Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

pascell

I thought it was a good performance from him. His crosses looked naff at times because Martial is nowhere near the position he should be when receiving a cross.

Nick7

He’s too static. Shaw had more movement in half an hour than he did in 90.

I like what he does on the ball and he’s a better defender than I thought he’d be, but I want him to be more proactive in his link up play and showing for passes.

Idxomer

Shaw is our best player this season, it's normal to feel his absence whenever he isn't on the pitch.

That said Telles hasn't impressed all season. He was ok in the 1st half today and below average afterward.

Virror

Pretty good game. The few chances we got came from him, hard for him when we play without a proper striker to cross to as well. Did well defensively, stopped a possible 1on1

Red & White

I thought he played well, at least in the first 60 minutes. I know these are professional players but it’s always harder when you’re not playing regularly, as we’re seeing with VDB. He’s obviously not quite at Shaw’s level who’s having a great season but he did a job this evening.

Last edited:

OrcaFat

He definitely isn’t. Stopped a counter attack in the first half with a fantastic turn of pace.
I missed that and am pleased to hear it. When I was paying attention he was definitely running very slowly but perhaps it was reticence to over commit going forward. If he is truly able to run fast, he should do it more.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Fredericks skinned him in the second half. Nowhere near Shaw's level atm.

Matt851

He definitely is quite slow. I thought we getting a player with excellent technique and crossing to make up for the average pace but he is just generally a bit underwhelming. Like phil bardsley with a haircut (joke)

Redlyn

Well he's a backup player. A bang average one. Hope he's ok with warming the bench because he wont break into the team at any point.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’s good for what he is, back up to a really good left back

Godfather

Think he did ok but he really isn't the quickest is he?

First half he was one of our best performers. Faded badly in the second though. Good to have as a backup though. Need someone like him for the right. I feel like Williams is still miles away.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
He’s not amazing, but he’s perfect for his role in the squad.

Excluding Shaw, he’s still the best left back we’ve had since Evra left or even the backups during Fergie’s time.

O’Shea, Buttner, Blind, Rojo, Williams.

kundalini

Good performance overall. 4 key passes and some important defending to stop a dangerous looking West Ham counter-attack. A couple of times he was beaten rather too easily.

arthurka

He was good nothing to complain about. Would like him to be a bit more adventurous but other than that he did fine.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He’s not amazing, but he’s perfect for his role in the squad.

Excluding Shaw, he’s still the best left back we’ve had since Evra left or even the backups during Fergie’s time.

O’Shea, Buttner, Blind, Rojo, Williams.
O’Shea was better than you give him credit for

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
He's Sergio Romero's of LBs, solid LB but better starters around him. I like their LB Johnson more even if he played on the other side of the pitch than usual I think.

croadyman

This feels a little bit like the VDB & Grealish situation in that Ole wanted Reguilon but because Real insisted on that buyback clause Utd decided to walk away so we went for our second choice target instead

OleBoiii

Probably the best I've seen from him. Fair play.

About as good as a backup fullback can get. It's generally a position where teams don't have a lot of cover.

Andersons Dietician

He seemed more like the player the CAF scouts would have us believe he was at Porto. Thought he was decent today. There was a moment where he put on a turn of pace in the first half which was quite surprising but that must have been a one off. No shame in being binned by Freddrick, he left Shaw for dust on one occasion as well and that’s no easy feet, so goes to show Telles was doing alright.

SAFMUTD

When we signed him I though we were getting a super offense fullback, something like Chilwell or Robertson. He looks bang average, for the price and considering he's a squad option he's ok I guess. Its just I expected much more from a player with his assist and goals record.

Brophs

The One and Only
He’s fine as a squad full back but it’s looking fairly obvious the Portuguese league was doing him a lot of favours in terms of his numbers.

OrcaFat

Its funny because UEFA has Alex Telles as United's 2nd highest top speed at 32.44 km/h only below Rashford

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/clubs/players/250067802--alex-telles/statistics/?referrer=/uefachampionsleague/season=2021/clubs/player=250067802--alex-telles/statistics/

What is pretty bizarre is that he's also faster than Mbappe in this stats
Interesting. So he has pace but appears not to use it most of the time. Could put that down to confidence and getting adjusted to the higher level of our league. I feel it would help if he put the burners on as often as possible.

youngrell

He is pretty average all round, but he’s giving Shaw much needed rest time every few games or so and I’m never worried when I see him in the team, so doing a solid enough job as a backup and fine for these type of games.

I do wish he’d be more adventurous though. The little 1-2 he did in the first half was a lot more like what we need to see.

Eli Zee

His first game for us I was super impressed. It seems like he's a little off pace - doesn't link up with the attack that well because he's so far back at times it feels.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It’s a good job he’s got a magic left foot because he’s shit making runs forward, it’s so frustrating. Can’t say that I’m overly impressed so far

Classical Mechanic

Its funny because UEFA has Alex Telles as United's 2nd highest top speed at 32.44 km/h only below Rashford

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/clubs/players/250067802--alex-telles/statistics/?referrer=/uefachampionsleague/season=2021/clubs/player=250067802--alex-telles/statistics/

What is pretty bizarre is that he's also faster than Mbappe in this stats
Top speed isn't that important in football. It acceleration over short distances that is more important. Players generally only hit top speed when running longer distances.

Telles gets beaten very easily by his attackers one on one because he's slow off the mark. That's a problem.

Coops73

He’s handy to have when Shaw needs a rest but with Shaw playing the way he is that’s all he’s going to be.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Good game yesterday. Was by the the most dangerous player in the first half. The limited amount of chances we created all came from him. Start Cavani and he would've bagged a couple of assists.

Comparing him to Shaw is a little unfair. There's no better left back in the world at the moment so of course he's going to come up short.

Manoucha09

He played well last night. Give him Haaland or even DCL in front of him and I'm sure he'd be into double figures for assists. Martial just doesn't seem to be that type of striker. I feel we could utilise Cavani and Telles more than we have so far. Imagine if we had Alex when Fellaini was still here?

Matt851

He played well last night. Give him Haaland or even DCL in front of him and I'm sure he'd be into double figures for assists. Martial just doesn't seem to be that type of striker. I feel we could utilise Cavani and Telles more than we have so far. Imagine if we had Alex when Fellaini was still here?
I get he often doesnt have a target but his crosses dont look particularly impressive so far.

To be honest i am very unimpressed so far. Can imagine he will be someone we will be struggling to offload at the end of next season because he is on high wages.

He ia obviously back up to shaw but i would be pretty unhappy with him playing regularly if shaw gets injured.

Ekeke

Played well. Think people are too harsh on him, going forward at least he's not too far behind Shaw. And he has a lot of potential if he can find the form he had in 17/18 where he had 13 assists for Porto, or more recently in 19/20 when he got his usual 8.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Yet again an overly negative thread. Thought that was probably his best performance in a Utd shirt and he was at the heart of everything good we produced first half. Had some decent link-up play with Rashford too. Obviously he's not as good a player as Shaw (not many are) so its not that surprising that Shaw had a positive impact against the tired legs but that was a very good performance from our backup player.

Sylar

His first game for us I was super impressed. It seems like he's a little off pace - doesn't link up with the attack that well because he's so far back at times it feels.
Im wondering if that was because it was left wing back and he had the cover of Shaw behind him and thus could concentrate on the attacking aspect moreso and then being a help to Shaw when the ball came that side (it helped Neymar didnt play too).

He’s good for what he is, back up to a really good left back
Yep. And I think his crossing would be better when we have Cavani moving around in there and wanting to be in the box to score goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.