Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We have wasted a lot of money with poor/not ready type of signings for this season:

VDB - 40m (35+5) (worst signing of the year)
Telles - 15m (poor signing)
Pellistri - 10m (youth signing, 0 appearance, not ready for this season, could be potentially decent signing, but lets see)
Diallo - 40m (25+15) (youth signing, 5 appearance, not ready for this season, could be potentially good signing, but lets see)

Thats 105m spent! (or 85m spent with 20m potential add-ons to be spent)

I mean just look at City, they've spent 60m on Dias, and they now have the best CB in Europe with best defensive record in the league this season. We've spent 105m in this COVID market for players making almost no impact for us this season.

Last edited:

Snuffkin

VDB is going to be a star hopefully with us.
Telles was worth buying to give Shaw a kick up the arse, and to show how good AWB is.
The kids are a punt but Ole is the man to bring them on.

Cast5

He was poor today but he’s in his first season at a new club and a new country, signed for a low fee, let’s not go overboard on the criticism. He was signed as a back up left back, no need to rip in to him. He’ll come good and will be a vital part of the squad.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
We have wasted a lot of money with poor/not ready type of signings for this season:

Pellistri - 10m (youth signing, 0 appearance, not ready for this season, could be potentially decent signing, but lets see)
Diallo - 40m (25+15) (youth signing, 5 appearance, not ready for this season, could be potentially good signing, but lets see)

I mean just look at City, they've spent 60m on Dias, and they now have the best CB in Europe with best defensive record in the league this season. We've spent 105m in this COVID market for players making almost no impact for us this season.
I'm not sure it's fair to make a direct comparison of Pellistri and Diallo with the Dias signing. It's clear that they aren't ready-made signings.

Banana Republic

This wasn’t a one-off for Telles.
Apart from his debut against PSG where he looked good bombing forward and putting in some good crosses, in all his other appearances, he’s at best been so-so and often looked to be a really poor defender with no positional sense at all.
Tonight he was worst than atrocious.
Had a direct part in all 3 Roma goals and in several of the near-misses.

Fred is getting some blame on the 2nd, but he was the one who ran back into the box, stopped an open shot and was battling to clear the ball after Telles fecked up.
Fred just got overwhelmed. It was going to be a goal if he hadn’t stepped in anyway.

Telles may not have had much game time, particularly recently, but there’s enough evidence already that Utd should be ruthless and cut their losses on this lad.
We won’t though and Ole will be too soft on him. First season and all that.
City and Chelsea wouldn’t hesitate. There’s no room for sentiment if you want to be serious about challenging for the top.

Cast5

Apart from his debut against PSG where he looked good bombing forward and putting in some good crosses, in all his other appearances, he’s at best been so-so and often looked to be a really poor defender with no positional sense at all.

Fred is getting some blame on the 2nd, but he was the one who ran back into the box, stopped an open shot and was battling to clear the ball after Telles fecked up.
Fred just got overwhelmed. It was going to be a goal if he hadn’t stepped in anyway.

Telles may not have had much game time, particularly recently, but there’s enough evidence already that Utd should be ruthless and cut their losses on this lad.
City and Chelsea wouldn’t hesitate. There’s no room for sentiment if you want to be serious about challenging for the top.
Cut our losses? He was signed as a backup fullback for 13 million quid, calm down mate, he hasn’t even finished his first season yet.

redNATION

Pretty much the story of our transfers since Fergie retired. I have a dislike of the Glazers like everyone else, but we’ve spent over a billion dollars since 2013 on transfers, one of the highest spending teams in Europe in that time. For that outlay I would expect a couple of league titles and a champions league at least.

The waste of money and resources in that time is borderline criminal. We could easily have built a team to compete with likes of city and Bayern.

