Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idxomer

Competent enough and a far better option than Williams, still nothing special about him except in set pieces.

PoTMS

He is a good footballer. Unfortunately he's surrounded by people that are not, particularly the guy on the other side of the pitch.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Impressive performance from Telles. Aerially he wasn't caught out once. He positioned himself properly offensively and defensively. Just a pity he kept getting under his volleys. It was only West Brom but we've seen Luke Shaw done against West Brom. Very encouraging.

kundalini

I thought he did ok overall. I'd have liked to see him take more risks in the attacking third, especially when we were looking for a goal.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I was very impressed by how we conspired to find a way to stop him doing the one thing he looked incredibly dangerous and effective doing in his only other appearance - taking corners.

A truly excellent use of resources.

First start in the PL. It’s been stop start with all the internationals and Covid, so probably only had a handful of training sessions.

encouraging.

I assume one of those corner/ volley set pieces came off in training this week. I could do without him trying that again!

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I was worried about his defending before. I thought he coped really well so far, so that is a good sign already. His attacking was a bit meh, but not atrocious. Rasfhord though, he seemed not yet able to use Telles well, as he kept passing the ball back.

Red00012

He is a good footballer. Unfortunately he's surrounded by people that are not, particularly the guy on the other side of the pitch.
You should go to the Wan Bissaka thread instead of mouthing off here

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Was a bit disappointed tbh. I had hoped he'd give us a real threat down that left hand side in games like this, but he played it quite reserved actually. Don't really recall him getting on the overlap or to the bye line all that often at all.

LJJT

Let’s keep in mind first ever game in the prem. he was fine but hopefully will be a lot better once he gets used to the league and his team mates

Yagami

Good post resistant
I was very impressed by how we conspired to find a way to stop him doing the one thing he looked incredibly dangerous and effective doing in his only other appearance - taking corners.

A truly excellent use of resources.
I saw @Saddy make that point, too:
Said it in the match thread - we had 2/3 corners from the right and Telles didn't take any of them after his cracking corners in his first match - does not make sense !
Almost as bizarre as when van Gaal had Jones taking them. We do make some questionable decisions.

sherrinford

Was a bit disappointed tbh. I had hoped he'd give us a real threat down that left hand side in games like this, but he played it quite reserved actually. Don't really recall him getting on the overlap or to the bye line all that often at all.
You're hoping for him to be something he's not. I caught a couple of Porto games before United signed him and I don't recall him aggressively overlapping once. He's closer to a [Irrelevant point], Daley Blind or Ricardo Rodriguez - he provides a good left foot, not athleticism.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Yeah he's good. Gives us another dimension.
Really? What did he offer tonight that Shaw doesn't?

I know its only his OT debut, but I didn't see anything to get truly excited about from tonight.
I hoped he'd offer overlaps to Rashford and put over some Beckham type crosses, but never saw much of that tonight. Am hopeful that all comes soon.

Last edited:

Web of Bissaka

Yup, we have our new #1 LB.

Maybe play Shaw in the big games, but Telles definitely should vs majority of the weak teams.
Our attacks are overall better with him and he gave a lot of various options to attack.

Web of Bissaka

Really? What did he offer tonight that Shaw doesn't?
Telles offers a more direct and risk options to open up defenses. Crosses from deep and left corner kick is good. The immediate volley shootings from corner kick delivery from Bruno is also a threat. They must've repeat that again and again in trainings, unfortunately it didn't pull off this time.

Overall Telles offers us more in attacks and especially he's generally more useful vs low blocks.

Shaw tend to be more safe and keep possession around. Not useful against park the bus teams. He can deliver good crosses and left corner kicks yes, but usually he'll pull of the safer decisions in open play. This is a good option to have when we're up against strong teams because we need to be more conservative.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Telles offers a more direct and risk options to open up defenses. Crosses from deep and left corner kick is good. The immediate volley shootings from corner kick delivery from Bruno is also a threat. They must've repeat that again and again in trainings, unfortunately it didn't pull off this time.

Overall Telles offers us more in attacks and especially he's generally more useful vs low blocks.

Shaw tend to be more safe and keep possession around. Not useful against park the bus teams. He can deliver good crosses and left corner kicks yes, but usually he'll pull of the safer decisions in open play. This is a good option to have when we're up against strong teams because we need to be more conservative.
He put in 8 crosses, absolutely none of which found a teammate. He had two volleys which were closer to leaving the stadium than hitting the target. How biased do you have to be to legitimately try claim those are threatening?

Shaw’s last 2 matches have 2 assists. Telles didn’t complete a single cross today.

Shaw tends to keep possession and find actual teammates instead of pumping in random crosses to nobody.

People believe and remember whatever they want on here. Telles completing 0 cross is apparently a breath of fresh air to some.

Idxomer

Shaw is a much more complete footballer than him, there's no question about that.

lex talionis

Very nicely done in his league debut performance. I’m looking forward to see him withstanding a more challenging test.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
You're hoping for him to be something he's not. I caught a couple of Porto games before United signed him and I don't recall him aggressively overlapping once. He's closer to a [Irrelevant point], Daley Blind or Ricardo Rodriguez - he provides a good left foot, not athleticism.
That doesn't make sense. Alonso aggressively overlapped. Blind (not a left back) and Rodriguez are slow players.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He understands how to play football, passes the ball well and takes good positions. High hopes for him.

I thought he underhit a couple of passes and crosses against WBA though, but that won't be an issue next time I'm sure.

Overall I think him and Rashford need to train together more, because certainly Telles knows how to play attacking fullback. Decent debut overall, without doing anything special. I agree we should be playing him against low block teams and Shaw against big boys for now.

Perfectly fine PL debut, we can't be expecting a left back to drag us to a win when the rest of the team is misfiring.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Thought he was good, the team ignored him a few times when he got into good positions to try and take it on themselves which was a bit frustrating.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Positives of Telles over Shaw:

Better crosser
More intelligent (defensively in particular)
Probably score more goals

Positives of Shaw over Telles:

Quicker and stronger
Better touch

I think Telles will get a run in the team now, first half he was probably our best player (a 7/10 at a push mind). I think he was assured and calm on the ball and was possibly the only player Pereira wasn't trying to meg!

Status
Not open for further replies.