Alex Telles - SIGNED for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Of course we should be driving the price down. We should be paying the least we can for every potential target. You don't just go around offering exactly what the selling club wants. If he goes elsewhere, then good luck to him.
Generally agreed, but there also comes a time when you have to click on the Buy It Now button, or else run the risk of losing to a rival bidder.
Yeah good luck to him if he goes to a club that show more desire to sign him, United can take a moral victory, and we move onto our 3rd or 4th choice....

MUFC OK

Of course it's unreasonable. The guy has 1 year left on his contract. He could be free in some months.

United must drive a hard bargain. We are not desperate for a left back as it is.

Its quite encouraging that they have woken up now when it comes to negotiations.

I would say take it to the wire on October 5. So many sellers have been taking us for fools. We must not always pay what they want. Negotiate and meet in the middle
Is it your money mate? Remember how we squeezed a great fee out of inter for lukaku and didn’t invest it? “Waking up and saving the glazers money at the expense of signing players to make us competitive” must be anew trophy.

Stretender

Is it your money mate? Remember how we squeezed a great fee out of inter for lukaku and didn’t invest it? “Waking up and saving the glazers money at the expense of signing players to make us competitive” must be anew trophy.
Are you daft? Why do you think we have not sold the deadwood? Its because we overpaid in the first place or gave them big contracts.

Its not about because its not my money. A club must be run properly inorder to achieve success on the pitch. There is nothing clever about Financial incompetence, it does have adverse consequences.

diarm

Thiago was an unreal bargain, doesn’t make it the benchmark. What do you think is a fair price? The £12m that was rumoured?

the point is someone else will pay the asking price, no idea how anyone on here can be defending the club over this - or the entire transfer window. It’s taken a week from agreeing terms with him and we still haven’t agreed a fee, with every step conducted via the media. It’s a joke how we are run and all but a select few on here can see that clearly.
We've been run like an absolute joke for at least decade now. Our struggles stem largely from the shit decision making of our board and managers.

Refusing to keep making shit decisions or to keep getting ripped off in the market is not the same thing.

You really need to learn the difference between what the media or agents are reporting and what is really going on.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Thiago is world class in his position, Liverpool won't find someone out there with the same quality or someone with the same potential can be signed as alternative.

Telles on the other hand is not a world class in his position, we can find someone out there with same quality or if not someone with the same potential can be signed as alternative.

Do you understand now? Bayern knew Liverpool won't give up in chasing Thiago given other alternative won't be worth as much value as Thiago. While what Porto needs to know here United can give up in chasing Telles given there are other alternative. If Porto prefers us to go for the alternative left back then they will lose Telles for free next year.
You may be an oracle on transfers on this forum, however, I do have a certain degree of understanding of transfer workings. Granted, there might be other options available for United. Likewise, there are no guarantees there are no alternative clubs willing to pay Porto more than United for Telles. This is how an open and free market works.

The only way United end up paying less is if Telles insists its only United he'd move to this window. Porto would then have to evaluate options available to themselves. Either to release him for a substantially lower fee than they were expecting. Keep him and hope another suitor comes in for his signature near the end of the transfer window or in January. Alternatively, he relents and signs a new contract. The worst-case scenario for Porto is leaves for free in the summer.

GoldanoGraham

We haven’t had anyone that could cross a ball into the box for a loooonnnnggggg time.....

Not sure we got anyone that would know what to do with a ball like that - maybe only Igahlo?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You may be an oracle on transfers on this forum, however, I do have a certain degree of understanding of transfer workings. Granted, there might be other options available for United. Likewise, there are no guarantees there are no alternative clubs willing to pay Porto more than United for Telles. This is how an open and free market works.

The only way United end up paying less is if Telles insists its only United he'd move to this window. Porto would then have to evaluate options available to themselves. Either to release him for a substantially lower fee than they were expecting. Keep him and hope another suitor comes in for his signature near the end of the transfer window or in January. Alternatively, he relents and signs a new contract. The worst-case scenario for Porto is leaves for free in the summer.
All FC Porto fans in their fan forum believe he won't sign a new contract and the club has financial problem. If there are alternative clubs who want to pay, they would have done it now to beat us into it rather than waiting it to the end of the window to force Porto selling him cheaper than their asking price. You don't try to play hard ball when your player only has 1 year left contract, not when your club is financially not as good as Bayern and not if you are unsure that the buyer will absolutely pay.

