine.

RUCK4444

The thought of AWB as a wingback sends shivers down my spine.
:lol: Why though? He can hardly do more harm than good in that position, worst case he would just add defensive cover and stay in position rather than tucking in like him and Luke have been recently due to the CB frailties.

I honestly think we should consider it for the next few games, until Maguire at least has played himself back into some form.

It’s a serious question because our run of games is anything but easy and we simply cannot keep conceding like we have been.

YAMS49

Think people will be surprised at just how big of a difference he'll make. It'll be like a Pereira to Bruno type of change. His delivery from the left, and play style in general will help Rashford massively, but also Martial and Greenwood in terms of a left back who knows how to pick people out in the box, not just randomly hitting it into the defender because he doesn't know how to wrap his foot around a ball. They're just youtube videos but Shaw isnt even capable of passing, crossing or striking a ball like Telles. Theyre worlds apart from a technical perspective.
This. Telles is a hell of a player going forward. He's quality on the ball. Off it... not so much.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This. Telles is a hell of a player going forward. He's quality on the ball. Off it... not so much.
Hes not all that bad defensively anyway. Decent enough, and Shaw is average in that aspect anyway (horrendous on the weekend defensively), so worst case imo he'll be Shaw level defensively while a world above offensively.

SAFMUTD

What say the Caf?
For it to work we need two attacking fullbacks, not just one. Telles seems like a player than can add width but AWB would be a liability there, we'll end up basically playing with 4 stagnated at the back and having less width than what we currently have.

See the few teams that play with a back 5 they mostly use wingers instead of rightwings. Also a big part of playing with a back 5 is delivering service into the box and we dont seem to be trained for that, we must be one of the teams with less head goals in the league.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Shaw can say goodbye to that LB spot and rightfully so. We have a new LB in town who actually can cross. That’s unheard of post Fergie.

Best signing since Bruno which don’t say much. But I am sure Telles Will be a huge hit.

cheeky_backheel

It never ceases to amaze how the caf always manages to convince themselves of the quality of each signing, even when the balance of evidence does not support it.

Soon enough, same people will be asking for his head.

Oldyella

For it to work we need two attacking fullbacks, not just one. Telles seems like a player than can add width but AWB would be a liability there, we'll end up basically playing with 4 stagnated at the back and having less width than what we currently have.

See the few teams that play with a back 5 they mostly use wingers instead of rightwings. Also a big part of playing with a back 5 is delivering service into the box and we dont seem to be trained for that, we must be one of the teams with less head goals in the league.
We did ok with it last year, and Telles is far superior to Williams. AWB is obviously an issue but we have seen it work already.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Every video I've seen of him he looks like he's running on sand with amateur level ball control and below-average athleticism. What on earth is this signing? In the past two seasons, he's decided to score some freekicks which have rescued his career to some degree.
Seriously, any Porto fans on here?

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Every video I've seen of him he looks like he's running on sand with amateur level ball control and below-average athleticism. What on earth is this signing? In the past two seasons, he's decided to score some freekicks which have rescued his career to some degree.
Porto and Sporting fans commented on him in the transfer thread. All seem to rate him quite highly.

Highfather_24

27? Such a weird kit number. Isnt number 20 free? Even 15? Grant could be given 12, and Telles should have been given his preferred 13.

cheeky_backheel

For a glimpse of what we bought, just watch him against Liverpool in the CL last year

Chairman Steve

Hes got the Mikael Silvestre number as I personally call it. Close enough to a fitting number for a left back for me!

AneRu

Whilst two fullbacks would be ideal but I think the benefits we would have of:
1. Some defensive solidity with three center backs
2. The ability to push up Pogba and play a sole DM
3. Playing two strikers e.g I think Martial/Cavani and Rashford/Greenwood in and around the box supported by Pogba, Bruno and the wingbacks,
far outweigh what we would suffer from AWB's lack of attacking skills and we still have Laird and Williams coming through if things got really bad with AWB.

Suv666

One defensive and one attacking full back seems to be the most ideal setup. I dont think there is any big team with 2 defensive full backs.
Shaw is no Wan Bissaka any way. Mediocre going forward and at defending.

George Beast

I've seen him described by people who actually watch him play weekly as one of the best players in the Portuguese league if that helps? I seem to remember him a couple of years ago being a guaranteed top 3 LB in the world. He's perhaps not quite at that level but there's no denying he's still very good, at least going forward.

Bestietom

This is probably the one signing which has the most excitement. He looks a great player going forward. However, without dampening the excitement I do have concerns about how he’ll do defensively as it’s not his strength. Considering he’ll be playing on Maguire’s side and with us looking all over the place at the back, will need to see how they’ll work together!
I read he is good tackler and can defend as well as attack. We will have to see.

Cloud7

What say the Caf?
The issue with that is then that we end up blunting our attack for the sake of another CB. Going forward is our strength. We need to play to our strengths, especially as there's no guarantee that even with a back five we won't still see the disasters that we've been seeing.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
At least with Cavani there will be someone to put a cross in for, not much point putting in a decent cross for Martial and Rashford to stand and watch...
I know that’s pretty frustrating. Especially when none of our strikers are the type to burst a gut to get in the box

K Stand Knut

The more I read about this guy, the more I think Shaw might live to regret demanding the club get more players in to the squad.

I know this will all depend on a few factors, and Telles has always reportedly took time to settle wherever he has moved, but he sounds like everything a FB should be and certainly more in the mould of Irwin/Evra etc. Basically, everything we think Shaw can, and could be for us.

I’m genuinely excited about him, probably more than any of the summer signings.

Could he be a bit like Baines? Very attacking, good crosser, good at set pieces but a little suspect defending?

Looking forward to seeing him play, but likely he will need a little time to settle.

Handré1990

The more I read about this guy, the more I think Shaw might live to regret demanding the club get more players in to the squad.

I know this will all depend on a few factors, and Telles has always reportedly took time to settle wherever he has moved, but he sounds like everything a FB should be and certainly more in the mould of Irwin/Evra etc. Basically, everything we think Shaw can, and could be for us.

I’m genuinely excited about him, probably more than any of the summer signings.
Irwin and Evra were very different players. Evra was positionally suspect a lot of the time and had pace to burn. Irwin the picture of perfect positioning, equally good going forward as defending, but not very fast, at least not when i started watching regularly from 96. I wish we’d find a new Irwin:drool:

Renegade

Irwin and Evra were very different players. Evra was positionally suspect a lot of the time and had pace to burn. Irwin the picture of perfect positioning, equally good going forward as defending, but not very fast, at least not when i started watching regularly from 96. I wish we’d find a new Irwin:drool:
Evra was only suspect defensively towards the end. He was a beast defensively in his prime.

Davie Moyes

Just in the video above against Liverpool he does not look very mobile. I'm guessing he prefers not to carry the ball much which is one of Shaw's strengths. Although this may be due to having a good cross and passing range. I hope he's not too slow that it becomes a weakness for us down the left. Mind you Blind did well enough with no pace.

Chicharito_

For the people that have watched a lot of Telles, does he have pace?

Playing LB for United will mean he may have to cover Maguires lack of speed quite a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.