BaillyBaillyBailly

There are quite strong rumours linking him with a move to Italy. I think that would suit him and us. If him coming gave Shaw the kick up the backside to get him performing like he is now then he was worth the £15m.
If we can recoup £10-£15m for him then that can either be spent on someone like Aarons or used in whatever other transfer ideas the board are cooking up.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I keep waiting to see some hint of this talented attacking full back that posted great numbers in Portugal...but yeah it's really not there.

Big problem for me is that he simply isn't fast enough to be a successful FB, with or without the ball. He's also weak in the air, has no awareness and to be honest I'm not really sure what he does well outside of corners.

city-puma

I think those are arranged in multi-year installments. It’s not a huge sum per year.

FahadiHossein

Coming from the Portugese league as a Brazilian, he is gonna be better in attacking than defending as a full-back. Arsenal signed a guy somewhat similar called Santos years ago when players were leaving and there were a series of panic-buys (even their current boss Arteta was part of the panic-buy when Everton was looking to phase him out for Barkley. Arsenal never trusted him and shipped him off at a loss, but we are talking about the days without a pandemic. No one is going to buy him for even 10 million pounds in such an economy. It is either we sell him at the same price, or we have to coach him for the next season on how to defend.
Except Chelsea with their massive loan army and they still can't make it back to the club, City is famous for coaching their underperforming players back to decent levels. Look at Delph - he looked like a good half-back 2 seasons ago.

Eternitiy

Pretty much the story of our transfers since Fergie retired. I have a dislike of the Glazers like everyone else, but we’ve spent over a billion dollars since 2013 on transfers, one of the highest spending teams in Europe in that time. For that outlay I would expect a couple of league titles and a champions league at least.

The waste of money and resources in that time is borderline criminal. We could easily have built a team to compete with likes of city and Bayern.
Really don't understand some of our fans. You're absolutely spot on. We've spent ridiculous amounts of transfer fees and wages over the past decade, but like you've said, a huge ratio of those decisions have been horrific. Yet some continue to insist the owners aren't spending enough. We spend more than enough, we just spend so stupidly. The fault lies with our recruitment strategy. Who takes responsibility for that? Woodward and the managers. Thankfully, things look to be getting better in terms of club vision under Ole, but I believe some of our contracts we hand out to players are baffling - i.e. the perennially injured (Jones, Bailly, Rojo, etc.) or those in declines (de Gea, Matic, etc.).

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
feck me. His defending is atrocious for such an experienced fullback.

Maybe just put him as line hugger left-winger? His crossing is still decent.

Last edited:

Eternitiy

Think people will be surprised at just how big of a difference he'll make. It'll be like a Pereira to Bruno type of change. His delivery from the left, and play style in general will help Rashford massively, but also Martial and Greenwood in terms of a left back who knows how to pick people out in the box, not just randomly hitting it into the defender because he doesn't know how to wrap his foot around a ball. They're just youtube videos but Shaw isnt even capable of passing, crossing or striking a ball like Telles. Theyre worlds apart from a technical perspective.
Shaw can say goodbye to that LB spot and rightfully so. We have a new LB in town who actually can cross. That’s unheard of post Fergie.

Best signing since Bruno which don’t say much. But I am sure Telles Will be a huge hit.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

always_hoping

That's on the Glazers also, if they had competent football people overseeing transfers and players contracts instead of their business men buddies like Matt Judge, Ed Woodward etc then not a fraction of that money would be wasted.

red_de_pologne

That's on the Glazers also, if they had competent football people overseeing transfers and players contracts instead of their business men buddies like Matt Judge, Ed Woodward etc then not a fraction of that money would be wasted.
Exactly, they spent a fortune of the clubs generated revenue through people with zero football background or knowledge. It's insane.

Marwood

He's fine guys. Didn't do well last night but overall I've liked his season relative to what we should expect.

