Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincantona

Hate his crossing. Hitting the ball repeatedly into “a general area” is bread and butter for most PL centre half pairings these days. Hard to see us profiting from his deliveries.

kundalini

Is Telles maybe better than Shaw? Curious to know Rangnick's take.
Solskjaer selected the team on reputation rather than form. Rangnick seems to do the opposite (to an extent).

Luke Shaw is a better player than Telles. This season Shaw appears to be suffering post-Euros. Even during his good seasons, Shaw can get complacent and perhaps lacks the athleticism to perform at a high level match after match. Shaw needs to know that when his performance level drops, Telles will be taking his place in the team for a few games.

A situation where Telles starts say 12 PL games and Shaw 26, seems preferable to Telles getting 5 PL starts when Shaw is suspended and injured.

Last edited:

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
he really is just an option when we need to put in more crosses in to the box while dominating the other team. Otherwise he's been average to not good enough with few good games. I am not disliking him as he seems to put in effort but he's got no speed nor strength for the Prem, with limited dribbling ability. He's more suited to some more walking league like Seria A or a team that dominates other teams from minute one.

Can somebody provide what's up with Shaw? Did he pick up an injury? That is why I think we should slowly look into some LB options in the market because we are one injury to Shaw from having two average fullbacks which are the core of the modern game these days.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Hate his crossing. Hitting the ball repeatedly into “a general area” is bread and butter for most PL centre half pairings these days. Hard to see us profiting from his deliveries.
Yeah forgot to mention this that actually his biggest strenghts makes us palying worse as a team. What we hated on Moyes famous game against fullham putting in 81 crosses or something is back here sometimes. His inability to make a quick run go past a player and cross being his only skill is costing us some good situations and ultimately loss of possession and control of the game, we need to build up better from wide. EPL teams are well equipped to defend this with ease and we are not Burnley to build our game upon this.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He has a hell of a left foot and his deliveries are brilliant. But this constant crossing has to be avoided but I like this option. Liverpool does it all the time. Just bring some variety in crosses and he can be a brilliant weapon.

Ixion

He maybe needs to reign in the amount of crosses but I'd rather see it go in the box than nothing come of it. He played an excellent ball to Elanga in the first half that he got his head to to put it across goal. His delivery overall is really good.

JoaquinJoaquin

Solskjaer selected the team on reputation rather than form. Rangnick seems to do the opposite (to an extent).

Luke Shaw is a better player than Telles. This season Shaw appears to be suffering post-Euros. Even during his good seasons, Shaw can get complacent and perhaps lacks the athleticism to perform at a high level match after match. Shaw needs to know that when his performance level drops, Telles will be taking his place in the team for a few games.

A situation where Telles starts say 12 PL games and Shaw 26, seems preferable to Telles getting 5 PL starts when Shaw is suspended and injured.
I think that is probably the perfect balance. But from what we have seen of Shaw this season, he has deserves to be on the bench as he looks unmotivated and lazy again.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Generally, I like him, but overall I think Shaw is better.

Telles has some weak moments as a defender, e.g. I am sure he literally ducked under the ball in our box yesterday when he could have headed out. Shaw has a few issues too, especially giving away easy free kicks, but is stronger at the back.

OmarUnited4ever

I don't know why ya'll complaining about here, we can't have the LB just passing backwards only, if the FB gets into advanced positions, then said FB should cross, and the attackers should move into the box, Telles delivered plenty of crosses, granted, not all of em' are quality, but many were good, and I would've hoped the team utilised it better, like either attack it, or win the second ball to create a goal scoring chance or a shooting chance.

defensively though, he wasn't very good in blocking crosses.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
A lot of them good crosses. Upto the forwards to be more aggressive and get on the end of them.
Yeah didn't see a lot wrong with that, though a couple of times he probably should have looked to get in behind.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Works ok for Liverpool's wingbacks
Telles' crosses from deep, Robertson and TAA (and Shaw!) can provide cut backs from the byline which are much difficult to defend against. And easier to score from. Telles doesn't have the pace to get into those situasjons.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Agree. It actually looks like Shaw is trying to pick out people when he's crossing.

youmeletsfly

The ones not liking his crosses need to compare the moment he gets into a crossing position with the amount of people we have in the box and with our LW's positioning. In most cases last night he was forced to cross early or make a bad pass.
Also last night he had a few defensive mistakes but also a few very good defensive tackles and interceptions.
He's a good backup to Shaw, especially when Shaw is in atrocious form.

