Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Web of Bissaka

Wow, that felt so good to watch.
So that's how a classy left back play :drool: felt like a decade long time seeing one in United shirt.

Both defending and attacking, he's equally good, but more so in attacking. No doubt Shaw is far better in defending than him, but he's suffice.

SambaBoy

Doesn't make the decoy runs that Shaw does. It's a really underrated part of Shaw's game, he's constantly going on the overlap when Rashford/Bruno/Martial have the ball inside on the left. He's more of a deeper full-back who is happy to cross it from deep rather than carry the ball or make dynamic forward runs. He's been better defensively than I thought, closes down his marker well and tucks in when needed. Solid so far, but not much between him and Shaw.

slored1

I like Shaw more. Telles just spams crosses, and that is his whole offensive game.

SATA

For all his reputation on his supposedly world class crossing and set piece deliveries, i haven't seen a good one so far after his debut in Paris. Most of them seem to hit the first defender across or in front of him

Mcking

For all his reputation on his supposedly world class crossing and set piece deliveries, i haven't seen a good one so far after his debut in Paris. Most of them seem to hit the first defender across or in front of him
He isn't taking inswingers anymore. They usually look a lot more attractive than outswingers.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He could be much more effective if he used dummy move from time to time to buy himself half a yard for a cross. Too many of those are blocked.

Overall a little bit meh. I like fullbacks who are ball carriers, it'd be more useful for us I think.

Andersons Dietician

Wow, that felt so good to watch.
So that's how a classy left back play :drool: felt like a decade long time seeing one in United shirt.

Both defending and attacking, he's equally good, but more so in attacking. No doubt Shaw is far better in defending than him, but he's suffice.
White text check

Wait there is none? Can’t decide if serious or just trolling Telles fans.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Ed fecked up on Reguillon because he is a penny pinching Glazer bumming imbecilic moronic twat but we got this guy so let’s get behind him
We didn't buy him because Madrid wouldn't let him go without a buy back clause. United made the correct decision.

sammyhol

And do you know what all of those great deliveries were in his debut?? In-swinging corners.

And what has Ole done for every game since Telles has been playing regularly? Switch to out-swinging corners....

Just another one of our tactical decisions that is absolutely baffling....

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Hes a better crosser than Shaw thats for sure but he could be a little bit better in possession. He doesn't have to cross it every single time he gets the ball out wide.
And there's no real point in us crossing since only Bruno and Cavani are the only ones that make a real effort in getting to them.

He's not really an upgrade over Shaw, he's just the backup option for Shaw when he gets injured.

Classical Mechanic

And there's no real point in us crossing since only Bruno and Cavani are the only ones that make a real effort in getting to them.

He's not really an upgrade over Shaw, he's just the backup option for Shaw when he gets injured.
Exactly. He's doing what he's been bought to do.

Idxomer

Maguire covered him much more than expected as he was slow to get back in his position on many occasions and I think he was caught sleeping a bit on their 1st goal. Otherwise, nothing much happened from him all game except some decent defensive headers.

Matt851

Wasn't Reguillon a terrible deal because Madrid can buy him back easily?

We'd have essentially developed him for Real which is not what Manchester United should be doing.
At the end of the day we just need good players and reguillon seemed to meet the profile of player we need more than telles.

We can sit here and say we are man utd and are too big for that but there is quite a good chance we wont qualify for the champions league next season which is defintely not what itd should be doing

I also think we could have worked out a deal to get him without a buy back clause were we willing to stump up more money

Lassitude42

He looks like a CM playing FB with a CMs level of pace. Nice technique and football IQ but I'd like a bit more athleticism from a full-back

Andersons Dietician

He does seem quite reluctant to take people on. Doesn’t really have the pace or explosion for it and just ends up as someone else said spamming crosses in that aren’t even from a good position. reminded me of Valencia chipping long diagonal balls to Zlatan or Fellaini to fight for Except Valencia could actually clear the first defender.

He is better than what we’ve seen at crossing no doubt about that in my mind but he just can’t or won’t go in to the positions to put the hurt on people. Maybe it’s tactical and without the pace at the back is reluctant to get forward.

He was caught out a good bit yesterday and struggled to get back when there was a break on. Then there was the free header Marquinho had at the back post. No idea what he was doing but he showed up way way way too late. No shame in it but didn’t he get sat down by Mbappe as well or was that Maguire.

Think he’d be better in the Wingback position where not as much is asked of him and Shaw is there to back him up with his pace and power. Hopefully that would help get Telles in the positions to get a better quality of delivery in.

lex talionis

I’m happy with Telles as Shaw’s backup.

