Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylar

What a place to have a debut, but what a performance to put in. I think being a LWB might suit him as it eases some of the defensive issues some have with him. but those crosses, it wasnt just cross and hope. Hope this continues.

Steven7290

Yeah on his debut with a slick pitch and wet ball
I dont know, I agree the debut factor may have affected it but everyone on the field had to play in the same condition. First impression wise, is first touch, ball control and body mechanics were not as tidy as I would have liked to see but if he can make it work it doesn't matter now does it.

vanderpants

So he can cross a ball then?:lol: i didnt get to see the game due to work but reading this sounds like he had a good game

MadMike

Positives: Great curled crosses & set pieces, a very positive attacking attitude.
Negatives: Bit clumsy at defending with fouls given away and also few loose passes

Overall, a hugely encouraging debut against a very good team. He looks more like a winger than a fullback. Not sure I would trust him in a back 4 if we're not dominating the game, but he's a great option to have when we try to break a low block.

Kaos

Positives: Great curled crosses & set pieces, a very positive attacking attitude.
Negatives: Bit clumsy at defending with fouls given away and also few loose passes

Overall, a hugely encouraging debut against a very good team. He looks more like a winger than a fullback. Not sure I would trust him in a back 4 if we're not dominating the game, but he's a great option to have when we try to break a low block.
If anything he'd be the ideal left back for our back 4. Our RB is an elite defender but mediocre at bombing forward, Telles at least offers us an attacking outlet from the FB positions. Nice balance to have.

HowYouDoin

Thats honestly the best cross that I've seen since Beckham.
We need to play all our tall players haha. They will be feasting with his corner kicks.
Maguire, Tuanzebe, Pogba, McT, Cavani....
Heck get De Gea to come for all his corner kicks cuz we will be scoring from those, no need to worry about conceding haha.
Also bring Fellaini back.
Does LeBron need a part time job too?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
He didn’t seem to have any ‘throw your hands up in exasperation’ crosses that have plagued us for years.

MalcolmTucker

Every time we sign someone who is meant to be good at set-pieces, the first 2 or 3 games they are great and everyone on the forum breathes a sigh of relief that we've finally got someone who can whip them in.. only for them to revert to what we're used to after a few games.

Having said that, what a relief it is to have someone who can deliver a brilliant corner!

Sea-Cow

I bet Maguire was physically aroused at the prospect of getting on the end of those corners. Those were Charlie Adams at Hartpool (?? I can't remember. They were orange and SAF said that his corners were worth 10M alone)

But with Maguire, Scott McT, Cavani... we should threaten now on all corners.

OverratedOpinion

One of his crosses was so good that McTominay basically stood still and it still nearly bounced in off his head.

Kaos

Every time we sign someone who is meant to be good at set-pieces, the first 2 or 3 games they are great and everyone on the forum breathes a sigh of relief that we've finally got someone who can whip them in.. only for them to revert to what we're used to after a few games.

Having said that, what a relief it is to have someone who can deliver a brilliant corner!
I think thats mostly been down to us not having many aerial threats in recent seasons. Zlatan was probably our best. Though with Slabhead and potentially Cavani at the receiving end I think Telles will have a good time of it.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
His delivery is really good. Cavani will eat those up, Maguire too. He must have been really nervous so I am not going to judge his first touch / tackling just yet.

MadMike

If anything he'd be the ideal left back for our back 4. Our RB is an elite defender but mediocre at bombing forward, Telles at least offers us an attacking outlet from the FB positions. Nice balance to have.
First off, as an aside, I don't consider AWB an elite defender. An elite tackler, sure. But lack of positional awareness and aerial ability coupled with clumsiness on the ball means he's not worthy of the title in my opinion.

Anyhow, even if I agreed that he is an elite defender, what you're saying is not balanced. If you only have an attacking threat on one side (left) you become predictable and easier to nullify. If one side of your defence is weak (like when Williams was playing at LB) it will be targeted and that will destabilise your whole defence by pulling them out of position.

Balance, by literal dictionary definition, implies an even distribution of forces. Both sides being able to attack and defend. Otherwise you are lopsided, not balanced.

dutchred

First off, as an aside, I don't consider AWB an elite defender. An elite tackler, sure. But lack of positional awareness and aerial ability coupled with clumsiness on the ball means he's not worthy of the title in my opinion.