He played 20 games in 1.5 years, what do you expect?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Gets the ball out of his feet and puts in head-down crosses. Occasionally he'll hit a target out of nothing more than just constant relentlessness.
Abit of a nothing player really.

Man Utd 1:0 West Ham

Red_toad

Very good once more, certainly not missing Shaw, who’ll have to up his game to get back into the team now. Telles certainly has a chemistry with Elanga, hope it continues.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
No, I miss Shaw, well a Shaw on top form that is.

I know Telles played a big part in our goal tonight and I do like his work rate but his passing into the box is erratic.

lawliet354

A weak link really, keep losing aerial duel, crossing to nobody, very slow and does not really offer security in the defence.

Still have big part in the goal but Shaw on top form is twice the player he is

redpatron

shaws the better talent, alex is the better team player. Night and day seeing Elanga and Telles both supporting each other, compared to Shaw and Rashford who both seem disinterested in helping the other earlier in the season.

united for life

Very good once more, certainly not missing Shaw, who’ll have to up his game to get back into the team now. Telles certainly has a chemistry with Elanga, hope it continues.
i am missing Shaw actually. Especially Shaw when he hits top form: i like telles, but unlike Dalot, he hasn’t proven that he is better than who he is filling in for

Ixion

Won the ball back and played the long pass forward that created the winner. Always very positive trying to get things forward. Great corner for the Varane header chance too.

sp_107

I think Telles is OK for cover but we need a bit better

2 Full backs and a CM // then we are sorted for now , just 3 signings

Abraxas

Seems to just whip it in with little prospects at times. We all clamoured for better delivery from wide areas but I think he's got to be a bit smarter about when he's doing it. If nobody is getting a run on defenders you're not beating giants like Dawson and Zouma even with Ronaldo in the box. It was a bit Moyes versus Fulham.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
His balls down the line we're generally pretty good... Which makes it more annoying that his crossing was so poor.

Saddy

He's definitely improved but he must take some blame for our shocking stats on scoring from corners - in his first matches he really fired in some wicked corners at pace and I don't understand where these have gone ?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Everyone knows Telles is decent going forward. However, the best thing about his performance was how he dealt with Bowen.

Bowen isn't the easiest player to defend. Though Telles was helped by how we pressed as a team, he also had to do his part.

We scored as a result of him nicking it off Bowen, in a situation where if he gets it wrong Bowen's off down the touchline.

I've never rated him as a defender. I have always seen him as a wing back. Pleased to be surprised by his 1v1 defending today.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I just don't see it with him.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He is a good passer of the ball .. better than Shaw
Seriously?

Half the time Shaw ends up playing almost as our main playmaker as he's such a good passer. His creativity from fullback is a huge weapon for us and to some extent helps mitigate the lack of passing ability our midfielders have. Telles is fairly good on the ball but Shaw at anything even close to his best is comfortably better. Of course, if you are purely talking about Shaw this season then fair enough, as he's been in shit form for most of it.

macheda14

I just don't see it with him.
He’s a more than adequate back up for Shaw. And of Shaw doesn’t find his form again I don’t mind him being LB for the rest of the season. But he cannae be our starting LB next season.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
A weak link really, keep losing aerial duel, crossing to nobody, very slow and does not really offer security in the defence.
I’ve felt the same every time watching him but weirdly enough he wins 1.84 aerial duels per 90 which puts him in the 84th percentile. Strange!

Thiagoal

I think he’s stepped up and made a great contribution to the team in the absence of Shaw.

How the hell did he have so many assists for Porto? His crossing with us has been very poor!

Ixion

He's definitely improved but he must take some blame for our shocking stats on scoring from corners - in his first matches he really fired in some wicked corners at pace and I don't understand where these have gone ?
He's taken around 20 compared to Shaw and Bruno nearing 50. He also took a perfect one today for Varane's header chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.