BaillyBaillyBailly

Don't know if this is a crazy idea (I am on hour 11 of a 12 hour night shift) but would it be worth trying Telles as a RW in a couple of the upcoming games. He can cut inside and cross/shoot which I think would work well.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He's fine guys. Didn't do well last night but overall I've liked his season relative to what we should expect.
Plus it’s hard coming in and out. How do you get any match rhythm?
We will need him Bailly fighting fit over the next week

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
He was signed to get a kick up Shaw's backside and in that sense it has worked perfectly. Shaw has upped his game immensely since he has had competition for places. Also, it's really tough for a player to settle in the PL, it's a different ball game altogether. He is literally always on the bench and never plays. So it isn't strange that he isn't up for it so much.

Some of us folks need to have a long hard look at ourselves. Writing someone off after a 45 min performance while we continue to coast in our careers or blame lack of opportunities.
This. Also people need to calm down a bit. Yes that was a shite performance, but usually hes been decent when called upon

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
As I sai previously, not a world beater but a decent option. He's been a few notches down, but he had some troubles with the adaptation (Covid and new league), but he will show to be a good squad option. He is actually a very accurate passer, if you wish to use him as an inverted fullback. And his set-pieces will be good if he gets the chance to take some of it.

Blood Mage

He's fine as a backup for Shaw, I don't need him to be world class. He was very poor against Roma though.

Man Utd 1:2 Leicester

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Not sure where Telles goes from here. Definitely stuck in a rut. He's basically our Angelino. When Angelino was at City he looked rubbish. Just didn't fit the league or the team. Goes to Leipzig and its like lights on. Telles looks similar. Wouldn't be surprised if he asked for a move. He seems like he'd be better as a wing back in a 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 and, as an international, with a World Cup year approaching he'll want more games. Another indictment of our transfer spending last summer. None of him, Van de Beek, Amad, Pellestri have made that significant an impact. Cavani the single unquestionable success.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Not sure where Telles goes from here. Definitely stuck in a rut. He's basically our Angelino. When Angelino was at City he looked rubbish. Just didn't fit the league or the team. Goes to Leipzig and its like lights on. Telles looks similar. Wouldn't be surprised if he asked for a move. He seems like he'd be better as a wing back in a 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 and, as an international, with a World Cup year approaching he'll want more games. Another indictment of our transfer spending last summer. None of him, Van de Beek, Amad, Pellestri have made that significant an impact. Cavani the single unquestionable success.
I think Telles will be fine personally. He's had a year to adapt and will play more next season.
Amad and Pellistri are young prospects and nobody expected them to make an impact this season.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I thought he was tidy and enthusiastic in getting forward but he's clearly not as influential or as dominant as Shaw.
He's a ok back-up and nothing more at the moment.

Red_toad

I can live with him not defending very well. But when do we see these legendary crosses and deadball situations? Wasn’t bad today but 1 decent cross in a game seems very disappointing considering the hype when he arrived.

Abraxas

I thought it was fairly typical of what we have come to see from Telles in his outings. Fairly steady, a few good clearances from set pieces which were important as I worried about them with this lineup. The odd nice delivery, reasonably tidy. But he's just not that dynamic.

Devil may care

Yeah I thought he was fine tonight.

He's perfectly acceptable as a backup LB.

He was appalling against Roma but that seems like a one off.
Agreed, I think he's exactly what we need as a back-up LB, especially when our starting LB is world class.

kundalini

Decent performance. One poor cross in the 2nd half and a disappointing corner but otherwise he was fine.

5 successful tackles out of 7 attempts. 2 interceptions.

Roma away and West Ham away are the two matches he has looked terrible defensively, most games he seems ok. If anything, I hoped he would produce more high quality crosses. His lack of acceleration wasn't apparent to me before seeing him play for United.

Last edited:

Dve

I thought he was one of our better players today. Comfortable on the ball and kept possession well.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
I'd like people to name all these class backup LBs out there.

He is a good backup. People just compare him to Shaw. Shaw is literally one of the best players in the league. Not just defenders either.

He was decent tonight and played some great balls. This is the level we expect and need from him, to come in to a full strength team if Shaw is injured and do the basic stuff correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.