Anyhow, even if I agreed that he is an elite defender, what you're saying is not balanced. If you only have an attacking threat on one side (left) you become predictable and easier to nullify. If one side of your defence is weak (like when Williams was playing at LB) it will be targeted and that will destabilise your whole defence by pulling them out of position.

Balance, by literal dictionary definition, implies an even distribution of forces. Both sides being able to attack and defend. Otherwise you are lopsided, not balanced.
I agree, especially if we continue with 3 5 2 which I think is the way forward for us. In that case I would prefer Williams or better Laird at right wing back

Blood Mage

He looked alright but not fully fit. Hard not to get excited by some of those whipped crosses though as we're not used to seeing that! He at least offers something different.

northernfan

What was impressive with his crosses was the bite at the end. Gave the keeper no chace to come out to make a play. Not bad for a player, coming to a new team, country, C.L. game on the road in the rain.

MalcolmTucker

I think thats mostly been down to us not having many aerial threats in recent seasons. Zlatan was probably our best. Though with Slabhead and potentially Cavani at the receiving end I think Telles will have a good time of it.
Disagree. We've had a pretty tall team for years and too often we've just bashed it into the first man or lofted it to the far post no matter who was taking it although maybe it's just one of those things where you think your team is rubbish at corners and other teams are good but that's just because we only see and care about our ones.

Alemar

What a place to have a debut, but what a performance to put in.
Well, but he’s not a young no name player, he plays for Brazil national team. It’s sort of expected that he is at the very least “good”

Dan_F

I bet Maguire was physically aroused at the prospect of getting on the end of those corners. Those were Charlie Adams at Hartpool (?? I can't remember. They were orange and SAF said that his corners were worth 10M alone)

But with Maguire, Scott McT, Cavani... we should threaten now on all corners.
Blackpool :lol:

Sylar

Well, but he’s not a young no name player, he plays for Brazil national team. It’s sort of expected that he is at the very least “good”
Sure, but how many debuts have you seen that werent quite upto par, and that was in games against lesser opposition. he didnt quite have a preseason with us, but it looked like he has been with us for a while.

Of course we will see going forward, but its what we needed.

Dante

Average bang
His delivery from crosses and corner was great. But he didn't do a whole lot in the game. Which is understandable since he didn't know any of his new teammates.

Here's Telles' touch map from minute 0 to minute 67 (when he got subbed):

And here's Shaw's touch map for the same 67 minutes:

It looks like Ole used both as them as leftbacks to specifically try and shutdown Di Maria on that wing. And to be fair, by holding hands most of the match, it worked. But I don't think that yesterday's game is going to be representative of the way he's going to need to play in the PL.

I wouldn't read too much into his performance other than it giving him a chance to get used to his teammates. Which it did.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Thats honestly the best cross that I've seen since Beckham. We need to play all our tall players haha. They will be feasting with his corner kicks. Maguire, Tuanzebe, Pogba, McT, Cavani....
Heck get De Gea to come for all his corner kicks cuz we will be scoring from those, no need to worry about conceding haha.
Also bring Fellaini back.
Does LeBron need a part time job too?
You new to the rodeo? We all know that De Gea never leaves his own 6yard line/goalie's box for any crosses.

Craig Ward

Really good debut - as it's been picked up his crosses are immense.

Looks a good player.

Some slating his sloppy defending as he gave a few fouls away - most of those were soft and wouldnt be given another day.

Gives us better options on the left with Shaw/Telles competing, keeps Williams away who isnt a LB and we now seem to have good balance and width on the left side.

Hope he continues this form

romufc

The pace he gets on the corners is brilliant, hopefully we are dangerous on set pieces now.

We have Cavani, Pogba, McTominay, MAguire who are Ariel threats. The good thing about the delivery is that he puts it in such an area that is difficult to defend against.

PitTon

The way his body moves when taking corner, the speed of the ball, the curl ... was like James Ward-Prowse. Real danger. Surprised and excited to see every corner he took became a possible chance.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
The pace he gets on the corners is brilliant, hopefully we are dangerous on set pieces now.

We have Cavani, Pogba, McTominay, MAguire who are Ariel threats. The good thing about the delivery is that he puts it in such an area that is difficult to defend against.
What has the Little Mermaid done to deserve that?

Status
Not open for further replies.