Rilz

Supports
Manchester united
My suspicion is that we are saving as much money on this for another possible signing, whether that's Sancho or another RW...

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I think someone else takes him at the asking price of €25m, then we can wal away with our heads held high - in the knowledge that we have the Shaw/Williams combo and about 2 assists from LB this season.
Yet absolutely no one else is rushing in to buy him at that price, considering everyone is complaining how long we've been stringing this out

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Watch the Palace match, it doesn't matter if he could cross like Beckham because we don't put enough players in the box to occupy defenders.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I think someone else takes him at the asking price of €25m, then we can wal away with our heads held high - in the knowledge that we have the Shaw/Williams combo and about 2 assists from LB this season.
2 assists? That seems pretty high.

RedPnutz

That's because we have a banker as a negotiator who has no clue of what players are worth
Players are assets and I would trust that bankers in these deals have a better clue of what players are worth in this environment more so than fans on the internet.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
I feel like we don’t actually have any valuation of players in mind. It’s just “always pay less” Meaning if Porto wanted £30m, we would refuse to go above £25m, but if Porto wanted £20m, we would refuse to go above £12m. You know what I mean? It’s like even when it’s a fair price we just won’t meet it. We’re happy to pay £12m, but if the asking price was £12m we’d only pay £7m.
Meeting evaluations means you actually need to make signings. So ya..

oreon

Sancho I understand. The difference in valuation is 30 million. Haggling over Telles because of 5 mil. C'mon. You are already getting him at a discount at 25 million.

SouthPredators4

Sancho I understand. The difference in valuation is 30 million. Haggling over Telles because of 5 mil. C'mon. You are already getting him at a discount at 25 million.
Thats not true. For a 28yo LB going into his last contract year, asking for 25mil is reckless. It's a need but not a desperate one. We need to start being financial prudent in our purchases and contract renewals which will create a more.competitive culture. I will either bid max 18mil or promise a sign on fee if we get on a free.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Players are assets and I would trust that bankers in these deals have a better clue of what players are worth in this environment more so than fans on the internet.
The same bankers that risked the Adidas commercial money by not signing Bruno last summer just to save a few million dollars.

It took a damn near miracle run from us and the rest flopping in every game for us to get into top 4 at the very last game of the season.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The financial climate? Jan/Feb time?

Not a chance.
Fans will either start returning to the football grounds or an alternative to it will be found. Else clubs will start going out of business which I very much doubt it will happen.

It's not the traditional type of asset though like a house for example

A- Players are paid ridiculous amount of salaries. Unless useful they become a burden to the club very quickly
B- If the salary is too high then the player is priced out of the market. Take Sanchez as an example. We spent last year paying half his salary to play with someone else then we allowed him to go on free.
C- Players age quickly, they can suffer injuries, they rely on the manager's good will to play them and might have attitude problems.

I am not suggesting that I or anyone in here can do a better job. However its evident that we're giving players ridiculous salaries which makes them very difficult to get rid off which in turn is hurting our club big time. We've got the second highest wage bill and so little to show for it. That all happened under the Woodward-Judge administration.

Why is it a discount? No one else seems to want him and he has 8 or 9 months left on his contract.

Thats not true. For a 28yo LB going into his last contract year, asking for 25mil is reckless. It's a need but not a desperate one. We need to start being financial prudent in our purchases and contract renewals which will create a more.competitive culture. I will either bid max 18mil or promise a sign on fee if we get on a free.
Agreed. This is exactly the type of transfer we should be driving the fee down on.

Tarrou

in these covid times we've gone to a whole new level of fannying around with transfers

reasonably priced deals where every party is bang up for it are still taking ages

acnumber9

Exactly. When have bankers ever fecked anything up?

dinostar77

Is there any actual competition for his signature? Sevilla have be mentioned as have PSG. If there really isnt any actual competition then drive the price down and wait for last day or two of the window. Any saving we make on this deal help fund other positions. Sub £10mil sounds fair to me.

DevilRed

If true, we must be either skint or saving the bulk of the money for Sancho.

But I'm glad the club is taking a hard stance on these transfers. Telles wants out. He will be leaving for a free. We are the only club willing to offer any money.

I'd pay no more than 12m pounds for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.