The Reguilon buyback clause didn’t bother me in the least but I’m also of the view we didn’t need a LB to get rid of Shaw, but to find a suitable backup for him. We’re in a good place now at LB and we need to be thinking about other positions to upgrade over the next two transfer Windows.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He looks like a CM playing FB with a CMs level of pace. Nice technique and football IQ but I'd like a bit more athleticism from a full-back
That's way too generous on his technique and football IQ from what I've seen.

There's a long history of fullbacks and centre mids playing interchangeably because the role of fullback essentially morphed out of the "half-back" position from the W-M. The clearest traces of that can be seen in the way Guardiola plays now, where his fullbacks literally take on the role of centre mids (or "half-backs") for large chunks of the game.

The likes of Junior, Breitner, Briegel, Krol, Facchetti are among the best fullbacks in history and they all played significant periods in both fullback and midfield or as a "libero" which doesn't have a direct translation to today's game, but is closer to someone like Busquets than Pique. Fast forward to this generation and you have Marcelo having his breakthrough season as a midfielder for Madrid before going onto be arguably the best attacking left back of his generation, Roberto Carlos stepping into midfield as he came towards the end of his career, Alexander Arnold coming through the youth teams as a centre mid and potentially still going back there.

They tend to be the most interchangeable players in emergencies too e.g. Gerrard playing many early games as a fullback, Essien playing there in the CL final and many games prior to that, Hargreaves doing the same for us that season, Rafael and Fabio playing in midfield for us when we were really bare bones. If you have great running power and solid technique you can excel in both of them.

Marcelo was actually a great centre mid in that one season because his technique and football IQ was really impressive, and he got around the pitch well. Set in that context Telles looks pretty mediocre on all counts. His technique isn't bad for a fullback but CMs are generally much more technically accomplished. The Brazilian twins were pretty bad centre mids but their technique was notably better than Telles' IMO.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Defenders needs time to adjust. Just give it 6 months and he will be alright. I like the look of him.

Idxomer

Shaw is the one who plays like a midfielder and he has the technique for the position.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Only a few games as starter, and new purchase. It is expected he won't do well yet.

Lentwood

I came on here out of boredom, expecting to click through a few pages of positivity about a new signing who has settled in quickly and looks a great addition at £14m

Nope. Not on the Caf :houllier::D:D

We might honestly be the most negative fans forum on the planet!

Litch

The lads been here 5mins yet some have less patience than with Shaw who has been here for years.

el3mel

I came on here out of boredom, expecting to click through a few pages of positivity about a new signing who has settled in quickly and looks a great addition at £14m

Nope. Not on the Caf :houllier::D:D

We might honestly be the most negative fans forum on the planet!
He hasn't been really anything groundbreaking let's be totally honest. He has been decent and definitely there's some good player there but honestly the comments in his early matches were overrating his performance a lot just because he's still holding the "new signing" tag. IMO some are ready to be pleased by anything a new signing will do in his first few matches.

Bondi77

Anyone who thinks this guy is an upgrade is on Shaw is on Crack!
He is not even as good as Buttner and has to be one of the slowest fullbacks in England.

3KDré

The lads been here 5mins yet some have less patience than with Shaw who has been here for years.
Last year we lost out on silverware because we didn’t have a reliable backup to Shaw. We now have one less problem to worry about, I can’t understand anyone expecting more.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Quite a few knee jerks in this thread - I am shocked

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He is not even as good as Buttner and has to be one of the slowest fullbacks in England.
He's a very different sort of player to Shaw. I have higher hopes for him, but so far, which is still very early on, he creates a lot of chances, has great delivery and kind of needs an actual striker to be playing to make the most of his ability (which is true for all our team).

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Shaw is far more talented player than him, and I am not even his biggest fan. How he managed to make us sign someone like Telles to replace him is beyond me and he should be criticised for that. Not taking anything from Telles, he might even turn out to be great player for us, it's still to early to judge, but it's difficult to see how he could do better than someone like Shaw comparing their qualities.

He might not be an upgrade on Shaw. So what, he was brought into compete. As for saying he’s not better than Buttner, that’s ridiculous and you know it.

Bondi77

Going by debut, Telles is way better that Evra. But yeh.. that doesn't fit the narrative.
I hope he does well but I scratch my head when posters were talking this guy up as being an improvement on Shaw.
Have you been impressed?
Did you watch a lot of him at Porto?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I hope he does well but I scratch my head when posters were talking this guy up as being an improvement on Shaw.
Have you been impressed?
Did you watch a lot of him at Porto?
I thought we're talking about comparing debut?

Status
Not open for further replies.