Alex Telles - SIGNED for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles Miller

Even so, given the pool of selection, I'm surprised how relatively low on quality players find themselves in that team.
Pereira was called because he did well in the WC U-20 and they gave him one chance. Fred was good in champions league games in the past and the coach Tite likes him for some reason.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Read his quotes instead of the fluff around it.

“I realised in the negotiations that was convinced that we were going to give in and that for €50m he was doing the deal. Well they ended up paying 65 million.

“They were wrong and ended up paying what we wanted. We went to get 20 million more than if we had sold four months ago.”

He's blatantly saying that we were offering about €50m and they refused it, then we came back in January and gave them the €65m that they were originally asking. The €20m figure is the rough difference (65m minus 50m is only 15m so obviously the figures aren't exact) between what he would have been accepting if he accepted our original offer and what he got by sticking to his guns and refusing to accept anything under their asking price. The media then spun that to say that we could have got him for €45-50m in the summer, which is actually the exact opposite of what he's saying.
TBH it is hard to work out exactly what went on. I'm definitely not fretting over it but to me it sounds like we could of had Bruno for 50m in the summer refused to pay and ended up paying the 16m extra when we went back in for him in January.

The VP did say we went to get 20m more for him than if we sold him in the summer. Meaning he was for sale in the summer for 50m but there were no takers. That's my take on it anyway.

Pav1878

Nothing against getting the best deal but the danger is another club coming in for him and paying the 20mil

Verminator

TBH it is hard to work out exactly what went on. I'm definitely not fretting over it but to me it sounds like we could of had Bruno for 50m in the summer refused to pay and ended up paying the 16m extra when we went back in for him in January.

The VP did say we went to get 20m more for him than if we sold him in the summer. Meaning he was for sale in the summer for 50m but there were no takers. That's my take on it anyway.
Really?
That reads to me that the offer was 50.
They refused, wanting 70.
4 months later, they got what they wanted for him at 65.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

His first sentence literally says that Utd thought that Sporting would give in and sell him for 50m. He then says Utd were wrong and ended up paying what Sporting wanted.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Really?
That reads to me that the offer was 50.
They refused, wanting 70.
4 months later, they got what they wanted for him at 65.
His first sentence literally says that Utd thought that Sporting would give in and sell him for 50m. He then says Utd were wrong and ended up paying what Sporting wanted.
Not that it matters but it is open to interpretation. Could it be Bruno was for sale in the summer for 50m we refused then when back in in January and offered them the initial 50m which they then refused and held out for the 66m? Like I said , it doesn't matter. At the end of the day we got a great player.

And apologies for derailing the Telles thread.

prateik

The amount we have supposedly offered goes down every day..

I suspect we havent offered anything.. just told them their valuation is unrealistic. the asking price goes down everyday.. at the beginning it went up from 20 to 26ish.. then 18, 15, 12 and now 10.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The amount we have supposedly offered goes down every day..

I suspect we havent offered anything.. just told them their valuation is unrealistic. the asking price goes down everyday.. at the beginning it went up from 20 to 26ish.. then 18, 15, 12 and now 10.
I was wrong to say pull the trigger at €20M quickly; I think I had some details mixed up with the other FB Sergio. It is fine to haggle over this one.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
When we purchase a player the price gets inflated by the media, when we do the price gets deflated. I still think newspapers just throw darts at a board to decide what's happening with transfer rumours that day.

GoldanoGraham

‘It takes a long time to prepare a bid Boss‘, the Judge said to Ed

‘Great tactic Matt, if you leave it right to the death we can save a fortune’, said Woody

‘what if they don’t accept our derisory offer Boss?’, said the unsure Negotiator

‘ummmm, you’ve got one of two options’, Woody smiled cunningly......

‘either pay them what they want and also all the freeloading agents and intermediaries so the price inflates hugely......’

‘or if they tell you where to go because you’ve dicked them around so much and insulted them with the offer.....brief our boys in the press that there is no value in the market and we are concerned about the impact of Covid’.....

‘oh boss that’s a cunning plan - but won’t the fans and the media go ballistic at our transfer strategy.......’, said the concerned Judge

‘we’ve both got a couple of weeks annual leave booked from Tuesday - it’s Ole’s Team - he’s at the wheel - let him deal with it’, said the Glazers Pet CEO

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Never seen such a fuss be made over, what is essentially, a fringe player.

Starting to think we aren't, and never were, really in for him.
He wouldn’t be a fringe player. Shaw’s injury record is appalling. Even if he stays fit all season, Telles could easily displace him.

Revan

Assumptionman
Yet only worth €10M - €20M?
27 and 9 months left on his contract. The best central midfielder in the world was ‘worth’ only 25m for roughly the same reason (last year of his contract), despite being playing for a club that is rich as feck (Munich).

Judas

Open to offers
Because we're well within our rights to do so? If we always over pay people whinge, if we rightfully seek a bargain which it makes sense to do with him, people still whinge. Relentless.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If he's so good, why don't we just pay up and stop pissing about then?
Probably the Sancho deal holding it up. If (big if) we end up paying £108m for Sancho I don't think we'll get Telles as well. If we get somebody like Dembele on loan then we'll just cough up for Telles too I reckon.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Because we're well within our rights to do so? If we always over pay people whinge, if we rightfully seek a bargain which it makes sense to do with him, people still whinge. Relentless.
I've just accepted that most folk will never be happy, man. There will always be whinging one way or the other.

Kostov

A properly run club does not haggle over 5 millions for a potentially starting LB this later in the window. Shambolic situation this.

Pav1878

True. But I think most fans are annoyed because we seem to start haggling when it really isn't the time to do so and we don't haggle when we should.

EdinburghDevil

27 and 9 months left on his contract. The best central midfielder in the world was ‘worth’ only 25m for roughly the same reason (last year of his contract), despite being playing for a club that is rich as feck (Munich).
and somehow Brewster is being sold for about the same as Liverpool paid for Thiago. Is that almost a better piece of business from Liverpool?

Anyway, around 15 - 20m euro doesn't seem outrageous for Telles to me.

I feel like the poor to indifferent start to the season has probably negated any bargaining position we had due to Covid. Teams know that Utd need to strengthen to compete for top 4 and try and get closer to top 2.

Revan

Assumptionman
and somehow Brewster is being sold for about the same as Liverpool paid for Thiago. Is that almost a better piece of business from Liverpool?

Anyway, around 15 - 20m euro doesn't seem outrageous for Telles to me.

I feel like the poor to indifferent start to the season has probably negated any bargaining position we had due to Covid. Teams know that Utd need to strengthen to compete for top 4 and try and get closer to top 2.
I don't think that player that helps us close the gap is Telles though. He might be an improvement over Shaw (mostly cause Shaw is not fit for 60% of the season), but hardly the difference maker.

This is exactly the type of transfer that United should go with a low offer. If they reject it, sign him in a pre-contract 3 months from now.

Porto is gonna accept our low bid on the final day of the transfer window.

A properly run club does not haggle over 5 millions for a potentially starting LB this later in the window. Shambolic situation this.
no a property run club just throws £5m away.

first of all we don’t actually know what’s happening, second of all of course we should be haggling. He’s not a priority, no other club is seemingly in for him, and he can move for free in 9 months.

or perhaps we should just pay the first price another club asks for?

arthurka

This club has no direction, flapping in all directions all the time.
This should be a fairly simple signing to be fair but of course Porto has a price and can do what they want until he leaves next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.