5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty poor example as Telles was wingback that game, with Shaw covering him doing the majority of the defensive work. Most eye-catching about that game was his crossing
Really enjoyed that formation. Seemed very strange playing 2 left backs, and shaw got forward as much as Telles that game, but it really worked.

Dante

Average bang
I don't even think his crossing caused that much direct danger today. It was more the fact that he was willing to put the ball into the box with a minimum number of touches before releasing it. That alone was enough to turn the Istanbul defenders around and give them something to worry about.

If he can get his crossing radar working, it'll be like he's tossing live grenades at the opposition defenders with every cross. But even if he never quite gets his accuracy spot on, his technique is still good enough that it'll be like tossing inactive grenades into the box and causing enough confusion to force errors.

Sometimes simple things repeated often make a big difference. Telles could be a huge game changer for United. I'd love it if we could get the same thing at RB.

criticalanalysis

I don't play Fifa that much but it's like his foot is permanently stuck on R2 / Finesse :lol:

Such lovely technique.

Good game though I would like to see a bit more composure when he was being pressed in the 2nd half. Maybe it was a tactic but there was a bit too many hoofs down the byline for my liking.

jamesjimmybyrondean

My expectations of him defensively were quite low due to how people always brought up him not being defensively good. For this reason i thought maybe Shaw should still get the nod especially in tougher games but Telles has been good defensively. He should be starting.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I don't even think his crossing caused that much direct danger today. It was more the fact that he was willing to put the ball into the box with a minimum number of touches before releasing it. That alone was enough to turn the Istanbul defenders around and give them something to worry about.

If he can get his crossing radar working, it'll be like he's tossing live grenades at the opposition defenders with every cross. But even if he never quite gets his accuracy spot on, his technique is still good enough that it'll be like tossing inactive grenades into the box and causing enough confusion to force errors.

Sometimes simple things repeated often make a big difference. Telles could be a huge game changer for United. I'd love it if we could get the same thing at RB.
Yeah that’s a good way of putting it, completely agree.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
From what we’ve seen, with him and Shaw it looks like we’re pretty sorted at LB. Proper competition for this position now.

How has it taken this long to find a player who can cross? Seems crazy.

meamth

I always admired prime Leighton Baines with his absolute wand of a left foot.

Glad we have our own shiny left footed crosser.

Woodzy

I find myself not caring about his overall play because all I can think about are his corners.

ash_86

Brilliant in the offence but looks quite suspect defensively. I don't mind becuase what we need right now are width and productivity from wings.

youngrell

Better defensively than I was expecting after reports. Seems good aerially too.

Doesn’t seem to get forward as much as I was expecting either, but still offers a threat. I like him.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Based on his 3 starts so far Shaw ain't getting his place back

Be interesting to see Telles up against a Salah for example

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Really good player, interested to see if he can continue these performances. I genuinely wouldn't start Shaw again after watching Telles these last few games.

dal

I still prefer Shaw to Telles against the best opposition however you could incorporate either into the starting lineup against the best teams depending on the formation.

We are building a squad with an array of tactical options which is really good to see.

2/3 more additions - 2/3 out and we will be in a terrific place in terms of our squad.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I like Shaw, but Telles looks really great. I would not totally be against trying to transform Shaw into a left CB if we are not able to get a decent one in.

Matt851

Obviously early days but still thinkwe should have gone for reguillon regardless of the buy back clause. Really think we pace in the fullback positions to help add width given our forward players always want to go inside

kundalini

Defended well but passing and crossing was poor much of the time. Did create Greenwood's huge chance with a through-ball but helped by confusion in the Southampton defence.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Meh. His crossing helps and the more we play Cavani it'll help more. Need to get him back on in swinging set pieces for sure. He's solid all around and a hard worker which is nice, but overall probably not much between him and Shaw. Shaw better in build up, Telles better in the final 3rd but neither are "brilliant" at any of that, Telles with his set pieces aside (which we aren't utilizing for some reason).
Reguilon was the one to get, buy back clause or not.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Any reason why we're not allowing him to take inswinging corners? It seems like it's literally his best quality
i don’t get why we always go for outswinging corners either. Should be Bruno on the left and Telles on the right and Maguires big noggin knocking them in. I also don’t understand how Maguire misses so many clear chances from set pieces. He could easily chip in with 5 a season and fans would end up liking him a bit more. It’s been harder miss on plenty of occasions

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
He was ok. Hopefully there's more to come in terms of consistent end product as he's shown he can do it. He's also busy enough up and down the wing and doesn't look a defensive liability, which was a fear coming from Portugal. I'm happy with him overall.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I like how he keeps looking up for crosses, even if they are often a bit wayward it's good to see him force the issue.

Trequarista10

He was okay. I think people who are disappointed perhaps didn't know what type of player Telles is. I get the impression some people thought he was a bombarding, pacy full back who would run with the ball and beat his man on the outside repeatedly. He's not, he plays more like a midfielder in the sense that he is more likely to want the ball to feet, and when he gets the ball rather than knocking it and running he stops it, looks up and attempts a long pass/cross.

He's been tidier than I expected/feared defensively. He's a useful weapon if we can get him up the pitch against teams who sit deep. And he can be a useful weapon playing our pacy forwards in behind as well, I think we saw that in the 1st half with the through ball for Greenwood's chance (if memory serves me correct). It does mean that we still don't have that modern, pacy full back on either flank though.

Reactions: Sultan

thomas porter

he does a good job of quickly playing crosses into the box but the accuracy of his crosses today were an issue.

NinjaFletch

He was okay. I think people who are disappointed perhaps didn't know what type of player Telles is. I get the impression some people thought he was a bombarding, pacy full back who would run with the ball and beat his man on the outside repeatedly. He's not, he plays more like a midfielder in the sense that he is more likely to want the ball to feet, and when he gets the ball rather than knocking it and running he stops it, looks up and attempts a long pass/cross.

He's been tidier than I expected/feared defensively. He's a useful weapon if we can get him up the pitch against teams who sit deep. And he can be a useful weapon playing our pacy forwards in behind as well, I think we saw that in the 1st half with the through ball for Greenwood's chance (if memory serves me correct). It does mean that we still don't have that modern, pacy full back on either flank though.
Yep, I'll hold my hands up and say this is exactly what I hoped Telles would bring to us and I'm disappointed he's not that type of player.

Still, he was a cheap signing and will be useful if he can give us some end product, but I can see why Reguilon was our preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.